Master System questions

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I bought an 'as is' SMS console off of ebay for cheap and it came without any hook ups. I recently bought a replacement PSU for Genesis model 1, and want to know if I can use it. All the Google results say yes, but this cheap knock off PSU is 8.5 volts not 9 and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't hurting either of the consoles by using a lower voltage unit (even if it was such a small difference).

And just to double check: Three button Genesis controllers will work on this system?

This is even supposing that the console works after I clean it up. It was without a doubt the filthiest console I've ever gotten.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Genesis model 1 ac adapter will work on the SMS, but a SMS adapter may not work on a Genesis since it's only 600 mah or something. You'll be fine. The AV cables are the same too.

Genesis controllers do work fine, although there are a couple of games that may have issues. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Wonderboy in Monster Land, you have to clip the wire going to the Start button or the game will freak out. I don't even have a SMS controller anymore, I use a 6 button pad for everything.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The Genesis model 1 ac adapter will work on the SMS, but a SMS adapter may not work on a Genesis since it's only 600 mah or something. You'll be fine. The AV cables are the same too.

Genesis controllers do work fine, although there are a couple of games that may have issues. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Wonderboy in Monster Land, you have to clip the wire going to the Start button or the game will freak out. I don't even have a SMS controller anymore, I use a 6 button pad for everything.

At the time I loved the two gloriously spongy buttons on the original SMS controller, but playing with it since I can see why you don't use it any more. I found it a real chore on golden axe.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Cool, so a 6-button using the 'mode' feature will work just fine? Sweet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't have to hit mode even. You just use b and c.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
If you have any PCE AV cords lying around, I know those work with Model 1 SMS systems.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have model one PSU and AV cords already, so it seems I was more prepared for this than I thought. I love it when companies use the same connectors from system to system. Saves a lot of hassle.

Oh, and a big thanks for the super quick replies guys.

Redguard

New Challenger
I bought an 'as is' SMS console off of ebay for cheap and it came without any hook ups. I recently bought a replacement PSU for Genesis model 1, and want to know if I can use it. All the Google results say yes, but this cheap knock off PSU is 8.5 volts not 9 and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't hurting either of the consoles by using a lower voltage unit (even if it was such a small difference).

And just to double check: Three button Genesis controllers will work on this system?

This is even supposing that the console works after I clean it up. It was without a doubt the filthiest console I've ever gotten.

Any idea if the "as is" SMS works?

faselei!

n00b
Any idea if the "as is" SMS works?

..and if it does work, what is the built in game(s)?

I recommend installing the fm sound card, there are quite a few games that have fm sound tracks, wonder boy 3 sounds amazing!

Anyway I hope you get it working

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
You can use a Megadrive 1/Genesis 1, Mega-CD 1/Sega-CD 1, Mega-CD 2/Sega-CD 2 PSU with both Master System 1 and 2.
You can use Megadrive 1/Genesis 1 AV cord with both Master System 1 and 2.
You can use 3 or 6 buttons Megadrive/Genesis controllers on both Master System 1 and 2 except for few games (Bomber Raid, Montezuma's Revenge, Penguin Land, Shanghai, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, Wonder Boy in Monster Land).
Button B = button 1
Button C = button 2

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've been busy this week, so I'm going to clean it out and test it this weekend. When I say clean, I mean CLEAN. Filthiest console I've ever purchased.

The game that came with it cleaned up nice and worked in my Game Gear using the Master Gear Converter, so I have high hopes for the console. Pity it was just a golf game. I ordered a lot of five loose games off of the 'bay, but the seller goofed and I only ended up with one game (he made good on it, so no real worries there).

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
I've been busy this week, so I'm going to clean it out and test it this weekend. When I say clean, I mean CLEAN. Filthiest console I've ever purchased.

The game that came with it cleaned up nice and worked in my Game Gear using the Master Gear Converter, so I have high hopes for the console. Pity it was just a golf game. I ordered a lot of five loose games off of the 'bay, but the seller goofed and I only ended up with one game (he made good on it, so no real worries there).

Some of the earlier models of the first SMS also had that dumb maze game, if I remember correctly it requires some sort of button combination when turning on the console to enable it.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Happy to report that the 'as is' SMS works like a champ. For those wondering: It has the snail in a maze game included, which I was actually happy to get since the only way to play it, simple as it is, is to own a SMS with that already on it.

The water that I used to clean the system was not quite as brown as the stuff coming out of the taps in Flint, MI. But close.

Redguard

New Challenger
Happy to report that the 'as is' SMS works like a champ. For those wondering: It has the snail in a maze game included, which I was actually happy to get since the only way to play it, simple as it is, is to own a SMS with that already on it.

The water that I used to clean the system was not quite as brown as the stuff coming out of the taps in Flint, MI. But close.

Congrats. SMS forever!

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner

Montezuma's Revenge is another game that doesn't like Genesis pads.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My only recommend is Ninja Gaiden...I dunno much about the system but that game was awesome!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My Favorites:

Golden Axe Warrior
Thunder Blade
Hang-on
Astro Warrior
Any of the Aleste/Power Strike titles
Phantasy Star
Time Soldiers
Cloud Master
OutRun
Ninja Gaiden
My Hero
TransBot
Ys
Choplifter
Afterburner

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Probably going the flash cart route for this console. I'll definitely want to check out Ninja Gaiden and the version of GnG that it has.

I ran into the controller problem right away (Shanghai), but it seems that I can just build my own stick for this system, as it doesn't need a special chip or anything.

Last edited: