Market Forum- can't buy anything good

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
OK, let's say for example Hagane SNES, it's been selling for crazy money lately but sometimes you can get it for less. Now here is an auction that began at 99 cents, decide what's the maximum amount of money you're willing to pay for it but don't bid yet, make a low bid, like a 3rd, it will swap away all the flies and just keep the real interested ones who might eat you already by a few dollars, let it go, don't worry about it, once you hit the last 20 seconds place your maximum bid and then right after it place another for 2 or 3 dollars more, just do it, if you win, you got the game for what you wanted to play plus 3 bucks more 'cause you beat competitors that tried sniping your max bid to begin with, it's just a decoy, if you didn't win no harm done, you will find another using the same method. Sniping is the second (last 20 seconds secondary bid with the 3 or so bucks increase on top of your already max price bid), sniping is not the first bid nor the max bid but in fact the last possible bid in the last amount of time allotted to make a bid. One shot! Not one bid! Comprende?!

Maybe I'm not explaining it right but it has worked for me faithfully over many years without having to pay more than what I intended to (2 3 bucks isn't gonna make me loose sleep) I've been doing this for a long while, I've gotten everything I have wanted, you just have to make a conscious decision as to how much is your max and don't deviate. Again, if it goes over your max before sniping time then forget it, let them fools overpay. It's no rocket science man, pretty easy if you ask me, now don't you fuckers go doing this to me 'cause I'll find you!

You've got this down to a formula. I really don't see any other way to bid except to snipe, or BIN. I will watch an auction I am interested in, if the price goes over what I am willing to pay, then I don't even have to worry about sniping; I just move on. However, if the price is still in my range, then I will snipe with my max bid with 5-10 seconds remaining and then let the cards fall where they may.

The only time I will place a traditional bid is if I want to get rid of the BIN option for others.

Like I have said before, my gripe with ebay is that there are far less auctions and much more BIN, so there is not as much of a chance to snipe as there was in the past.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I pretty much only buy from buy it now or best offer listings any more. Auctions last too long - no one needs 7 days to decide if they want a £30 video game, I want it in my hand before that, never mind still waiting on the price part of the transaction.

Also if you give me 7 days to buy something I'll pretty much always talk myself out of it, no matter what it is.

As for sniping, 99% of auctions are double the price I'm willing to pay before they even make the last hour so it's all a bit irrelevant to a scrooge like me.

If you give me seven days to sell something, I generally talk myself into it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I just put the max bid of what I am willing to pay, if someone wants to snipe more than that then oh well, let them overpay.
You can do that, but if it's a popular item, often you'll find that somebody will bid a little more than your max and win it. They probably think that if you're willing to pay that as a maximum, the item is probably worth that, and they are willing to pay that too.
I think in a lot of cases, peoples' maximum bids aren't outrageously high. They are cautious about how high they make their max bid. Depends on what the item is, and how badly they want it.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Ebay's current fee system encourages BIN over auctions, and now the system will warn you if you try to set your BIN below the market value. All so Ebay can make more on their cut. More details here:

http://blog.pricecharting.com/2014/09/ebay-gives-sellers-good-bin-price.html

This is one of the main issues, ebay took away incentive to price items to sell or as auction. Now every one can drop inflated BINs that don't sell hoping for a buyer to get impatient. If it doesn't sell, relist it for free for infinity. No reason to lower the price.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
You can do that, but if it's a popular item, often you'll find that somebody will bid a little more than your max and win it. They probably think that if you're willing to pay that as a maximum, the item is probably worth that, and they are willing to pay that too.
I think in a lot of cases, peoples' maximum bids aren't outrageously high. They are cautious about how high they make their max bid. Depends on what the item is, and how badly they want it.

Then why not just put your max you are willing to pay and then add a couple dollars?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Then that wouldn't be the max he was willing to pay, would it?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Then why not just put your max you are willing to pay and then add a couple dollars?
I don't know what you mean. The whole point of placing a maximum bid is that you don't have to be there when the auction finishes.

gtdoering

New Challenger
I don't buy much from the market. Obvious low post count and newbie status. But I do check it often to see what games are going for to gauge what I should look for in prices else where ie. eBay. The market is a better gauge for collector prices and not the obvious flipper prices that most eBay sellers price at. I use it as a learning tool since I'm new to collecting SNK. Which I'm really enjoying.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't buy much from the market. Obvious low post count and newbie status. But I do check it often to see what games are going for to gauge what I should look for in prices else where ie. eBay. The market is a better gauge for collector prices and not the obvious flipper prices that most eBay sellers price at. I use it as a learning tool since I'm new to collecting SNK. Which I'm really enjoying.
The Selling forum here is one of the tools for determining the price of a cart, as well as neogeokult.com, ebay, and the ng.com price guide. And there aren't guides for some of the other things, like posters, etc.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
There are bots that can perform said function. I have one following Panda right now waiting for scoops.

Is that why I can't get a copy of Windjammers?

I seriously logged in mere minutes after the last time someone posted Windjammers and missed out.