MARIO RUN

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
So Nintendo's first real cell phone game (I don't count Pokemon Go) Mario Run, came out the other day. Who else got this besides me? What do you guys think of it?

I haven't played it too much yet, just the first two worlds, but pretty fun so far. Not sure if I'll like it better than the Rayman games on IOS, which are great and keep getting more content. Also the Rayman games are cheaper.

Hopefully Nintendo follows in Ubisofts footsteps and keeps on adding more levels/worlds in the future. But since it's Nintendo, more content will probably require more $$$.

So yeah, what are you're guys thoughts on this new mobile game from Nintendo?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Fuck the direction gaming is heading, would be my first thought.

Bah humbug, I know.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think the rayman games are a better deal. Ten Dollars is pretty steep for a mobile game.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I hear it uses friendcodes :keke:

It's something Nintendo had to do. I remember idiots on here telling me I was a retard a few years ago when I said that it was inevitable that Nintendo would start using mobile platforms. That said, it's a good move that they didn't try to put actual d-pad and A + B button controls on this. They tailored it to the touchscreen experience. I think one reason why I love Nintendo is because they don't try to cram bullshit into things where bullshit doesn't fit. They acknowledge that traditional controls on a touchscreen suck and don't force it. I'd assume slower games (Animal Crossing, Pikmin) will be closer to their original gameplay formats than Super Mario Run is to Super Mario Bros., but again with touch controls instead of virtual controllers like in the Sonic iOS ports or KoF XIII on iOS.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Anyone here wonder by their wording on the game, if they intend to milk more than $10 out of this? Thanks for playing, purchase 1-4 through World 6 for 9.99. Shortest (even if it's a 1 touch mario game) Mario platformer since Mario Land 1989. I've enjoyed the first three stages, just not ready to pull the trigger as I'm awaiting the Android release before I decide most likely. May change my mood in a moment of boredom though. Even as a one tap title it's the most responsive and well crafted one I touched as it doesn't alienate you with wonky controls or really crappy floaty touch panel abuse either. They got a good thing going there, makes me wonder what depths they'll go to with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem next.

I could see AC being sort of like that castaway knockoff game on android/ios. Have timers, or perhaps not. Maybe give the game away with a smaller shop to encourage people to spend real coin to buy a set of clothes, furniture, etc for their houses.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Can't get it to run on my jailbroken iPad or iPhone, doesn't surprise me being Nintendo and their draconian DRM and protection

Played on my iPad mini and seems ok, not ready to part with £9.99 on it

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I would have paid 3 bucks for it, 4 begrudgingly at a max. There's no way I'm paying 10 bucks for a mobile infinite run game, Mario or not. Nice to see Nintendo have adopted the Squenix pricing point for mobile games. I'm just gonna sit tight for the Switch.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Pricing is an issue, but admittedly I enjoy playing it. Seems like the people who made angry birds were shitting money and they sold it for what 1.99 originally? Still these days if you buy something they seem to flood you with ads while you are trying to play it so maybe they will ad version for people who are to cheap to pay up :-)

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
So Nintendo's first real cell phone game (I don't count Pokemon Go) Mario Run, came out the other day. Who else got this besides me? What do you guys think of it?

I haven't played it too much yet, just the first two worlds, but pretty fun so far. Not sure if I'll like it better than the Rayman games on IOS, which are great and keep getting more content. Also the Rayman games are cheaper.

Hopefully Nintendo follows in Ubisofts footsteps and keeps on adding more levels/worlds in the future. But since it's Nintendo, more content will probably require more $$$.

So yeah, what are you're guys thoughts on this new mobile game from Nintendo?

Oh thought I mention I read a quote from miyamoto that said there will be no additional content and that 9.99 would be a one time deal, and that title will never cost any additional money.

So the other way to read this is for more levels you will pay 9.99 for Mario run 2.

Also you can't play this at all without internet connectivity which seems odd, as is the fact that the android release wasn't released yet although Probably doesn't matter to them as anyone with an android phone doesn't pay for games at least the ones I know personally.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've got to look for that quote because the wording on it made the purchase seem open to having yet another expansion for more cash later. A clearer pop up would have been like to purchase the rest of the game it's 9.99 not World 1-4 through 6. It makes you think so a 7 is coming for more $?

Nevermind found it: http://www.newseveryday.com/article...s-free-to-play-space-what-we-need-to-know.htm So unless they go back on it later, it's it.

Nintendo repeatedly years ago when they started to get onto the bandwagon of DLC with the 3DS in its early days said DLC would always be free unless the game came out with noted free DLC but would be entirely optional to enjoy the experience that they wouldn't hide any of an actual game behind a later to be determined pay wall. They didn't want to look parasitic like so many other IAP scumbags who just keep on milking. Nintendo was to be about a free DLC or a ONE and DONE DLC thing (even if the 1 in done was a few packs, they'd be known.) They stuck to that even with all the added fluff with Fire Emblem Awakening, and also on them kind of being scum about Mario Golf 3DS as they withheld 20% of the game to charge $15+ for it so they've kind of gone both ways.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Pricing is an issue, but admittedly I enjoy playing it. Seems like the people who made angry birds were shitting money and they sold it for what 1.99 originally? Still these days if you buy something they seem to flood you with ads while you are trying to play it so maybe they will ad version for people who are to cheap to pay up :-)

I'd assume companies actually make more money of free (ad supported) games than they do paid (no ad) counterparts. Those ads are sold on an impression basis, every 1,000 impressions being worth $X. I've seen thousands of ads while playing Words with Friends. So even if they only got a fraction of a penny each time, they're still making more than if I paid them the $2 price for the non-ad version.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I've got to look for that quote because the wording on it made the purchase seem open to having yet another expansion for more cash later. A clearer pop up would have been like to purchase the rest of the game it's 9.99 not World 1-4 through 6. It makes you think so a 7 is coming for more $?

Nevermind found it: http://www.newseveryday.com/article...s-free-to-play-space-what-we-need-to-know.htm So unless they go back on it later, it's it.

Uh, maybe I'm just missing something, but where in that article does it say that Nintendo doesn't plan on releasing any more content for Mario Run? I didn't see them talking about adding more content or being against that sort of thing. Maybe I'm just not catching it, but I did notice that Miyamoto would like to make a Minecraft like game. That would get zero interest from me.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I tried it. Like it, but it's nothing more than a mobile game. I still prefer playing SMB3 any day.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I tried it, too. Very good game, ultra-HD style graphics, new music and, if you want to collect all coins, a nice difficulty.

So to speak, a Mario speedrun challenge.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Uh, maybe I'm just missing something, but where in that article does it say that Nintendo doesn't plan on releasing any more content for Mario Run? I didn't see them talking about adding more content or being against that sort of thing. Maybe I'm just not catching it, but I did notice that Miyamoto would like to make a Minecraft like game. That would get zero interest from me.

Right here quoted: "Nintendo and Apple worked together to have the app running in iPhones. However, Miyamoto added a twist to the free to play platform. The app is free to download but a $9.99 rate is charged to the user in order to unlock the whole game. This is a one-time charge so for the user to enjoy "Super Mario Run."" As far as your other question being against it, they said it a few years back in various articles each time they started to dig more and more into DLC on the Nintendo3DS and it's not in that piece. Also agree, a Nintendo minecraft I don't think I'd buy. I ended up grabbing that game a couple years back on a sale as I was curious and got bored with it pretty fast.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Beat it last night and have no desire to replay for score.

Not a good title. Especially using their #1 ip

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It's shallow compared to your usual Mario game, totally agree. But if you're just stuck somewhere and have 5 minutes or so, it's a very well made and fun distraction. To just downright go after clearing the stages it could get boring or annoying I think fairly quickly especially if you go after the colored coins. I still think it's probably the best crafted RUN game I've played or looked into trying/buying though for whatever that's worth.

Just a fun idea though, if you want a more fleshed out platformer that oddly works very well look into Super Cat Adventures (aka Super Cat Bros on iOS.) It's free to play, will rarely/randomly throw an ad up you can instantly escape. You just have a left and right button, but the game is crafted for much utility with it. Double taps will run. Many cats to come across, each with talents like long jump, wall smash, etc. There are some little helpers you can find or buy with in game mario-esque gold coins. It's a shockingly good and not pushy optional IAP touch game that oddly doesn't have crap controls that ruin it. Game only eats up like 50MB on a device so it's not a pig and it's far longer with more worlds/stages than Mario and it's no runner.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I have it but the worst part by far is the DRM. It would be fun to play when you have no wifi

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Right here quoted: "Nintendo and Apple worked together to have the app running in iPhones. However, Miyamoto added a twist to the free to play platform. The app is free to download but a $9.99 rate is charged to the user in order to unlock the whole game. This is a one-time charge so for the user to enjoy "Super Mario Run."" As far as your other question being against it, they said it a few years back in various articles each time they started to dig more and more into DLC on the Nintendo3DS and it's not in that piece

Um, as far as anything I've ever read regarding their stance on DLC, they are against charging for additional content. Also, those articles/interviews were referring to other games not cell phone games.

Not saying that Nintendo will definitely follow in Ubisoft's footsteps, but both Rayman Run games on IOS/Android had a one time fee and have been adding quite a bit of content ever since for no additional charge.

As far as what I think of Mario Run, it's cool. Probably not worth $10, but I've definitely spent more money on dumber things than this game. I really hope they do add more levels and gameplay modes. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I know this isn't exactly a common concern but a good amount of my weekly dead time is spent on an airplane. I guess it is similar to folks riding the subway.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Have it, playing it, trying to get more mushroom people to unlock other characters. It's okay. Don't know if it was worth 10 bucks. But it's decent.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'd have bought it, if it had been released on Android at the same time. Going iPhone exclusive (for now) seems ridiculous to me. By time it comes out on Android it will be old news and I would have probably played it on a friends phone.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
The game is boring and breaks a bunch of stuff mario is known for. Having no air control sucks, vaulting over goombas sucks, no walking left. Do yourself a favor and play a good mobile autorun platformer like King of Thieves.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Shit game - stupid mario runs like an idiot non-stop. They should have at least introduced a button that slows him down when needed.