MAME vs HARDWARE

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
i like natural tits, fake tits, small tits, gigantic tits and everything between small and gigantic. tits on women are overall a very good idea / invention.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
I don't like fake tits.

First of all they...look....fake...

second: they all look like they're gonna explode any second and I will have my face full with glycerin, silicon or whatever they put in there nowadays...

Missile

Another Striker
The truth is that emulation devalues games. When you only have a few games on real hardware you really play them to death and get the most from them.

I only play mame when I am practising tough sections in games.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Really hardware is the best in my opinion. Even playing SS2 on the Wii anthology didn't feel quite right. Practicing on emulators is great, but you can use unibios to practice also...

LlorensBlood

Mr. Big's Thug
In my opinion, I enjoy a lot playing original games, much more than emulation or fake copies. I don't know why... but the feeling is different, due to I play this or that videogame, meanwhile I think that this hardware and software were made by the original factory... I don't know. Time ago, I played emulated games but nowadays in my forties, this is the way I completely enjoy videogames.

And by the way, speaking about AES games, nothing else is better than those pretty and original games on the gameroom shelves

adeneo

n00b
I think emulation sucks, and at the same time it's great!

Having MAME set up with thousands of games across all sorts of systems sure makes it easy to actually play the games, and saves a lot of money, but compared to original hardware it mostly sucks.

Ever/SD/Multi-drives are great though.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
"I'm a credulous weirdo who believes in ghosts, so I think that digital games made up of 1s and 0s are magically different when emulated even though I'm middle aged and don't even have reaction time fast enough to notice the difference if there's multiple frames of input lag."

The reality is that playing Neo Geo games in GroovyMAME on a CRT is closer to playing actual hardware on a CRT than playing real hardware connected to a laggy LCD. So the difference in input and output devices matters more than whether it's emulated or not.

bulbousbeard

Two things:

Some of us (especially here) are looking to recreate the original arcade experience perfectly. So we don't want to "improve" the games. Like if I'm playing Metal Slug 2 without the slowdown, it starts to feel like I'm not really playing Metal Slug 2. No thank you.

Translation: I'm a psychopath. We got it. Metal Slug 2 has slowdown because of the technical incompetence of the people who programmed it--NOT because it was some artistic intention that came from meditating in the full lotus position at the top of a mountain. Every Neo Metal Slug is a technical disaster, really. 30hz update sacks of shit. I'm going to get around to fixing that at some point.

And secondly, emulation doesn't fix flicker problems. 99% of the time, emulation CREATES flicker problems. For example, try to find a good version of the Fatal Fury 3 intro on youtube. Can't be done. Every single one anyone has ever posted is fucked up. Why? Because they come from emulation which ruined the car window effect. And I have never encountered a problem with shadows for fighting game characters created with a flicker effect on an MVS cab. I've never encountered a problem with them on a Neo homecart system. But on emulation? Yeah, THAT is where you will find fucked up shadow effects left and right all the time.

Man, you're dumber than a sack of bricks. There is no "flicker" problem. Your shitty Dell laptop runs at 60hz, and the shitty Dell laptop that someone used to record video of FF3 ran at 60hz, and the original hardware runs at ~59.185hz. Yeah, it's not going sync. No shit dude. You also get juddering when the camera pans in movies filmed at 24fps but are displayed at 60hz. It's not an emulation problem. If you have a variable refresh monitor (which you don't--you have a Dell laptop) or run an emulator on a CRT at the right refresh rate, they display perfectly. They're not "shadow effects." It's just a simple matter of the display refresh rate not being an even multiple of the original hardware's refresh rate.

I could put a GroovyMAME computer in a 4 slot cabinet, let you play on it for hours, and you wouldn't even know it wasn't real hardware. You're so full of shit it's pouring out of your ears.

Finally, even though you're so stupid you're not worth my time, copying software is never "stealing." It's copyright infringement. And copyright infringement is a great thing--especially when zombie companies like SNK that still exist in name only are only around to prey on dumb consumers like you who think that buying trash from them makes it "official."

Basically everyone who actually worked on the games we love is retired, dead, or working at a different company. I couldn't give less of a fuck about whether the current suits running a different company that just happens to be called SNK get to cash in on shitty Nintendo digital store re-releases or vomit inducing mobile games.

In other words, sit on my cock and rotate.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
thefr.gif

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Just stop all this original hardware nonsense and get a good mame setup going. There is no fucking difference in 2019. Stop being faggots.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
30hz update sacks of shit. I'm going to get around to fixing that at some point.

Well, frame rate may also be called the frame frequency, and be expressed in hertz, but then it can get confused with the refresh rate, because the latter is also expressed in Hz. Anyway, if you refer to fps, then how do you want to render any 30fps Metal Slug into real 60 frames per second??? Not even M2 is good at it, while Rutubo did a miracle with OutRun and they had the source code. There's a whole list of games that would need such rendering, among others Story of Thor or Ex-Ranza, and, at some point, you'll be the miracle guy, right? Do tell...

bulbousbeard

Just stop all this original hardware nonsense and get a good mame setup going. There is no fucking difference in 2019. Stop being faggots.

There ARE subtle differences between MAME and real hardware mostly related to the absence of wait state emulation (if you don't downclock or overclock the machine when running Garou, for example, the raster effects in one of the backgrounds gets fucked up), which is why it's irritating to see clueless people bitch about things that aren't even issues while ignoring the actual problems that still exist. The thing is, the actual differences are so subtle and minute it's comical that these slack jawed tricycle seat sniffers actually think they can perceive them with their shitty dulled senses. Most of the people bitching about emulation aren't even sober 3/4ths of the day. I know the difference between real hardware and emulation better than anyone here, and even though it's there, it's so insignificant that you'd have to have a 12 foot hair up your ass to notice or give a fuck.

If we really want to end it here, I can use my phone to record Fatal Fury 3 running on a 27" Sony Trinitron using GroovyMAME. You'd see that the intro looks perfect.

Well, frame rate may also be called the frame frequency, and be expressed in hertz, but then it can get confused with the refresh rate, because the latter is also expressed in Hz. Anyway, if you refer to fps, then how do you want to render any 30fps Metal Slug into real 60 frames per second??? Not even M2 is good at it, while Rutubo did a miracle with OutRun and they had the source code. There's a whole list of games that would need such rendering, among others Story of Thor or Ex-Ranza, and, at some point, you'll be the miracle guy, right? Do tell...

The funny thing is that Cannonball is actually closer to the arcade game than the Saturn Sega Ages version. I really wouldn't be surprised if the more recent Sega Ages Outrun ports weren't just lifting Cannonball's code. Stealing from open source projects is the M.O. of contemporary trash tier Japanese developers. At some point, I'm probably going to rewrite Metal Slug from scratch for the PC. It'll be framerate and resolution independent, so you could play it at 60hz, 144hz, or 240hz if you wanted to. I'll probably make it 4+ players at once, too. I've already written a 2D engine that could power any Neo Geo or CPS game (in fact, it's already an overkill for that).

What movie is this again? It gave me a flashback and I can't remember why!!!

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I’m looking into the Arpicade. Dude, what was that setup you showed me a couple of years back? Did you end up getting one? I forgot what they were called, found some pics but looks like the dude doesn’t make them anymore.

bulbousbeard

I’m looking into the Arpicade. Dude, what was that setup you showed me a couple of years back? Did you end up getting one? I forgot what they were called, found some pics but looks like the dude doesn’t make them anymore.

If you really want it to be indistinguishable from real hardware for the average person, you kind of need a fast Intel CPU PC so that you can use frame delay with GroovyMAME to get the input lag down to nothing. Pis aren't fast enough to do it.

Also, MAME emulates the QSound DSP now, so if you actually want the later CPS1 and CPS2 games to sound authentic, Pis are off the table. They're not fast enough to emulate it at full speed.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If you really want it to be indistinguishable from real hardware for the average person, you kind of need a fast Intel CPU PC so that you can use frame delay with GroovyMAME to get the input lag down to nothing. Pis aren't fast enough to do it.

Also, MAME emulates the QSound DSP now, so if you actually want the later CPS1 and CPS2 games to sound authentic, Pis are off the table. They're not fast enough to emulate it at full speed.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I need something more powerful. I don’t want a tower in my cabs though. Something small and compact with CPU, heatsink, Jamma connector and USB for ROMS is what I’m after. And I’m too lazy to make it myself, plus I don’t have the time. Looking to lay down the money and play some games.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

http://www.arcadepcs.com/mk3/

Works excellent. I had the pi jamma thing with a pi2. A lot of games still had issues I found, haven’t tried it with a pi 3. A proper PC with mame is excellent though. Occasionally you’ll notice a small bug somewhere but 99% of the time it’s perfect.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
http://www.arcadepcs.com/mk3/

Works excellent. I had the pi jamma thing with a pi2. A lot of games still had issues I found, haven’t tried it with a pi 3. A proper PC with mame is excellent though. Occasionally you’ll notice a small bug somewhere but 99% of the time it’s perfect.

That’s it man, cheers. I’ll hit this guy up and see what’s available.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Those look pretty nice, but I just wish they had a case/shell of some kind.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
You're better off just making those yourself. Those aren't even anything special to assemble, they're just MicroATX motherboards with a microATX power supply, RAM, CPU, a m.2 SSD hard drive and a JPAC slapped on. Just throw that shit in a cart from newegg.com.