Magician Lord -Same Name Different Game

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

I generally like this guy’s content comparing and contrasting games on different formats.

here he talks about Magician Lord.

couple things I didn’t know:

the original location test deemed it too easy so they made it harder, and then later on they decided they made it too hard in the end.

ADK originally made stereo equipment

EGM at the time said it would be the best Neo Geo game that would ever be made

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Joe asked me to do the honor of reading the Akira Ushizawa quotes for this one. Magician Lord has always been an interesting one, worthy of more attention. I actually arrived at the opposite opinion in my video -- I feel that the original AES mode is the only way to play, unless you're using real coins or going for 1CC.

The EGM review is hilarious. Martin Alessi must have assumed the Neo Geo wouldn't last more than a year or so.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Joe asked me to do the honor of reading the Akira Ushizawa quotes for this one. Magician Lord has always been an interesting one, worthy of more attention. I actually arrived at the opposite opinion in my video -- I feel that the original AES mode is the only way to play, unless you're using real coins or going for 1CC.

The EGM review is hilarious. Martin Alessi must have assumed the Neo Geo wouldn't last more than a year or so.
Yeah I heard him give you a shout out in the end, glad he got someone from here involved, and that’s great you contributed

I agree with you about EGM, he seems to allude that most magazines didn’t know what to make of the system, whether to cover it or not as it would be outside the affordability spectrum of many buyers at the time and if the system have any staying power. That’s interesting Gamefan took so long to review the Neo as just like he said they always catered more to the “hardcore” crowd

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Magician Lord does stand out from early SNK/ADK output so I agree with the rating lol.

I feel like Magician Lord is a great home system game if you allow yourself to go AES like Neo Alec mentioned, but allowing yourself more than one credit trivializes rough spots where ADK thought would be nice to swarm you with credit stealing flying enemies (those magically stop appearing if you continue after losing all lives), and this can be good or bad depending on your point of view :lolz:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
IMG_20210518_093058.jpg
Anyone else remember seeing this boss for the first time? A big whoa moment for me. Like I'm seeing something only adults should. Blood everywhere and a pentagram also made with blood.

A sequel, man imagine what could have been. I'd trade one of the World Heroes for one easily.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Then you realize the "pentagram" is actually an incomplete star of david, or rather a triangle with four rays coming from under it. Maybe that's why that boss is so trivial.

THAT POWER IS POWERLESS IN OUR PRESENCE.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
View attachment 49593
Anyone else remember seeing this boss for the first time? A big whoa moment for me. Like I'm seeing something only adults should. Blood everywhere and a pentagram also made with blood.

A sequel, man imagine what could have been. I'd trade one of the World Heroes for one easily.
By the late '90s a sequel was actually planned.

Last edited: