Magic:The Gathering

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just saw this video today, LMAO

Fuuuuuk standard. (and fuck this idiot for buying high and not selling before the rotation crash.)

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just saw this video today, LMAO

Fuuuuuk standard. (and fuck this idiot for buying high and not selling before the rotation crash.)

Standard isnt that bad. The fool should have just stuck to one deck. Seemed like he had almost every staple card for standard.

I play red based decks and deck buying usually sets me back by about $100-$200 bucks each standard season. The only downside is most the cards do lose value when they rotate and you wont get very much back by reselling your deck. But that is usually offset by the amount i usually end up winning during the season.

I would love to get into modern, legacy, or vintage but hardly any of those formats get played in my area.

Is anyone playing the cube draft on MTGO? prize payout sucks but you get to play for very cheap it you can win at least 2 games.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Recently sold my collection for almost $800 to a shop and a couple of friends, but I held onto a Jace that I pulled from the pre release from 3 months ago because a co worker was kinda interested in it. But sadly for him it went from like a $30 card and skyrocketed close to $100 all in a span of a few weeks :D

Also found out that my local shop has been running modern successfully on Saturdays for the past 2 months so it is giving me some inspiration to build modern now.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Recently sold my collection for almost $800 to a shop and a couple of friends, but I held onto a Jace that I pulled from the pre release from 3 months ago because a co worker was kinda interested in it. But sadly for him it went from like a $30 card and skyrocketed close to $100 all in a span of a few weeks :D

Also found out that my local shop has been running modern successfully on Saturdays for the past 2 months so it is giving me some inspiration to build modern now.

I have been slowly going over to modern for a bit now as I am sick of throwing money away on standard. I am also building my first cube which has been a lot of work the last couple weeks but I am half way there can't wait to be drafting it with my friends. Magic should be fun and the standard format has been getting more terrible every year IMO and I am getting sick of losing all my money on rotation. magic should be fun and not stressful which is what standard has become IMO.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I've been building a cube based on the 2014 holiday cube... buying all of the cheap cards I don't already have, then I'm proxying the rest. Especially the power 9...

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I stopped playing standard a few months ago. Sold my cards and got a couple hundred. Im just interested in limited formats (draft,sealed)
So far BFZ draft is really fun.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Yeah, I've been building a cube based on the 2014 holiday cube... buying all of the cheap cards I don't already have, then I'm proxying the rest. Especially the power 9...

Yeah im building a legacy cube so no power 9 but still expensive as hell

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Cube drafting is really the way to go. I had a friend order one from a chinese website.
Whenever we get bored with standard and edh we would all just bust out the cube.
Haven't had the chance to draft BFZ yet but it does look like fun to draft but sadly there isn't much from that set that will have any value outside of standard. The dual lands are nice but they wont see any play outside of edh and maybe some very few decks as "one of" at most.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Cube drafting is really the way to go. I had a friend order one from a chinese website.
Whenever we get bored with standard and edh we would all just bust out the cube.
Haven't had the chance to draft BFZ yet but it does look like fun to draft but sadly there isn't much from that set that will have any value outside of standard. The dual lands are nice but they wont see any play outside of edh and maybe some very few decks as "one of" at most.

personally I think the BFZ limited format sucks too many creatures clogging the board and not enough interaction with spells. landfall is about the only saving grace for limited IMO

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, for some reason I wasn't that impressed with the Tarkir block, but it was 10x better than this new one so far.

I actually went and made a Temur deck a few days ago, and there's lots of synergy I never knew this set had because I ignored Dragons of Tarkir completely. What a mistake. Now I want some Atarka's Commands and some Deathmist Raptors to round this thing off and it's really going to kick ass.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
So, I've been cataloging my collection so I don't have to go through binders and boxes to see what cards I have. I was working on a small lot of about 100 foreign cards. At the very end, I found a near mint Italian Karakas. I remember when I used to play in the 90s those were worthless. Can't believe how much they go for now. Granted, it's Italian, so it won't fetch 150+, but I bet it would go for about 100 for the condition it's in.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So, I've been cataloging my collection so I don't have to go through binders and boxes to see what cards I have. I was working on a small lot of about 100 foreign cards. At the very end, I found a near mint Italian Karakas. I remember when I used to play in the 90s those were worthless. Can't believe how much they go for now. Granted, it's Italian, so it won't fetch 150+, but I bet it would go for about 100 for the condition it's in.

Very nice! Yeah, karakas has become an EDH staple so you're in for some money now!

BTW, played my new Temur deck against my cousin the other day... and I beat him 3-0. I'm loving it.

Here's the decklist so far (still want some deathmist raptors and fetchlands in there):

Creatures (28!):

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Beastcaller Savant
4x Rattleclaw Mystic
4x Heir of the Wilds
4x Savage Knuckleblade
2x Temur Sabretooth
2x Surrak Dragonclaw
2x Sagu Mauler
2x Sarkhan Unbroken

Spells (8):

3x Crater's Claws
2x Lightning Bolt
3x Atarka's Command

Land (24):

4x Breeding Pool
4x Stomping Ground
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Misty Rainforest
2x Mana Confluence
8x Forest
4x Mountain

So damn creature heavy, but most of them are mana dorks so it's very, very efficient. A turn 2 Savage Knuckleblade is my favorite opener. Actually haven't even had the chance to use crater's claws yet, which was the original win condition for this deck.

I gotta figure out where to slot in those raptors and how many, there's tons of morphs in this deck so I could see one coming back into play from the graveyard a few times per game, such a good card.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
That deck looks pretty fun. I'm looking into building an Eldrazi ramp deck. Can't decide on mono green, green red, or Temur. If I do Temur, it would probably only be so that I could include a Kiora or two. It seems like people are finally finding ways to work Eldrazi into their decks in interesting ways. Really looking forward to the next set. I know BFZ really felt like it had a low power level, but I still love the set.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Very nice! Yeah, karakas has become an EDH staple so you're in for some money now!

BTW, played my new Temur deck against my cousin the other day... and I beat him 3-0. I'm loving it.

Here's the decklist so far (still want some deathmist raptors and fetchlands in there):

Creatures (28!):

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Beastcaller Savant
4x Rattleclaw Mystic
4x Heir of the Wilds
4x Savage Knuckleblade
2x Temur Sabretooth
2x Surrak Dragonclaw
2x Sagu Mauler
2x Sarkhan Unbroken

Spells (8):

3x Crater's Claws
2x Lightning Bolt
3x Atarka's Command

Land (24):

4x Breeding Pool
4x Stomping Ground
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Misty Rainforest
2x Mana Confluence
8x Forest
4x Mountain

So damn creature heavy, but most of them are mana dorks so it's very, very efficient. A turn 2 Savage Knuckleblade is my favorite opener. Actually haven't even had the chance to use crater's claws yet, which was the original win condition for this deck.

I gotta figure out where to slot in those raptors and how many, there's tons of morphs in this deck so I could see one coming back into play from the graveyard a few times per game, such a good card.

Karakas has been banned in EDH for a long time now, still worth some money though because it is played in legacy

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That deck looks pretty fun. I'm looking into building an Eldrazi ramp deck. Can't decide on mono green, green red, or Temur. If I do Temur, it would probably only be so that I could include a Kiora or two. It seems like people are finally finding ways to work Eldrazi into their decks in interesting ways. Really looking forward to the next set. I know BFZ really felt like it had a low power level, but I still love the set.

I thought about adding Kiora in too, but Sarkhan gets me mana and card draw, or a 4/4 dragon right away too.

Karakas has been banned in EDH for a long time now, still worth some money though because it is played in legacy

Ah my bad, I was thinking legacy but also thinking how good it would be in EDH. I guess I got some wires crossed in there somehow. :p

Last edited:

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Check this out. I had heard about this set in the past. Pretty crazy that the creator held onto these documents for so long.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Holy shit! I've read about Spectral Chaos. This guy just got his hands on a goldmine. I've seen what individual playtest cards go for on eBay and it's insane. This guy just got all of them, in uncut sheets. :eek:

P.S. - Barry's lands would be cool. By the way, the next Zendikar set is rumored to have new lands with a new mana symbol...

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Check out the symbols on this rumored leaked card:

kozilek.jpg

Most likely it will be a colorless only mana. As in, you need an actual colorless mana for each one of those new symbols in the casting cost.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
interesting enough...
635834473120670477.jpeg

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/oath-of-the-gatewatch/26203-wastes
I have no speculation to offer as I don't play or keep up.
whats devoid?

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I saw those rumored spoilers a few days ago. At first, I was thinking that Wizards had finally doomed Magic if true. But then, I started to think about how this could actually really change the meta, for the better. I think Modern could greatly benefit from this. It would be nice to see a larger variety of (viable) Modern decks.

Mokkori

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
No post since november! :(

I took a break for Oath but recently my friend convinced me to come back for SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD.
Around 100 spoilers have leaked so far and I gotta admit, it's looking pretty nice.

A werewolf PW! :)

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
No post since november! :(

I took a break for Oath but recently my friend convinced me to come back for SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD.
Around 100 spoilers have leaked so far and I gotta admit, it's looking pretty nice.

A werewolf PW! :)

whats pw ?