Lost a good friend Thurs night...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
A very close friend of mine was killed in an auto accident late Thurs night. He was 42, married, and had 2 kids (13 and 16 years old). I've worked along side him since June of 2000...I knew him on a very personal level...and the same with his wife and family. his office is 5' from mine, he and I were a great team.

He was also a firefighter and paramedic since 2000...in his years doing that, he saved many lives, as well as being there when they couldn't be saved.

My point?

Late thurs evening...he was drinking with a neighbor when the two decided to go hotrod around the neighborhood in the neighbor's tricked out 55 pickup. In the mix, the driver managed to hit a parked car at high speed, my friend was ejected and killed instantly. The driver was injured and is now facing a massive series of harsh criminal convictions. He was legally well over the limit.

My friend knew better...he saw first hand what happens when people drink and drive, he dealt with the dead and injured from car accidents for years.

I try to take something good from this, I try to spread words of encouragement or lessons to be learned.

In this case...for the love of God, do not drink and drive, do not get in a vehicle with someone under the influence. Don't make that mistake, don't be foolish. I have to go bury a good man on Fri that made the wrong choice...

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm sorry Smoke man:(

...Be Strong pal...

xROTx

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If I was in charge, there would be mandatory jail time for anyone convicted of DWI.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes to all those affected.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss. Way to try and make at least something a little positive out of a terrible situation.
There's nothing really to say that can make it better, but know that you're not alone.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That's really horrible man. My condolences.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hope his death was sudden and not with suffering.

By what I understand, it was. I was at his house speaking with his wife Fri morning and she gave me all the details of the accident. The vehicle had no seat belt...thus his not being buckled in. The accident was at 11:50'ish, police was dispatched at 11:53...they woke up his wife about 15 min later. The accident was literally about 500yds from his home. He was already dead when police arrived on scene.

I just cannot say it enough...never drink and drive...not once. I'll admit it, I'm guilty of doing it here and there...and I could have just as easily died as well. I'm suffering with having this anger towards him...he knew so well what happens, he dealt with a few fatal DUI accidents in the past 18 years...he knows.

Such a useless loss of life.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
My Condolences.

This is awful because not only did your bud lose his life, but the driver ruined his, and a bunch of other lives.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Uhg, that sucks.

When I was younger, I assumed very few people drove drunk. When my friends and I got to drinking age, I realized it's more of a "everyone does it, man" type of thing, which is pretty disappointing and scary.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your friend Smoke. I've been in that situation many times in my younger days with friends who think they are Mario Andretti after a few drinks and most of them always refuse to admit their drunk and let someone else drive their car.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
sorry to hear this, dude, but shit like this happens. little risks can result in bad life changing events for a person and everyone they know and love.

i wish you and his family all the best.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Sounds like you were very close. My condolences.

I drove drunk a few times in college (even dozed off briefly once, could've easily killed someone) and I feel like an asshole whenever I'm reminded of it. I stay off the roads during peak drunk hours these days. Not worth it.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
That sucks man, very sorry to hear this, especially for his childrens' sake.

For all our rules and elaborate safety measures, we're all just a sneeze away from disappearing from the earth forever.

Which is why I need to get off my lazy ass and make something of this holiday.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I am really sorry smokehouse. My deepest condolences to his family. It is incredibly sad that he is leaving behind two young ones too.

It is indeed both sad and scary how drunk driving is regarded as a casual norm these days. :(

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Sorry for your loss, seems nobody is safe from bad decisions. Even the lion tamer can get mauled by the lion...

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Man, I’m so sorry for your loss.

I know all too well what you’re going through. I lost my best friend this past March in a freak roller hockey accident of all things. He had his own business, a wife (who is also a good friend of mine), and was a very talented artist. He was like a brother to me, I knew him for 23 years. We spent a lot of time together, were roomates for 3 years, I was the best man at his wedding, etc. I still think about him every day.

Hang in there man, it’s goimg to hurt for a long time. Just do your best to keep it together, and help his wife as much as you can. I can guarantee she is going through hell right now. My condolences.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Horrible story. So sorry pal.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Deepest condolences. You and his family are in my prayers.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Man I hate to hear thing like this. Be strong man, help his family through this too.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
My condolences as well smoke. Be strong, for your family and his. They are going to need it, buddy.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Wow that sucks. My condolences to you and his family.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Terrible thing to happen , my condolences .
I lost my best friend for over 20 years a little over a year ago ago from just drinking ( not driving ) .