Looking for better picture from CDZ, would this work?

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
After just picking up a Omega using component cables I see how much the picture and colors lack with my CDZ using the standard RCA Cables on my CRT I use for all my retro gaming.

Im not looking to break the bank or go uber baller best available, but what Id like to do is at least have component output on it. Would this set up work ok and get me there?

This:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-N...026590?hash=item2edd85c31e:g:pu8AAOxykMpTKJML

(I searched the forums for decent scart cable for and found this sellers cables were recommended)

with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-audio...341108?hash=item25a0d89f74:g:aucAAOSwv0tU4Lqi

to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156873851?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And then just component cables to the CRT.

Does everything seem ok with all of that if I am just looking to go component? Wouldnt this also all work for my AES too (same plug)?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If you have S-Video on your CRT and the CDZ has it like the top loader does, I recommend to try it first, the pic on my Top Loader via S-video is really nice, component would be a bit more colorful and I'm sure definition would improve as well but you're already sinking well over 50 bucks there, you prolly have an S-Video cable hanging around somewhere right? Just try it real quick if you can before committing to the component route.

Whatever works with the CDZ on the multi pinout should work with AES and Top Loader as well.

Oh and when dealing with RGB cables you can't forget about the audio, I'm not familiar with the CDZ, if it has the jacks on the back for it, great, you're all set but if you don't then you're gonna have to spend some more money on an RGB coupling with stereo outputs, or maybe even a RGB splitter since you're already spending that much though to get component out of it.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I own that same RGB to YUV box.

Some advice:

1) don't buy the breakout adapter. Instead, just get a decent AV female cable, drill a hole for it in the back, passs it though, and solder it to the inside of the female scart connector on the pins for left/right audio and both grounds to the shielding/ground wire, then use a zip tie to create some slack inside the box for stress relief on the cable. That should save you $15.

2) Those things are not configured for proper color AT ALL. Get a game that has a white screen and inside the box there are some potentiometers. You can adjust them to change the color balance and make it look much better.

In fact, there is a thread on it here:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-resistor-screw-adjustment-amp-troubleshootin

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have one that I use with my Turbo Duo via RGB to component, I must have gotten lucky 'cause it looks pro but that's good to know if I use it with my RGB supergun or any other RGB signal.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That setup will work just great, I used to use it myself before going full retard into RGB. It's the next best thing to a real RGB CRT. A couple of notes: The Neo AV output is mono only, you'll want to take your audio out of the RCAs on the back of the CDZ. There are people who make custom RGB cables that can plug into the RCA jacks as well as the AV jack. Also, those component boxes sometimes have the colors a bit off, if you open it up there are pots for adjusting the RGB levels, it's not unusual to have to do that. Mine is a bit strong on the green but I've never bothered adjusting it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been meaning to get a Saturn RGB cable for like eons...so lazy...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Use S-video or get an RGB monitor. Externally converting the RGB signal to component will not look significantly better than S-video and is a waste of time/money/effort. With the right equipment, S-vid output from a Neo CD is arguably better than component/RGB from an Omega. Just my 2 cents.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Depends on the TV. On my Samsung CRT the svideo is pretty poor but the component is excellent, so it's well worth the difference. Likewise, on my PVM the difference between svideo and component is pretty noticeable (although you obviously wouldn't use a transcoder since it takes rgb also.)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Depends on the TV. On my Samsung CRT the svideo is pretty poor but the component is excellent, so it's well worth the difference. Likewise, on my PVM the difference between svideo and component is pretty noticeable (although you obviously wouldn't use a transcoder since it takes rgb also.)

All true but mitigated by the fact that the CD systems generally put out a cleaner signal than an AES or CMVS such as the Omega. Out of the 10+ systems I've owned, OG NGCD is #1 in terms of picture and audio quality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is true. The svideo out of the CD system beat the shit out of my Neobitz CMVS.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The stereo channel separation on the NGCD is the best bar none. Like I said before in this thread, S-video looks great on the NGCD. The neo sound chip is such that even when I used to hook it up to a 5.1 setup (Boston Acoustics) the system would separate the sound in a very cool way, all the ASTs sounded like a dream. Fatal Fury Special AST is the balls! Nam '75 too!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This is true. The svideo out of the CD system beat the shit out of my Neobitz CMVS.

The stereo channel separation on the NGCD is the best bar none. Like I said before in this thread, S-video looks great on the NGCD. The neo sound chip is such that even when I used to hook it up to a 5.1 setup (Boston Acoustics) the system would separate the sound in a very cool way, all the ASTs sounded like a dream. Fatal Fury Special AST is the balls! Nam '75 too!

Gentlemen, we are in agreement.

/thread

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Thanks for the input everyone

I honestly totally forgot about the S-video out, I will deff. try that first.

Unfortunately the video quality bug has bitten me and now I will be wondering how much better my snes or saturn would look via component. (which then Im sure will lead down to a PVM or something lol) So I may eventually still pick up everything in the links I put up on the first post since I can then pick up some other cables and use it on all my systems then. Im glad to hear a couple of you use the same set up with good results.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have one that I use with my Turbo Duo via RGB to component, I must have gotten lucky 'cause it looks pro but that's good to know if I use it with my RGB supergun or any other RGB signal.

That's because I opened the box up and tweaked the colors on it.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
S-video better than RGB? You guys are starting to sound like Drakon. But srs, the cd systems have the benefit of a pll to synchronize the colorburst to the pixel clock which none of the mvs based systems have access to in a practical manner. But in no day of the week is s-video better than RGB.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't think anyone said that man, it's a great alternative and you can do without RGB if push comes to shove, RGB will always be better, same with component, but S-video is great. I got a few consoles on S-video and although I have the ability to display them on RGB , I'm just hapy with S-video 'cause of the process of getting cables and all that jazz is just a hassle for me, maybe one day but I'm not loosing sleep over it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
S-video better than RGB? You guys are starting to sound like Drakon. But srs, the cd systems have the benefit of a pll to synchronize the colorburst to the pixel clock which none of the mvs based systems have access to in a practical manner. But in no day of the week is s-video better than RGB.

I'm running my CMVS and SG through s-video and I get as clear and vibrant a picture as I do from RGB (from what I've been able to notice). When I had my PCE, I ran it through composite on the same monitor and it was also like I was running it through RGB.

Alternatively, the Genesis, Saturn, DC, and SNES look like dogshit in anything other than RGB/VGA.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I agree with all of the comments here. I also have that same CVS287 Scart RGB-to-Component converter and am a huge fan of it. I messed with lots of cheap converters (GBS-8200, Scart-to-HDMI, etc) before finding it, and it is in another league entirely. No lag or filtering at all. Definitely the best sub-XRGB option, and judging by the videos of XRGB that I've seen, it looks exactly the same as the CVS-287 (minus the scalines and options).

If only it had audio input/output... That scart breakout will work (though it's not necessary since CDZ has stereo RCA out), or you can add audio in/out to the converter easily. I did this to mine, and I recapped it while I was in there. I also removed the 7805 and use a 5V/1A PSU with it.

The CVS287 is the same circuit as the CSY-2100, so you can find more info on it by searching for that model. Here is a good thread.

Also, retroconsoleaccessories' cables are good, but for a little more you can get a cable of truly excellent quality from gamekingno1 on eBay. If you contact him and put in a request, he will make Neo Geo cables using the same parts as his SNES type. I had him make 7.8ft Neo-Geo, Genesis, SNES/N64, and Saturn Scart c-sync cables to upgrade my retroconsole cables last year. Every wire inside them is fully grounded/shielded and they're built like a tank, measuring 12mm/0.5in thick.
s-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpg

Here are some videos on the converter:
And another video guide for color adjustment.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Oh man, thank you so much for posting that SNES scart cable guy's ebay.

My RGB setup has hissing and whining problems with the audio on white screens because my cable isn't fully shielded or grounded, and this looks like a nice solution.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I wanted to upgrade from retroconsole's cable because of noise issues as well. I was getting slight video noise on all of my retroconsole cables, and checkerboarding on N64. Probably because retroconsole only grounds the entire cable and not each wire individually inside like gamegking01. That comes with a price, but he makes them cheaper if you don't need them so long, and he doesn't charge extra for RCA audio breakouts.

The biggest improvement is using gameking's Neo Geo cable for my arcade boards. Some of them are night and day, and it cleaned their video to perfection. A lot of this is because in my current setup, AV runs alongside all of the power supplies and cables.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

My RGB setup has hissing and whining problems with the audio on white screens because my cable isn't fully shielded or grounded, and this looks like a nice solution.

From my experience and many trials in searching/making the perfect scart cables, I've come to the realization that it's not necessarily a fully shielded or grounded cable is what makes or breaks a quality scart cable. It's high resistance wires that are the ultimate cause of the hissing sound.

Granted, if the cable you're getting is shielded, more than likely, it'll have stock that is low in resistance. For reference, the crappy cables that cause hissing in my setup have a resistance of 2.5 ohms and up. I switched over to a cable that has 24awg wires, shielded jacket, and a drain wire with the end result being a crystal clear scart cable. The resistance of those wires are 1ohm or less. The base materials cost more and are more difficult to work with but the end result is worth the additional effort.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Thanks, More great info on cables here. This is exactly what I would like to avoid. Getting some new hissing or any other additional new flaws from what should be upgrading is the type of thing that will drive me insane, esp. if you dont know what the problem is. Any experience or info to avoid that is great, thanks for posting it.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Thanks, More great info on cables here. This is exactly what I would like to avoid. Getting some new hissing or any other additional new flaws from what should be upgrading is the type of thing that will drive me insane, esp. if you dont know what the problem is. Any experience or info to avoid that is great, thanks for posting it.
The flaws that we're mentioning are the type that would only bother us obsessive AV purists and they should in no way stop you from moving to scart. Any RGB solution is going to be a huge upgrade over the innumerable flaws of a composite CDZ, and the CVS287 will easily best the Omega's native component output, offering a free upgrade to your MVS setup if you buy a scart cable for it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Yeah, that's a nice price on what appears to be a quality cable.

Retro Console Accessories also offers an upgraded cable that performs extremely well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704904959

Could the superior video hardware you speak of that the CD system uses be transplanted or adapted for use in an AES or MVS system?

Last edited: