Looking for beat up PCE gamepads to build a custom joystick...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   1
Gimme your PC Engine beatup ugly as sin pads, as long as they work I'm down, name your price and we'll be rolling...

I'm down for a 2 button one, no worries, 3 button OK two, hell even the 6 button one but I'm not planning to play fighters on this console, I have better means to fill that void.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
You can still buy the multiplexer chip used in PCE/TG16 pads. In fact you can probably get a free sample from one of the chip distributors.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
You can still buy the multiplexer chip used in PCE/TG16 pads. In fact you can probably get a free sample from one of the chip distributors.

^ this. Nearly everything about the pce controller is off the shelf components.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Me thinks I should convert the nes advantage I have sitting around into a pce stick.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Its not PC Engine, but I have a pretty toasted Turbografx controller that works fairly way but the turbo switches are heavily worn and the connector was replaced by myself if you are interested.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   1
I built a NES stick out of a desktop enclosure 'cause I couldn't deal with the advatntage anymore. Cool stick for when I was a kid but I'm spolied now with better hardware.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Someone cleverer than I, should manufacture a PCB with solder pads, that the home tinkerer could add the chips to, and then manufacture their own stick with. That would be sweet.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Someone cleverer than I, should manufacture a PCB with solder pads, that the home tinkerer could add the chips to, and then manufacture their own stick with. That would be sweet.

I thought about doing it. Just need some time to eagle it up.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Double post.

Mind you, if I had to pick just one it would definitely be the two button version.

PS. - Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread EG.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   1
Not at all, I like where this is going, please keep going guys. I was just planning to hack a pad like back in the day for previous stuff I did but I'm always eager to learn so thanks to all who have contribute and please keep it going.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Don't, I have the Ascii Stick for the PCE and it's the NES Advantage. It's horrid.

I kinda liked that little stick, although it pales in comparison to pretty much any real microswitched stick.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
537   0   0

Those already exist.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   1
image.php

Master XX leveled up...

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Does someone feel like assembling a parts list for this? I might take a crack at it this month. For what ever reason, I do my most electronics projects on January. Must be because of all the slow down at work.

Relevant PCB(s) for the chips + resistors + right kind of switches for turbo function and the correct cord for the Turbo. Maybe a link to where to buy the stuff at a reasonable price would not be unwelcome. A decent joystick and buttons. Nothing too fancy, its a Turbo Grafx, not a cab with Street Fighter in it.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
MC Cthulhu supports TG16/PCE.

Only US HUcards. JP HUcards have control issues. Can Confirm, as I discovered this issue. CDs from both regions work fine.

I've brought this up to toodles and he really didn't care about fixing it.

here's the schematic for the 6 button:

PCEpad6.png

and here's the schematic for the 2 button:

Turbo_Pad_Schematic.png

The resistor array looks like it's 47KΩ, can I get confirmation on that?

Last edited: