LIVING IN JAPAN!!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
sissela wants to go to Japan to teach English.

I know some of you weebs have done this or have lived there for extended periods. Any tips? She's pursuing the teaching thing, but I'm wondering if there's some other ways to "get into" the country for an extended period. Not worried about my own employment but I would want to go with her. Would we need to get married for that to go more smoothly?

Not asking about the culture shock or any fagit shit like that, just wondering about some of your experiences.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've done it and I enjoyed it. However, I wouldn't do it right now. I was actually signed up to do it again about 1.5 years ago, then Covid hit. The problem is if a school shuts down and they switch to online again or completely change the curriculum then you are out of luck and probably won't get paid while on standby.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I can put her in touch with two knowledgeable Jewish sisters from Willow Grove, PA whom I'm friends with. Both taught English to elementary school kids & attended college in Japan during the past dozen years. Neither is fluent in the language. They would rate as low-key, unassuming weebs. One is even an old school Urusei Yatsura devotee, lol

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Now is the absolute worst time to do TEFL abroad, unless you're already in the country. And because you're not married then that would present problems for you trying to go with her.

Anyways, Japan is gay af for TEFL and not a great place to make money doing it. I would recommend Vietnam more. Low cost of living, ability to save money, and more cool adventure. If she can get a CELTA, great. If not, any normal 120 hour TEFL cert should be good enough combined with a notarized college degree.

edit: none of you have a criminal record, right? Never arrested, right? Criminal background checks are required as well.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’ve lived there, attended Uni, and worked there.

My non-native friends that still live there, fall into the following categories:

-Military
-Finance
-Uni professors
-Videogames industry
-whatever STK is doing for scratch these days ^_^

I agree w/ stage; this is a rotten time to do
TEFL/ESL there.

As far as your own employment, I would be worried about it, because visas are very strict/explicit. When I was a Temple student there for example, it was on a Cultural Studies visa. We were warned against *any* part time or full time work, from trying to land a real job…to off the books Conversational English tutoring in your flat.

If we were caught doing any gainful employment (save work-study through the University) it would violate the visa, and we would be deported w/ extreme prejudice.

Also-how are your vices, if any?

Weed and up is a huge no-no. Resin in a pipe can get you two years in a stripped suit, breaking rocks and banned Paul McCartney style after serving the sentence.

Good luck. It’s potentially a tough needle to thread without an employer backing you.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yeah, this is probably more like 4+ years from now. Thanks for the info. Even wataru-- you didn't have to do that pal, we don't get along, but I appreciate it.

Context of me not worrying about my own employment: what I meant was that I plan on exploring my options and whatnot but there would be a few opportunities likely to consider by then for me, i.e. my employer might be able to help me

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sex industry would probably work out great for me over there but that's not what I do anymore, lol

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Teaching abroad/expat life is good after college, maybe into your early 30's. In your 40's or 50's though, unless your educational background is in teaching, it's not a long-term career. You'll be stuck with no long-term prospects. I wouldn't go back to it unless I had to.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Do they still do that thing where you can only take money out of the ATM like once a week?