List of Rare Neo Geo hardware/Peripherals/game versions?

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Has anyone ever tracked this. Lately I been looking through my old flyers and found a few things i never really paid attention to and of course thing i seen either via picture or from Searches.

my list from memory (staying away from the collectable rabbit hole :) )
  • Neo Geo Deck (Hoteling Unit)
  • Irritating maze dedicated (seen this in person at auction)
  • Irritating maze cab kit (own one, believe that was really the only way to get the cart since it was not run on a normal MVS)
  • Table top MVS Cab (have catalog with this in it)
  • MVS link cable (think i have one, came with something i bought seems generic though and assume it came with every link game but got lost or mixed in with other things)
  • Mahjong controller (not sure how rare this is seen several and own 2)
  • Neo Pocket Dev kit (heard about one when it was sold at g-front in japan and asked about it when i went over there)
  • Dev MVS cart Boards (have a few with the early test cart i am not sure how many revisions of these there are)
  • Memory card with 'Neo Geo' on it (picture shown of one)
  • Neo Geo counter top kit (was advertised not sure if a official release came out on this)
  • King of fighter 98 CD Limited edition box (forgot where i bought this came in a wood box with shirt)
  • officially revised/renamed MVS games
  • Kizune SE MVS board
  • Neo print paper (joking but never seen a complete neo print cart/cab list either, since it not really gaming probably not a lot of interest aside from a few)
  • CDZ replacement PSU
just putting this out there, sure there is some thing i am missing, I'm excluding game rarity with the exception of rare country MVS redo's like fighting swords, saw there was a last blade as well and sure there are many more of these, just not sure on rarity or if it's <>1000 made

Maybe this has been posted but given no one seems to update the Neo Lists anymore and do not recall seeing a rare hardware list (other then people talking about rare hardware finds)

here is some pics

Neo Geo labeled memory card
20210723_010028[1].jpg.png

Mention of a counter top kit assume this would be a redo of counter tops at the time since it's a kit
20210726_194126.jpg
LE kof 98 CD not sure how rare this is and forgot where i bought it came in box w/ shirt and kof 98 CD if i recall correctly (still have it but took cd out and now do not remember which one was in there (i have several 98s Cds)
20210606_041835.jpg

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
"Has anyone ever tracked this?"

Not sure. From memory I would say that, as a whole (project)? then no, but item by item as they made the news section here, then yes, I believe there was some culling of data that was attempted at the time.

Also, before I forget: add the Kizuna Encounter MVS 4-player kit to the list. I know $hawn has (or had) a NOS one for over 10G's in the Neo $tore.

In regards to some of the others:

• "Hotel" Unit (seen a few of these posted, Know someone who owns one not sure if that is the official name)"

I don't recall there being much chatter till this one landed hard in the form of a US based arcade op selling a few (and I think it was like, 2 or 3) of these on the cheap. I believe it was the early 2000's & I specifically remember him calling said op right after the news broke to see if he had any more & he was not hiding the fact (in tone & inflection of voice) that he not just sold what he had but was made aware of what it was & how much it was probably worth. Not a hapy camper.

Long story short: The "Hotel" unit was probably that: a 1-slot MVS board that was housed in a black finished MDF combination cabinet & TV stand, trimmed with some metal bits & a branded glass door. The guests in a room would pay to play using the 2-nd gen "Bean" style joysticks that were supplied. Jonathan from Castleofcollectibles.com did a write up I believe of a collectors example showing the Japanese manual it came with & highlighted the fact that the bean joysticks for that unit were cast in grey plastic (as opposed to the black we all know) & had "Player 1" & "Player 2" stickers put on each respectively.

• "Memory card with 'Neo Geo' on it (just came across this, never seen one but assume it exists)"

This is a biggie for me. I have this pictured in one of SNK's japanese adverts from the early/first gen "candy" cab days (when they were primarily constructed of all white metal & the lineup featured that pseudo-cocktail 6 slot cab). I believe it was a deluxe advert highlighting both the MVS & home cart systems as how you could take the memory card back & forth to either. I would wager that the memory card pictured was a prototype that was made in a small batch for promotional purposes. I would love to have one.

• "King of fighter 98 CD Limited edition box (forgot where i bought this came in a wood box with shirt)"

I still have mine (NOS). Honestly, I would say that out of the 4 Neo Geo CD special editions (KOF 95, 96 & 98, along with AOF3) the 98 offering is the weakest in terms of what it is (art box & a T-shirt) & execution (box made from balsa wod w/ tacky iridescent finish on the art of the metal lid inlay) . I am partial to the KOF 95 Special Items Box as that was probably the most uncommon. Nice piece to have one or two of.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I actually still have somewhere that KOF98 Wooden box version.

As for the Neoprint cabinet, I know where to find one. Not sure if the cab is still functional tho.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Not sure. From memory I would say that, as a whole (project)? then no, but item by item as they made the news section here, then yes, I believe there was some culling of data that was attempted at the time.

Also, before I forget: add the Kizuna Encounter MVS 4-player kit to the list. I know $hawn has (or had) a NOS one for over 10G's in the Neo $tore.

In regards to some of the others:

• "Hotel" Unit (seen a few of these posted, Know someone who owns one not sure if that is the official name)"

I don't recall there being much chatter till this one landed hard in the form of a US based arcade op selling a few (and I think it was like, 2 or 3) of these on the cheap. I believe it was the early 2000's & I specifically remember him calling said op right after the news broke to see if he had any more & he was not hiding the fact (in tone & inflection of voice) that he not just sold what he had but was made aware of what it was & how much it was probably worth. Not a hapy camper.

Long story short: The "Hotel" unit was probably that: a 1-slot MVS board that was housed in a black finished MDF combination cabinet & TV stand, trimmed with some metal bits & a branded glass door. The guests in a room would pay to play using the 2-nd gen "Bean" style joysticks that were supplied. Jonathan from Castleofcollectibles.com did a write up I believe of a collectors example showing the Japanese manual it came with & highlighted the fact that the bean joysticks for that unit were cast in grey plastic (as opposed to the black we all know) & had "Player 1" & "Player 2" stickers put on each respectively.

• "Memory card with 'Neo Geo' on it (just came across this, never seen one but assume it exists)"

This is a biggie for me. I have this pictured in one of SNK's japanese adverts from the early/first gen "candy" cab days (when they were primarily constructed of all white metal & the lineup featured that pseudo-cocktail 6 slot cab). I believe it was a deluxe advert highlighting both the MVS & home cart systems as how you could take the memory card back & forth to either. I would wager that the memory card pictured was a prototype that was made in a small batch for promotional purposes. I would love to have one.

• "King of fighter 98 CD Limited edition box (forgot where i bought this came in a wood box with shirt)"

I still have mine (NOS). Honestly, I would say that out of the4 Neo Geo CD special editions the 98 offering is the weakest in terms of what it is & execution. I am partial to the KOF 95 Special Items Box as that was probably the most uncommon. Nice piece to have one or two of.
Hotel unit: yeah no i recall when SNK USA closed down and this were picked up and sold by the shop in CA, just not sure of the name

Memory card: i have the same Cat it was from one of the trade shows, also on the back of the japanese flyers for the launch games

King of fighters 98LE: maybe it was NCSX that had these? but the 95 specials item box i have had a few of (think i still have 2) . for 98 i only have one of these and have not seen it for sale really but have not really hunted for it. KOF 96 collection I believe was a separate item and aof 3 with the art box and coin i see all the time.

Your right on the KE board, i bid on the one at yahoo japan many years ago, but to be honest if i got it i would want to use it. however that is indeed a rare hardware piece.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I had also at some point the SamSho2/KOF ngcd cd cleaner pack. Broke the device, ended up selling just the box. Actually I only know the existence of the same item from a guy in Spain.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
One of the plain “NEO GEO” memory cards sold last month on Mercari Japan for $50. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen. I don’t believe they were offered for retail sale.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
One of the plain “NEO GEO” memory cards sold last month on Mercari Japan for $50. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen. I don’t believe they were offered for retail sale.
would have bought it but bet the battery already destroyed the card after 30+ years unless it was taken out.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
would have bought it but bet the battery already destroyed the card after 30+ years unless it was taken out.
Just found the screenshots I took of the listing on my phone. Interestingly, it looks like they used decals/stickers for the design.

iiZgIBR.jpg

FRtIdzs.jpg

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

I still have mine (NOS). Honestly, I would say that out of the 4 Neo Geo CD special editions (KOF 95, 96 & 98, along with AOF3) the 98 offering is the weakest in terms of what it is (art box & a T-shirt) & execution (box made from balsa wod w/ tacky iridescent finish on the art of the metal lid inlay) . I am partial to the KOF 95 Special Items Box as that was probably the most uncommon. Nice piece to have one or two of.

The KoF '98 woody set was a Hong Kong / Asian release and not done by SNK Japan, which probably explains it's dubious quality. I've seen quite a few where the tin lid had fallen away from the box.

Not sure whether this was produced by an import shop in Hong Kong or done by SNK's Hong Kong office.

Still, I'm sure it's fairly neat to own one if you're into box sets.

EDIT - forgot to mention - the official Neo-Geo CDZ replacement PSU is like rocking horse shit to find, so you may want to add that to your list :)

Last edited:

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
The KoF '98 woody set was a Hong Kong / Asian release and not done by SNK Japan, which probably explains it's dubious quality. I've seen quite a few where the tin lid had fallen away from the box.

Yeah not really going buy quality, your right though i remember it being a HK release but pretty sure SNK HK released it. (shirt at least as the SNK logo on the tag).
EDIT - forgot to mention - the official Neo-Geo CDZ replacement PSU is like rocking horse shit to find, so you may want to add that to your list :)
I did not even now they made an official replacement of any of the NGCD or even AES units in a box yeah that would be rare is there a pic or are we talking just loose replacement parts. Only separate PS in a box i recall was the neo pocket.

massimiliano

&#12493;&#12458;&#12472;&#12458;,
20 Year Member
  • Hoteling Unit (seen a few of these posted, Know someone who owns one not sure if that is the official name)

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The Neo Geo AES modem.

A couple of prototypes were known to exist and the device is mentioned in MVS hardware instruction sheets.

FWIW, there are efforts to reproduce the 4player Kizuna MVS board at Arcade Projects. Very hopeful that it bears fruit.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Yeah not really going buy quality, your right though i remember it being a HK release but pretty sure SNK HK released it. (shirt at least as the SNK logo on the tag).

I did not even now they made an official replacement of any of the NGCD or even AES units in a box yeah that would be rare is there a pic or are we talking just loose replacement parts. Only separate PS in a box i recall was the neo pocket.

51355498543_c0e3b58ccc_z.jpg

The accessory psu for the top loader / front loader is fairly easy to find.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Here’s more info and details the counter top kit:
View attachment 51635
geez learn something new everyday, always wondered where the ugly white neo geo log vinyl's came from

i wonder when it comes to the conversion kits (counter top, SSII, irritating maze, Romstar, Others? what the rarity were.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes, and the Romstar kits came with unique marquees. I still have a couple of them and can post pics here later tonight.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Yes, and the Romstar kits came with unique marquees. I still have a couple of them and can post pics here later tonight.
yeah i order one of these marquess, was going to setup a rassberry Pi with a thin screen and since this just had the one window use it to display the different marquess pictures. However marquess appears lost in the mail :( https://www.ebay.com/itm/144066760312

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
The Neo Geo World rug (3/4 copies).
The Neo Geo Club magazines (18 issues + 2 bonus).
The Neo Geo Dengon Ban (19 issues).
U11 (4 copies).
Kof 97 NG CD(HK edition with white shirt).

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
The Neo Geo World rug (3/4 copies).
The Neo Geo Club magazines (18 issues + 2 bonus).
The Neo Geo Dengon Ban (19 issues).
U11 (4 copies).
Kof 97 NG CD(HK edition with white shirt).
So out of those would consider the kof 97 edition with shirt (was this in a special box or just a shirt given out with game, pic) the others kinda fall outside of special hardware edition. Was not really considering games like u11, kizuna or ntm since these kinda go towards game rarity so was leaving that for the master list listings. Unless it game in some gold box or something :) books, collectable and magazine are not directly linked to the hardware.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
What is the tabletop MVS cab? Does anyone have a picture? I assume we're not talking about the MVS-X bartop that is currently being sold.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
saw someone threw up a 4p kizuna board, bonus they did some cool pics. Not worth the $3k to me but maybe someone else would get it.

i-img960x720-1628753683eqigpl608511.jpg

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
What is the tabletop MVS cab? Does anyone have a picture? I assume we're not talking about the MVS-X bartop that is currently being sold.
Curious about this too. I wasn't aware there was a tabletop/cocktail MVS. Japanese exclusive I'm assuming?

massimiliano

&#12493;&#12458;&#12472;&#12458;,
20 Year Member
I think this is the most accurate thread about the cocktail MVS, cool version indeed!