List of AES and MVS Version Differences

Does anyone have a link to somewhere detailing the major differences between AES and MVS versions of games. I'd like to see which version of each game I'd prefer to play. Thanks in advance.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Both AES and MVS carts contain the 2 versions of the games. What you need to ask yourself is when are you going to install a Unibios to switch between arcade and AES modes.

Last edited:
Both AES and MVS carts contain the 2 versions of the games. What you need to ask yourself is when are you going to install a Unibios to switch between arcade and AES modes.

I will have Unibios actually (I have an Omega on the way and a Unibios chip on the way from Raz for my AES) and this is actually the reason why I'm asking. I want to know the differences between the versions so I know which version I should switch to.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I will have Unibios actually and this is actually the reason why I'm asking. I want to know the differences between the versions so I know which version I should switch to.

No difference. It's the same game.

No difference. It's the same game.

Gotcha. I know with games like Baseball Stars for instance, the AES version would be better due to needing to credit feed to get through a whole game. Just was wondering about other possibly annoying structuring MVS games can have over AES.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I would stick to AES unless you need unlimited credits and there's no cheat for it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Gotcha. I know with games like Baseball Stars for instance, the AES version would be better due to needing to credit feed to get through a whole game. Just was wondering about other possibly annoying structuring MVS games can have over AES.

Well, some games like Viewpoint are better in MVS mode (2 players). The AES mode is 1 player only for some reason.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There should really be a complete list of all the differences between MVS/AES/CD. Obviously some CD games are missing frames of animation, some have exclusive modes or features, some have different music.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
There's Magician Lord. AES has intro and spawn from beginning. Some have death spawn though.

All MVS have no intro, and death respawn if I remember correct. I prefer the AES return to checkpoint version.

There's Magician Lord. AES has intro and spawn from beginning. Some have death spawn though.

All MVS have no intro, and death respawn if I remember correct. I prefer the AES return to checkpoint version.

Yeah I would say that's a pretty substantial diffence. Seems odd that there isn't a list of these kinds of differences.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah I would say that's a pretty substantial diffence. Seems odd that there isn't a list of these kinds of differences.

Thats because theres not many. Magician lord is the only one I can think of that cant be accessed by a unibios. Some games have small differences in versions like shock troopers and kof 98. But those can be found by yesting various mvs carts.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Thats because theres not many. Magician lord is the only one I can think of that cant be accessed by a unibios. Some games have small differences in versions like shock troopers and kof 98. But those can be found by yesting various mvs carts.
But you still have to know which version of which game, AES or MVS, has whatever features you prefer. With the UNIBIOS you can switch between one or the other but it's going to be trial and error if you don't know going in.

Also doesn't really address the Neo CD. I know there's a list here http://neogeocdworld.info/

But I don't know if it's comprehensive and I don't speak French so I have to run it through google translate

Someone should really create a spreadsheet or something that lists whatever differences exist between AES/MVS/CD versions of all the games

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member

Well....that's fascinating. My AES cart, purchased back in '93, respawns me right where I was killed, even with all boss damage still intact. I'm pretty grateful for that, actually...otherwise it would be too brutal for me, but this way I can just enjoy the game.

Anyway, I thought it was an AES-MVS difference....didn't know there were different AES versions.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I prefer the harder version because i find the death spawn version too easy. There is no mvs checkpoint respawn versions. Exclusive to aes.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Well....that's fascinating. My AES cart, purchased back in '93, respawns me right where I was killed, even with all boss damage still intact. I'm pretty grateful for that, actually...otherwise it would be too brutal for me, but this way I can just enjoy the game.

Anyway, I thought it was an AES-MVS difference....didn't know there were different AES versions.

It's exactly the same thing as multiple sets for one kind of arcade game. On Neo Geo, the rom chip that holds the main CPU data can be altered to update the game slightly, while leaving the rest of the game unchanged.

So to clarify, magician lord had two rom sets, or revisions. They work in both mvs and aes systems. It'd just mvs never had the checkpoint revision.

Glowsquid

n00b
Top Hunter has one major difference between MVS and AES mode. Each of the four starting planets have three levels each; In MVS mode, you plays through two stages of each world; the first planet selected will have the first stage, then the third, and every subsequent planet will have you play through the second stage, then the third. On the AES and CD versions, you play through all three levels of each planet.

IMO, MVS is better. The game becomes way too long and repetitive otherwise.