LF: Someone to fix a 3DS Xl

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Or I guess maybe I should say is it worth it,nor should I just get a new one?

Basically, something happened to the charging port so it no longer chargers. I guess this is a fairly common problem w/ 3DS XLs. Problem is definitely not the battery.

I don’t have the skill, knowledge, patience, motivation etc etc to fix this myself...but if someone knows how lmk. Don’t know how big of an issue it is so how costly it would be to fix it, so it may just be worth getting a new one.

I don’t know. I just want to play Resident Evil Mercenaries again, but not sure I care enough to buy a new system :p

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just an opinion, have you tried the 2ds they are usually dirt cheap, I much prefer them.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about 3DS repairs I'm afraid, but, one would think that replacing the AC power jack would be relatively simple/inexpensive.

I have a 2DS and RE Mercenaries & Revelations, and they both play fine on it. It's more akin to a small tablet, size-wise, too large to fit comfortably in a pocket (unless you've got huge pockets), but, I don't find it uncomfortable to play on.

I've never bought one from them, but, AliExpress sells legit refurbished 2DS & 3DS units for $60-120 each. So, that's a possible way to get a replacement that's relatively inexpensive. I imagine they come with free Chinese spyware too. 😉

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I don't know anything about 3DS repairs I'm afraid, but, one would think that replacing the AC power jack would be relatively simple/inexpensive.

I have a 2DS and RE Mercenaries & Revelations, and they both play fine on it. It's more akin to a small tablet, size-wise, too large to fit comfortably in a pocket (unless you've got huge pockets), but, I don't find it uncomfortable to play on.

I've never bought one from them, but, AliExpress sells legit refurbished 2DS & 3DS units for $60-120 each. So, that's a possible way to get a replacement that's relatively inexpensive. I imagine they come with free Chinese spyware too. 😉

Thanks M. The cheapest I found on eBay was $190 but not nice condition.

Japanese systems are less but Nintendo was ridiculous and region locked the 3ds for some reason...so I need a US system for my games.

I dont care enough to drop $200+ on one, but if I can find s decent system for $100 or so that’s fair.

but yeah I figured fixing the jack would be easy for some folks here and shoot them like $50 or so for a thank you.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Have you thought about asking nintendo

@M

20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of the refurbished 3DS Ali listings if you want to try your luck (free shipping too). The seller has a 100% feedback rating and the reviews are good.

US $95.10 8%OFF | Original Used Console For 3DS Play Directly Unlocked Free games

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks M. The cheapest I found on eBay was $190 but not nice condition.

Japanese systems are less but Nintendo was ridiculous and region locked the 3ds for some reason...so I need a US system for my games.

I dont care enough to drop $200+ on one, but if I can find s decent system for $100 or so that’s fair.

but yeah I figured fixing the jack would be easy for some folks here and shoot them like $50 or so for a thank you.
If it's just the socket and there are no other issues with power delivery, it is a simple fix for anyone with soldering experience.

Looky here I found a replacement jack from aliexpress https://campaign.aliexpress.com/wow...700&OLP=1085100208_f_group2&o_s_id=1085100208

I'd do it for ya but you're gonna have to double the service price + return shipping.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Try to find someone to repair it for you. Don't buy an expensive beat down to shit 3DS for 200 bucks if it's only the socket. Alternatively buy a Japanese model and install custom firmware.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Is there a good independent video game store in your area? If there is call them and ask if they know anyone local who fixes/mods systems, there are a lot more people doing stuff like that these days.

That’s a great idea, thanks. Tho it’s been so long since I actually walked into a store and bought a game...can’t remember the last time. Will see if there is any place like that near me.

@M

20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the power cord just too loose when you plug it into the port on the 3DS? It's possible that it might just be a simple matter of slightly bending some metal/plastic to make it tight enough to charge again.

Could even be the AC adapter itself is fooked up and not your 3DS power port; I'd check if a different AC adapter works if you have one.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The problem with a repair is that the charging jack is a proprietary one, so to replace it, it'd need to be harvested from a parts machine.