Let's play: Last Blade, boot or no boot?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Things look somewhat legit to my pretty untrained eye... what do you think?

The thing that caught me was that the top board was dated 94 and the bottom 97, is that typical?

(click for the full size guys)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sometimes I wonder if people have done any research before they just start posting pics of their carts. This cart is legit. There is absolutely nothing in there that would lead anyone to believe it is a bootleg.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Looks real to me.

Yeah kinda thought so... but still wasn't too sure. First mvs cart that I really looked at and just expected the years on the 2 boards to match (which they don't). But no eproms/wires etc so kinda thought it might be legit.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Sometimes I wonder if people have done any research before they just start posting pics of their carts. This cart is legit. There is absolutely nothing in there that would lead anyone to believe it is a bootleg.

No need to wonder... I did. There were other reasons why I was curious as to the originality. Appreciate the input (sarcastic tones aside). :)

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
What I have learned this year

I have recently taken an interest in MVS and am starting to pick up on the main red flags.

The main reasons this cart can be identified as legit are the toshiba branded roms and the lack of windowed EPROMS.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I have recently taken an interest in MVS and am starting to pick up on the main red flags.

The main reasons this cart can be identified as legit are the toshiba branded roms and the lack of windowed EPROMS.

Yeah and the numbers seem to match up with the master list.... thanks for the input.

So...
Label == no (right?)
Cart == yes

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah kinda thought so... but still wasn't too sure. First mvs cart that I really looked at and just expected the years on the 2 boards to match (which they don't). But no eproms/wires etc so kinda thought it might be legit.

The years on the PCB's often do not match. This is because SNK has several different "mappers" that they used for various games, and they were developed at various times. If you didn't need a complex setup for the sound data but needed a complex configuration for graphics then you'd wind up with a simpler, earlier model PCB coupled with a later model PCB. This saved SNK money because they simply recycled the old boards they had left when making new games.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
The years on the PCB's often do not match. This is because SNK has several different "mappers" that they used for various games, and they were developed at various times. If you didn't need a complex setup for the sound data but needed a complex configuration for graphics then you'd wind up with a simpler, earlier model PCB coupled with a later model PCB. This saved SNK money because they simply recycled the old boards they had left when making new games.

I see. Makes sense. Thanks :)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
No need to wonder... I did. There were other reasons why I was curious as to the originality. Appreciate the input (sarcastic tones aside). :)

I take it that the reason was the replaced label and what looks to be a replacement case. Probably Japanese boards repackaged into an english label or the case was crap. I have a RBFF2 that has replacement cases that when I was opening it, I was totally scared would be all boot. Everything matched though.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I take it that the reason was the replaced label and what looks to be a replacement case. Probably Japanese boards repackaged into an english label or the case was crap. I have a RBFF2 that has replacement cases that when I was opening it, I was totally scared would be all boot. Everything matched though.

:up: you got it. Popped it in a bit ago (after putting back together and letting the alcohol dry) and realized it was japanese.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
:up: you got it. Popped it in a bit ago (after putting back together and letting the alcohol dry) and realized it was japanese.
There is no way to tell if the game is the Japanese version by the boards alone. The English and Japanese carts are identical except for the label.