Legendary 8-bit/16-bit European games

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rare is a British company, so... Donkey Kong Country, etc., all made in Europe. Rare is the new form of Ultimate Play The Game, a company that was most active on Speccy. :)

So there! :p

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Agony by psygnosis on Amiga is good as well. The gameplay is pretty basic, but the graphics are a showpiece for the era. Wish it had a genesis port.

metouto

n00b
Hey, so I was thinking, what 2D games are great from Europe (including UK)?

I figured you guys would have some opinions and I have an emulator on my laptop.

Shoot, fellas.
Certainly! When it comes to great 2D games from Europe, including the UK, there are a few notable titles worth checking out. Here are a few recommendations:

1. "Hollow Knight" (Team Cherry, Australia-based but developed in Adelaide): This atmospheric and beautifully designed action-adventure game has gained critical acclaim for its challenging gameplay, stunning visuals, and captivating storyline.
  2. "Ori and the Blind Forest" (Moon Studios, Germany): This enchanting platformer offers a visually stunning world, emotional storytelling, and a charming protagonist on a quest for hope and restoration.
  3. "Thomas Was Alone" (Mike Bithell, UK): This minimalist puzzle-platformer features a unique narrative-driven experience where players control different geometric shapes, each with its own personality, to navigate through a series of challenging levels.
  4. "Limbo" (Playdead, Denmark): This dark and atmospheric puzzle-platformer has received widespread acclaim for its haunting visuals, immersive gameplay, and thought-provoking storytelling.
  5. "Celeste" (Matt Makes Games, Canada-based but developed in Vancouver): Although not strictly from Europe, this indie gem deserves a mention for its exceptional platforming mechanics, heartfelt story about overcoming personal challenges, and memorable soundtrack.
These are just a few examples, and there are many more incredible 2D games out there to explore. Happy gaming!

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ok, maybe AI can replace us after all…

“Australia-based but developed in Adelaide”…that’s a winner.

halk3n

n00b
Turrican2_Cover.jpg

The Commodore 64 version of course being the only valid version.