Legality of the 400 in 1 games?

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
You know, the ones with all the Capcom and SNK games on it, among other games?

I see a few arcades around here running those boards... >_<

They're not legal, are they? :(

Curt

apostate
They're definately not legal.

Just the same as an arcade op using a counterfeit MVS cart. :oh_no:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
EVIL NICK said:
You know, the ones with all the Capcom and SNK games on it, among other games?

I see a few arcades around here running those boards... >_<

They're not legal, are they? :(

What company is releasing these cabs? I know that companies like Ultracade Technologies have buttloads of games/ROMS they have paid the rights to use and sell their emulated cabs. Can't say I've seen what you're talking about though.

GK

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
What company is releasing these cabs? I know that companies like Ultracade Technologies have buttloads of games/ROMS they have paid the rights to use and sell their emulated cabs. Can't say I've seen what you're talking about though.

GK

Not a smart company, that's for sure. The copyright owners of the bootlegged games should sue the shit out of that company.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Grizzly: some Chinese companies manufacture and sell JAMMA boards that are basically a converted PC with all that ROMZ on them, and they are certainly not licensed.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Do the companys who own the copyrights care anymore?

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
ki_atsushi said:
Not a smart company, that's for sure. The copyright owners of the bootlegged games should sue the shit out of that company.

That company sits somewhere in China (and is most likely funded by state money), good luck suing them ...

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Grizzly: some Chinese companies manufacture and sell JAMMA boards that are basically a converted PC with all that ROMZ on them, and they are certainly not licensed.

Ah, didn't know that. My Arcade @ home experience has been mostly the NEO:GEO 2-Slot in my den area which shall become a mini arcade within the next 3 years comprised of other "devoted" classic uprights, thus I'm not up to current events with what China is doing these days. So thanks for the heads up, I thought he was maybe referring to Ultracade Technologies. They offer up quite a bit from their website here >>> http://www.ultracade.com/arcadelist

though now that I think about it, none of this should surprise me with China being the premiere "Bootleg/Guerrilla" product place on planet Earth possibly seconded by Malaysia.

GK

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Grizzly King said:
Ultracade Technologies

They are a shit company, I hope Foley gets cancer and dies asap! I'd rather buy from some bonafide asian pirates than from those ass maggots ... just my opinion of course. :make_fac:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Greywolf said:
They are a shit company, I hope Foley gets cancer and dies asap! I'd rather buy from some bonafide asian pirates than from those ass maggots ... just my opinion of course. :make_fac:

I'm certainly not buying from them at those prices, I'm hunting down what I want of the old stuff the painstaking way, hitting up pizzarias, bowling alleys, distrib warehouses & more. *What has Ultracade done that is so bad though?

GK

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Grizzly King said:
What has Ultracade done that is so bad though?

Read this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114993&highlight=ultracade

Besides making a shitty product and utilizing some rather shady business practices, they also tried to trademark MAME (unsuccessfully I might add) causing some major havoc in the scene, there's tons of threads about it on BYOAC:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,32730.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,36738.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,38190.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,37734.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,37779.0.html

David R. Foley, Founder and CEO of Ultracade (as well as a certified hypocrite and wanker :angry: )

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Greywolf said:
David R. Foley, Founder and CEO of Ultracade (as well as a certified hypocrite and wanker :angry: )
:lol: Yeah, that guy's a real bitch.

aria

Former Moderator
I've seen one or two different companies that have officially licensed a ton of old games (not just Ultracade) and produced machine with tons of games from different companies on them.

However, if the games are less than 5 years old it's probably illegal.

sven666

War Room Troll
there are legal ones aswell.. i know capcom made one with about 100 of their old classics (just about everything up to CPS2).

ofcourse it has all kinds of capcom copyrights stuff on it tho..

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Arcades are dying here... But I could still find a little place with some arcade machines. There was one machine like that where you'd select your game through some kind of flashy menu...
I saw many pirate arcade games in Malaysia too. Like a weird one that was using edited SF2 sprites (making Ryu and Ken wear armors and stuff... ugh).

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Hmkay said:
. Like a weird one that was using edited SF2 sprites (making Ryu and Ken wear armors and stuff... ugh).

I would love to see some screens of this if anyone has them. I imagine they look pretty silly and it would be funny to see.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Neco_Coneco said:
I would love to see some screens of this if anyone has them. I imagine they look pretty silly and it would be funny to see.
I don't know the title of the game, but it wasn't even a fighting one apparently. It was a weird game with random answers you could pick (or something), I just couldn't understand shit.
However, it seemed quite popular, as every arcade places I've visited in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) had at least one or two machines with that game... Sooo it may be possible to find some screens of it on the net.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Does anyone have any links to any site where it says they're illegal?

I know they are, but I'm trying to prove it to a friend... >_<

J.Vu

n00b
They're illegal, the ones you're talking about in York Lanes or Orbit right? Those for sure are illegal.....

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
go tell the local police about it :lol: and see what they'll do about it

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
J.Vu said:
They're illegal, the ones you're talking about in York Lanes or Orbit right? Those for sure are illegal.....

I know they are. :p

Read my post above... ;) Guess who's the friend I needed the link for?

Small world isn't it? :D