Layer Section Coming to Modern Consoles

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Less gooooo. Layer section is amazing. One of the shmups on the saturn I reach for the most, alongside Darius. Love the NA boxart too.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
There's a stage-1 demo on the Japanese storefront, so everyone can take a look and judge for themselves.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
If they fuck up the emulation with this one, the backlash against CC will be much severe than that of Cotton 2, knowing how beloved and respected the original RayForce is among shooter fans.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
About time.

Definitely a very overlooked game (maybe because it was so easy to get?🤔) and a very good shooter in every respect.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Definitely a very overlooked game (maybe because it was so easy to get?🤔) and a very good shooter in every respect.
Well, my guess is, that it was so easy to get, because it wasn't popular. It's the two plane mechanic, which also made RayCrisis an overlooked game. RayStorm's popularity is also owed more to its groundbreaking 2.5D visuals, than its gameplay. My answer is just a theory, but...

I'm currently playing Xevious 3D, another two-plane shooter, and though it's a great title with a lot of dense sci-fi atmosphere, it's also very hard to get into. It's not only the two plane gameplay, which makes it so hard, but also the shot trajectories: from three shots of an enemy, only one is aimed at your ship, while the other two will cover the area next to it. The result is, that you can't make bullets follow you properly and get shot by seemingly aimless projectiles. This, coupled with the slow speed of your ship and the fast growing rank, makes it unnecessary difficult to dodge, ultimately killing a lot of fun to play this game.

I could imagine that those flaws mentioned above not only made Layer Section unpopular, but also all the other Xevious-like shooters. Think of Terra Diver, such a great title, but not really played that much and still widely available, too. It's probably because those games require a different approach, like a constant rank control and a different dodging strategy. A lot of thinking's involved, real-time, and that just kills the casual aspect this genre's famous for. A bit like a Treasure game, yet one w/o any innovative gimmick to make it up to you. Too bad.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Well, my guess is, that it was so easy to get, because it wasn't popular. It's the two plane mechanic, which also made RayCrisis an overlooked game. RayStorm's popularity is also owed more to its groundbreaking 2.5D visuals, than its gameplay. My answer is just a theory, but..

I'm currently playing Xevious 3D, another two-plane shooter, and though it's a great title with a lot of dense sci-fi atmosphere, it's also very hard to get into. It's not only the two plane gameplay, which makes it so hard, but also the shot trajectories: from three shots of an enemy, only one is aimed at your ship, while the other two will cover the area next to it. The result is, that you can't make bullets follow you properly and get shot by seemingly aimless projectiles. This, coupled with the slow speed of your ship and the fast growing rank, makes it unnecessary difficult to dodge, ultimately killing a lot of fun to play this game.

I could imagine that those flaws mentioned above not only made Layer Section unpopular, but also all the other Xevious-like shooters. Think of Terra Diver, such a great title, but not really played that much and still widely available, too. It's probably because those games require a different approach, like a constant rank control and a different dodging strategy. A lot of thinking's involved, real-time, and that just kills the casual aspect this genre's famous for. A bit like a Treasure game, yet one w/o any innovative gimmick to make it up to you. Too bad.
Ten years ago on this day: https://neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/galactic-attack.219828/#post-3320397

Still true.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Seems like the digital is out now and “on sale” for $25 I think when I checked earlier.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Seems like a solid port based on one playthrough. Still not Shottriggers level but it seems like CC is improving the options and responsiveness a bit from where they started at.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Macross + (arcade) have a lock on that isn’t fixed on a ‘lower’ plane…you can lock on to errythang.

Wonder what Ollie’s thoughts are on my thoughts. ^_^
I didn't play either of those, but you made me very curious. After watching some videos, my first thought was, that it looks like this kind of lock-on is an interesting weapon, but not an autonomous game mechanic. Then I thought back to another game, which, opposed to both titles you mentioned, I know pretty well: Galaxy Force II. Here you can also lock-on errythang and because of the specific charge rhythm you have to apply, it really becomes a distinct mechanic - a big difference to your standard gun. Could be the same with both your Macross games, I'll have to try them someday. ^_^'

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I didn't play either of those, but you made me very curious. After watching some videos, my first thought was, that it looks like this kind of lock-on is an interesting weapon, but not an autonomous game mechanic. Then I thought back to another game, which, opposed to both titles you mentioned, I know pretty well: Galaxy Force II. Here you can also lock-on errythang and because of the specific charge rhythm you have to apply, it really becomes a distinct mechanic - a big difference to your standard gun. Could be the same with both your Macross games, I'll have to try them someday. ^_^'
If you are ever on the East Coast of the USA, give me a PM. ;^)

I’d be happy to put these pcbs in the cabs for you.

Another game (and a Macross one at that, natch!) that has this lock-on mechanic-Macross for Saturn.

Since copious ammounts of missiles, and their trails are such a calling card of the series…it’s no wonder they made it into the games.

Cotton Saturn Tribute plays fine now. They fixed the lag issues. Y'all quit crying that the Switch "casuals" can easily play your fav $300+ Saturn games these days...Cotton 2 was always a slow paced shooter with enormous sprites ..it's all fucking gatekeeping bullshit I been hearing...😂...