Latest SW EP VII news...

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
With the new trailer I'm kinda glad it's scattered and segmented and doesn't show off that much of anything. It's not like the new trailer that came out for Ratchet and Clank and it pretty much shows the whole film in the two minute trailer. I'm going in with low expectations because of the prequels and how disappointed I was with all three of them. I'm glad their using more, real practical effects and less blue screen bullshit. I still can't believe Simon Pegg's in the movie in a creature suit. I'm still going to see it in the theater but I'm not going to go out of my way to try to see it opening night...like how Fandango took a shit last night... so hopefully the word of mouth is good and it'll be a fun time.

Or like many have already said, if it sucks JJ Abrams will forever be known as Jar Jar Abrams.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't think I could ever abandon Star Wars or like it any less as a franchise if the prequels didn't kill my affection for it.

The thing that disturbs me is how cynical this feels to me. Disney are the masters of marketing and they're filling these trailers with the familiar sights and sounds of the classic movies. TIE Fighters, X-Wings, the Millenium Falcon, Luke's theme, Han's theme, dudes that look like stormtroopers, guys in black with lightsabers. And yet, it all feels appropriated to me for the sake of getting us to already declare its greatness.

All the while, I'm asking how any of this ties to the six previous movies. This really isn't even 'Episode VII', but appears to be the start of a new story that just so happens to take place after Jedi. And I'm not sure what to make of that. Probably that I care a whole lot more than I should. But Star Wars has stayed with me longer than any other geek affection I have. It's reasonable to say it's shaped my inner nerd, which is a huge part of me, to more significant degree than anything else I like, even things I've grown to be more interested in such as Berserk, Gundam, or A Song of Ice and Fire.

So we'll see. Gonna see if I can score a couple of tickets for me and my wife this morning for an opening night thing.

Star Wars was my "gateway" to nerd when I was a kid as well. It was pre Nintendo NES and definitely pre Star Trek StNG. It is pretty sacred to me as well.

The 1990s "special edition" trash and Episode 1 really took the wind out of my fanboy sails, that's for sure. Before that, Lucas was a god and SW was his canvas, after that...my god... I went and saw all three special editions when they came out and was shocked at how shitty they were. This was pre internet, pre forums, pre anything outside of my little universe. I couldn't believe he'd shit up his own movies that horribly. When I finally saw Ep I...the nail was in the coffin. Lucas was a hack.

So...my "fanboy" days are long gone...and I'm talking 15+ years gone. I have a shred of hope that these new films will be good...but if they aren't, there's not much "down" to fall in the "let down" department.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I feel ya, Smoke. I think we're of the same mind on this issue.

And to show you all how hopeless I am, I bought four tickets this morning to a Thursday, December 17th 9:00 PM show. Not 3D because 3D sucks.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The more I learn about Star Wars, the less I respect Lucas.

The success of the original movies was more in spite of what Lucas's vision, and made possible by his close friends and colleagues who re-wrote most of the script, made the iconic crawl what we saw, and even forced the casting of Ford as Han Solo despite Lucas refusing to re-cast anyone from American Graffiti.

Lucas bought into his own legend wholesale and it's a real shame.
He forgot the film is a collaborative effort. Damn shame.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'll probably take my oldest son to this. Will be his first theatre experience. I do agree that episodes I - III pretty much suck. Picked up the original trilogy on blu ray recently. My son seemed to enjoy them. I'm going into it just hoping to be entertained. I haven't been to the movies in years, but figured this would be a good one to take my kid too. I also don't consider myself a huge Star Wars nerd, so my expectations probably aren't as lofty as some here.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I feel ya, Smoke. I think we're of the same mind on this issue.

And to show you all how hopeless I am, I bought four tickets this morning to a Thursday, December 17th 9:00 PM show. Not 3D because 3D sucks.

I won't pre buy tickets...its against my religion for some reason. I strongly doubt I won't be able to see a showing here or there come the week of Christmas. I won't go see it in 3D either, shit makes me motion sick all to hell.

With that said...I'll definitely go see it, and VIII...and IX. I saw II and III in the theater for fucks sake...I strongly doubt the new ones can be any worse.

Unlike some here, I really have zero love for Ep I-III...I mean none. The very few ok parts are so overshadowed by the complete shit that the entire package is ruined for me. The shitty dialog, the insane plot holes, the cardboard acting, the gross over use of CG, Lucas and his shitty attempted humor...I can go on and on. It's all so horrifically bad that I just can't bring myself to watch it anymore. I've seen them all, that's enough.

I guess I just cannot see how Ep VII can be any worse then I-III...how could it be? About the only way Ep VII could be worse than EP I is for it to be a 2 hour long film off JJ Abrams literally jacking off while looking at a picture of himself. That may be worse...

The more I learn about Star Wars, the less I respect Lucas.

The success of the original movies was more in spite of what Lucas's vision, and made possible by his close friends and colleagues who re-wrote most of the script, made the iconic crawl what we saw, and even forced the casting of Ford as Han Solo despite Lucas refusing to re-cast anyone from American Graffiti.

Lucas bought into his own legend wholesale and it's a real shame.
He forgot the film is a collaborative effort. Damn shame.

Lucas was an overall visionary. He saw trends in film and in the film industry before they happened. On the other hand...he was a shitty writer and a fucking horrible judge of acting talent.

I look at it like Steve Jobs and Pixar...the guy has the foresight to see what would become of CG films...but that didn't mean the motherfucker went out and made them.

With Ep I-III, Lucas proved to the world he was a shit director and writer. Only a shit director could take talented actors like Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, and Ian McDiarmid and render them complete lumps on film. If that wasn't bad enough, he further proved how inept he was by choosing the hacks Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen to play the single most important role in the entire fucking series. As bad as Mark Hamill was here and there in IV-VI...he was nothing compared to those two shits.

Lucas should have stayed behind the scenes and oversaw the project...sadly, he was too arrogant to do that.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm just glad that George has ZERO input on this whole new franchise. Like RedLetterMedia and DNS said, film is a collaborative effort and that shows. I never watched the bonus features of Episode 2 and 3 with George "directing" the actors but he was like, "You HAVE to say it like this, you HAVE to read it like this." We wouldn't have gotten the "I know." moment from Empire if George was in the pilot's seat. Part of me likes this expanded universe being done by folks that have grown up with Star Wars. It'll be like big budget fan films. Forever folks have said they could do better work with George's toys then he could, so I say put up or shut up and show me what you've got.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm just glad that George has ZERO input on this whole new franchise. Like RedLetterMedia and DNS said, film is a collaborative effort and that shows. I never watched the bonus features of Episode 2 and 3 with George "directing" the actors but he was like, "You HAVE to say it like this, you HAVE to read it like this." We wouldn't have gotten the "I know." moment from Empire if George was in the pilot's seat. Part of me likes this expanded universe being done by folks that have grown up with Star Wars. It'll be like big budget fan films. Forever folks have said they could do better work with George's toys then he could, so I say put up or shut up and show me what you've got.

I didn't watch the "behind the scenes" of Ep II-III but my first printing Ep I did came with a huge documentary on the film, funny enough it is actually better than Ep I. It goes way back to the early 90's when they were planning the film and waiting for computers to progress to the point where they could process his "dream". It also includes the casting process. There's a scene where the actor for Anakin is down to two kids, one kid and that Llyod shit. The other kid is far better, the group says he is, Lucas then makes this "there's just something natural about Llyod" and the yes-men go to work slobbing his knob. Llyod it is (was)...

A vast majority of the documentary shows his obsession with CG...so little is said about acting, and script...no, he obsesses with what software they can use to make water bead off of Jar-Jar's shitty CG skin. It pretty well sums up why Lucas is a film making hack. Unless I'm wrong, that documentary doesn't come with the DVD anymore.

Hmmm...looked up that V1 pressing and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-Phantom-Widescreen/dp/B00003CX5P

Looks like the stupid things commands a high price tag now...

*EDIT x2*

Found it...it's actually worth the watch:

*EDIT x3*
The "casting" for Anakin begins at around the 4:40 mark. Figuring I hadn't seen it in years, I re-watched it. Even Lucas admits the kid is a mess and they he'll have to "edit together" his scenes...

Well...he got the hack he wanted, that's for sure...

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I was also disappointed by the new trailer.

But I still bought tickets for opening night. So I wasn't that disappointed. I am going to try to go into the movie with an open mind.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I love the original Trilogy & also enjoyed the Prequels. The trailer looks great.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
If that wasn't bad enough, he further proved how inept he was by choosing the hacks Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen to play the single most important role in the entire fucking series. As bad as Mark Hamill was here and there in IV-VI...he was nothing compared to those two shits.

I have to say it, but Jake Lloyd did brilliantly in Episode I. Anakin in Ep II and III was a mopey, boring, wooden, unconvincing twat. I'm pissed off that he got to turn into Vader. How can someone so fucking annoying be allowed to turn into the badass iron fist of the Empire that is Vader!? In Ep I however, Lloyd came across as a sympathetic little boy. He doesn't know anything of the world(s) around him, he's naieve but at the same time, he's quite confident in himself.

Anakin was one of the things that stood out in Ep I. And I will undoubtedly get crucified by this, but I prefer Ep I out of the prequels. :snack:

The thing about the trailer is this: it didn't feel like a Star Wars film. I know it's only a trailer, but it didn't feel right. However, as soon as the instantly recognisable music kicks in, I get goosebumps up the wazoo.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I have to say it, but Jake Lloyd did brilliantly in Episode I. Anakin in Ep II and III was a mopey, boring, wooden, unconvincing twat. I'm pissed off that he got to turn into Vader. How can someone so fucking annoying be allowed to turn into the badass iron fist of the Empire that is Vader!? In Ep I however, Lloyd came across as a sympathetic little boy. He doesn't know anything of the world(s) around him, he's naieve but at the same time, he's quite confident in himself.

Anakin was one of the things that stood out in Ep I. And I will undoubtedly get crucified by this, but I prefer Ep I out of the prequels. :snack:

The thing about the trailer is this: it didn't feel like a Star Wars film. I know it's only a trailer, but it didn't feel right. However, as soon as the instantly recognisable music kicks in, I get goosebumps up the wazoo.

My beef with Ep 1 Anakin isn't the actor, it's the direction and writing.
Anakin doesn't feel like a kid who has it rough. He doesn't act like he's a slave with a fucking bomb inside him. It's fine that he's goofy and enjoys pod racing, as it seems like it's the only spot of fun in a dreary servant/slave's existence on a space-mafia controlled world.

Whoever played his mother did a better job of seeming melancholy and downcast about her lot in life, with her only joy being her son.

Mac91

10 Year Member
But isn't that the point in Anakin? Yes, his mum is downbeat, but she is an adult. She understands how things work. Anakin is supposed to be unaware of the inner workings of slavery, galactic politics etc. He has no preconceived notions of good and bad really; his mind is a blank slate. It would be easy to characterise him as an angry child, but then his eventual rise to the dark side wouldn't be as exciting.

That being said, Yoda does comment that he feels a lot of anger in him... even though we don't feel it, or see it, or hear about it. Even when he leaves his mum, does he cry? I don't remember exactly.

I get what you mean though. I think a big part of the prequels is that not much is developed. Anakins relationship, for example, with Palpatine happens to quick in Ep III, it's almost as if 20 odd years of Jedi training never really happened.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
anakin_darth_vader_shadow.jpg

what is hype may never die

edit: whoops got my fandom mixed up

may the hype be with you

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
When can we expect to see Star Wars Episode -2, -1 and 0 confirmed?

Mac91

10 Year Member
Smoke, that making of doc was painful to watch. Like watching the guys build titanic being all cheery and confident. Some of the things Lucas says is just painful. Why go with the kid who "you never know what you're going to get" and that you have to cut and paste all the takes together just to get it right? "Jar Jar is the key to all this". That should be on his fucking headstone.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
New custom rank for Markell:

"Likes Episode 1"

:lolz: Sillly pom.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smoke, that making of doc was painful to watch. Like watching the guys build titanic being all cheery and confident. Some of the things Lucas says is just painful. Why go with the kid who "you never know what you're going to get" and that you have to cut and paste all the takes together just to get it right? "Jar Jar is the key to all this". That should be on his fucking headstone.

In all honesty, I found that doc more entertaining than the film. It really shows how far down the rabbit hole Lucas was (is).

Concerning Lloyd...there are some scenes where he is just abysmal. The pod race scene/fighter plane space battle being some of the worst. His acting is horribly fake and forced...his lines are so horribly delivered that I think nearly any kid off the street could have done the same.

The level in which Lucas was abscesses with Jar Jar is just crazy...such an empty, stupid character. For him to be so fixated on it is just insanity...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The level in which Lucas was abscesses with Jar Jar is just crazy...such an empty, stupid character. For him to be so fixated on it is just insanity...

Regarding the fact, that the documentary is better than the movie, I agree, too. Same could be said about Apocalypse Now. Eleanor did a fine job with Hearts of Darkness.

Mac91

10 Year Member
Concerning Lloyd...there are some scenes where he is just abysmal. The pod race scene/fighter plane space battle being some of the worst. His acting is horribly fake and forced...his lines are so horribly delivered that I think nearly any kid off the street could have done the same.

I think it's the writing and the actual characterization of Anakin i like.

I'm sorry theMot but Ep I is the better of the prequels. Note i said "better than the prequels". That's like being the best looking woman in the burns ward... I demand new Episode I custom rank!!!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Phantom Menace is really bad but I don't consider it totally unwatchable.

Attack of the Clones, on the other hand, is pure shit. Not a single thing in that movie can redeem it.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Loved the Star Wars Ep 7 reactions from the crew at Red Letter Media: