KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Tested the PS3 stick. It doesn't work, and there is no option to enable it in the settings at this point.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the updates, all. I'm not as worried about missing the early copies now.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Tested the PS3 stick. It doesn't work, and there is no option to enable it in the settings at this point.

Its a day one patch, so it'll be released on the street date of 8/23.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Its a day one patch, so it'll be released on the street date of 8/23.

Oh yeah I forgot this game is SUPER early. My friend got his copy today and i was gonna run upstairs to test it but i guess thats a negative on that for now.

Fygee

20 Year Member

Your wish has been granted.

I think that means all teams are covered now.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't know what to think at this point. I want to try it - isn't there a demo? And I have PS3 sticks. Do they work? Or do I have to spring $100 for new sticks?

I have to admit I like the women's team - King and Mai are one of my favorites.

I'm holding out for impressions, reviews, and a possible redbox/Family Video rental.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Yes there is a demo. 7 characters no online.

No, you can't use the PS3 sticks, but it will be patched day one.

So far reviews have been kind. Plays good. Looks like last generation still though.

The online supposedly is leaps and bounds better then KOF XIII.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
FYI - if anyone lives in Los Angeles, Gameplay (on Venice) has the game early. Not sure if anyone has brought this up already.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yes there is a demo. 7 characters no online.

No, you can't use the PS3 sticks, but it will be patched day one.

So far reviews have been kind. Plays good. Looks like last generation still though.

The online supposedly is leaps and bounds better then KOF XIII.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
FYI - if anyone lives in Los Angeles, Gameplay (on Venice) has the game early. Not sure if anyone has brought this up already.

Yeah thats where my friend got his a couple of days ago. Gameplay in Culver City on Venice

They are known for getting games early....albeit usually a day or 2 not 2 weeks lol

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah thats where my friend got his a couple of days ago. Gameplay in Culver City on Venice

They are known for getting games early....albeit usually a day or 2 not 2 weeks lol

Yeah - they are usually good for getting stuff the thursday/friday before release day. Great for when you want to get quality weekend time with your early copy.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
All you with early copies are making me jealous as an amazon scrub. The prime discount makes the wait worth it though. Is online even fully functional currently?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I got an early copy and have spent the last few days playing online. Right now this game has some of the worst netcode I've experienced out of all the fighters on PS4 -I'd put this behind DOA5LR- but they have said that a patch is coming on 8/23, and hopefully this will help things. It has actually been all over the place for me. Sometimes fights feel like you're underwater. Other times everything stutters. And I've been fortunate enough to have some good-great quality matches with players in other states. The game has also locked up on me several times (so far only when online).

I've only had a chance to play in lobbies. Have yet to find anyone in ranked and very rarely have had a chance to play with this just one or two others in a lobby. I mention this because I've generally been running into the same people and one guy I had a very laggy connection with in a 10 man lobby had a very smooth connection when it was just the two of us playing in another lobby. Going to try making a 4-man lobby and turn off the streaming option today to see if that helps.

Does this game play better online than KOF XII did? Absolutely...not even close. It's much better than that mess was. Is it better than KOF XIII (console)? Yes, but that really isn't saying much, unfortunately. I really like this game and want to get into it, but I need it to play well online, otherwise it's getting shelved and it's back to SFV. SNK has constantly let me down with the quality of their netcode in the majority of their home releases, and as much as I want them to improve this game and hope the patch does just that...I have to be skeptical and expect the worst. It seems like they always promise things will improve and it never happens. I hope they prove me wrong this time.

Online aside, everything else is great. Really enjoying the new characters and the character variety that always makes KOF so much fun to play. I hope they fix lobbies, though- right now when the host leaves, the entire lobby gets disbanded and you get booted out of the match you're in with other players.

Last edited:

Dizzy11523

Camel Slug
15 Year Member
Been watching a lot on Twitch and haven't seen anything bad with the online (in fact it looks flawless). This surprises me ^. Hoping that's not the case for everyone.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I've seen a few matches that look underwater online. Though I think the players were from Central/South America which doesn't have the greatest netcode plus the amount of people available is limited so take everything with a grain of salt till the game officially arrives.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I think there's a good amount of people on the west coast all playing together. If you're close enough, the netcode is fine. Hell, when KOF XII came out, I played a guy who lived just a few miles from me and the connection was flawless.

I've seen a few matches that look underwater online. Though I think the players were from Central/South America which doesn't have the greatest netcode plus the amount of people available is limited so take everything with a grain of salt till the game officially arrives.

Definitely. My impressions are just that-- impressions. I'm not judging the game until the patch drops next week and more people are online. But that said, there are definitely issues with lag, matchmaking, and game freezes.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Only one more day! Just got my Amazon shipping notification for the premium edition.

Some quick news bites:

Day One patch will also include some balance changes, in addition to adding PS3 controller support.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/08/19/kin...s-fuzzy-guard-to-be-removed-in-a-later-patch/

Reviews are coming out and they're all quite positive.

Gamespot, Game Reactor, Japanator - 8/10
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-review/1900-6416498/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a
http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/447713/King+of+Fighters+XIV/
http://www.japanator.com/review-the....phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Metacritic - 8.1/10 aggregate score (currently).
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-king-of-fighters-xiv?ref=hp

They've really managed to pull it off. Amazing how this game went from looking like a total turd flop to something the fans got excited about, and the critics ended up loving. Well done SNK.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Only one more day! Just got my Amazon shipping notification for the premium edition.

Slightly worried now. Haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet. Just see it not shipped but guaranteed by 8 P.M. delivery tomorrow. Figures the game that comes out on an off day would have issues. Amazon hasn't let me down yet though.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
lol, amazon got the same order wrong twice, shipping wise. Said it was delivered but it wasnt. Had to wait 3 days till we could dispute it. Cancelled the order redid it, same thing. LOL it was a nightmare. Ontop of that it was for 2 necessities cat food and sex lube. Was funny cause when chatting with a amazon rep they posted the WHOLE name of the products.