KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
its looking tighter and tighter gameplay wise. still wish the draw distance would be brought in a little bit, but overall its gonna be a great game either way. new backgrounds look great as well! i need a dino king versus geese battle video!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
they have to change the music... please tell me that shit is just for the trailers and not in-game.

Agreed, its fucking horrible. On top of that, the colors look very dull and washed out in this trailer.

On the good side, glad to see Geese back in the mix. Ryo looks a bit chunky and stiff like he was in Capcom vs SNK 1/2.

Also, brief Joe sighting, which is interesting since he hasn't been formally announced yet (even though we all knew he's going to be on the roster).

Fygee

20 Year Member
View attachment 34646

Compared to this...

Save that washed out shit for Gears of War. SNK games have always been known for their bright, bold, and tasteful use of color.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Trailers so far, for me, are demonstrating SNKP are trying to get back in touch with their personality, that's always been prevalent in all their previous titles.

I like it.

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
They still have a lot of work ahead of them to make it more beautiful/detailed overall.
So evidently they left the route of the all hand drawn KOF13. I liked the art style of KOF13. The only bad was the too speedy background animations of the spectators. That looked silly and distracting. I still believe that 2D graphics could be fantastic but SFIV influence is too strong to ignore.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Love this latest trailer. All the geese counters made me lul.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
View attachment 34646

Compared to this...

Save that washed out shit for Gears of War. SNK games have always been known for their bright, bold, and tasteful use of color.
Except this is a 3D game. Desaturating the background creates depth. LIKE IN REAL LIFE. Check it out sometime. The further away things get from you, the less saturated the colors look. If you try to make the 3D backgrounds look as hyper-saturated as the Fatal Fury 3 example you posted above, it's not going to look cool. It's going to look uncanny and flat.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Not necessarily if its done right. Look at older 3D games like Unreal, or newer ones like Far Cry Blood Dragon. They're both very colorful and look great (albeit with different art style choices).

Street Fighter 4 and 5 have plenty of color as well, albeit less extreme examples.

They went way too far with desaturating on this one, especially with Geese's stage. Even the characters in the foreground have overly muted colors. It doesn't have to be hypersaturated, but it certainly doesn't need to look like Gears of War.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
RIDICULOUS!
Geese looks fucking cool. They nailed the face and all. God, I hope Krauser joins in.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Not necessarily if its done right. Look at older 3D games like Unreal, or newer ones like Far Cry Blood Dragon. They're both very colorful and look great (albeit with different art style choices).

Street Fighter 4 and 5 have plenty of color as well, albeit less extreme examples.
SF5 desaturates the hell out of the backgrounds, the further back things get. Again, this is something that happens in real life, and exaggerating it for a game can increase the illusion of depth in a stage. Not doing it makes everything look more fake.

I love the hell out of FF3 and most of its backgrounds, but the Geese stage you posted above looks like a flat poster, not an environment in which characters exist. And it's exactly because all the colors are the same value. You wanting SNK to take a 2D approach to 3D backgrounds in a 3D game is not a realistic request nor would it be an improvement.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
April fools on april fools' day... oh I am so shocked.

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not sure about the movie but Robo Army 2, well that would have been really cool

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
That last trailer makes me want a new Fatal Fury game and a Garou sequel,

Get on it, SNK.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
At first I thought the game looked shit but the more I watch these trailers I am really thinking it looks quite cool and thinking about buying a PS4.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Like most here the game has grown on me to the extent that I'm really looking forward to it now, I have a PS4 but am yet to get any fighters, I was holding out for MK XL and will pick that one up soon, SV5 is going to be avoided until a more complete version comes out. What I hope SNK do is release the game full of content like Kof XIII and don't go down the DLC / Micro transaction route like Capcom, to me its the death of gaming and what makes me enjoy older games far more. No BS no DLC no day-one patches just the whole game 100% tested and ready to go right off the cart/disc.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Like most here the game has grown on me to the extent that I'm really looking forward to it now, I have a PS4 but am yet to get any fighters, I was holding out for MK XL and will pick that one up soon, SV5 is going to be avoided until a more complete version comes out. What I hope SNK do is release the game full of content like Kof XIII and don't go down the DLC / Micro transaction route like Capcom, to me its the death of gaming and what makes me enjoy older games far more. No BS no DLC no day-one patches just the whole game 100% tested and ready to go right off the cart/disc.

They could do use this 'complete' factor for marketing purposes

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Even though it has improved a lot, I hope they add some bit on shading on the models. Don't know how to explain this but they look "flat" in terms of shadows.