KoF XIII Port this Winter

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
I'm surprised to see SNK itself is publishing the game. I believe it's their first game to be released on Steam.

I hope it sells many digital copies to fund KoF XIV hehe

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
A closed beta but you have to apply for it.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Since we know SNK Playmore is publishing the title themselves, should we read this as a good sign that perhaps their game division is going to start ramping up? There were rumors earlier this year I believe that said they were looking at increasing their game output, but I never heard anything since what February? Anyways, I hope they can get their crap back in order because it would be nice to see a few more titles released each year on you know, a console instead of mobile devices.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Since we know SNK Playmore is publishing the title themselves, should we read this as a good sign that perhaps their game division is going to start ramping up? There were rumors earlier this year I believe that said they were looking at increasing their game output, but I never heard anything since what February? Anyways, I hope they can get their crap back in order because it would be nice to see a few more titles released each year on you know, a console instead of mobile devices.

Seems like this confirms they are working on a 3D KOF and SS:

http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,2602.0/topicseen.html

- According to next.rikunabi.com the next KOF is coming to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the game.

- Many overseas staffs from America, France, South Korea, and China also participated in the project.

- 3D Technology will be used instead of 2D Sprites to create the Next-Generation of KOF.

- The developers are working very hard about how they will represent the 2D image in 3D !!

- The game seems is planned for PS3 and XBOX 360.

earlier job listings for the 3D games:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/employment/

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13411.shtml#63819

Well, they say they are looking for 5 planners (= game designers), 10 CG artists and 10 programmers, to create amazing new 3D episodes of KOF and SamSpi. Basically sounds like they don't have a team for these games besides a producer. The other job offers are for smartphone and Pachislo projects. The game dev people will be based in Osaka. Other new employees will be based in Osaka and Tokyo. Game programmers applying are asked to have experience with OpenGL, Xbox360 and PS3 development. Does not really seem like the projects have really started yet...

I just hope they take note from GG Xrd and copy that style, instead of going with that ugly shit in their ad:

snk-kof-job.png

(http://shoryuken.com/)

Last edited:

Elder

NEST Puppet
Interesting K, thanks for the update. I've heard a few things over the past few months, but nothing concrete so this is really interesting. What I wonder is if they're going to make it full 3D, as in 3D movement (move around the other character), or 3D a la Street Fighter IV. Either way, as long as they put together a quality product I'm sold.

Thanks again for the info.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I like what I see, but I think it's a big mistake to develop the games for the Xbox 360 and PS3. They'd be much better off releasing it for the PS4 and Xbox One since it's planned to come out in 2014 when both systems are out.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I think the reason they would develop this for PS3/360 instead of the new consoles is only to maximize potential sales based on the large userbase of both platforms. The downside to this is that it's highly likely the game will be overshadowed by the newer games on the new hardware. It's always a gamble, and I'd say it wouldn't be too bad if the Xbox One and PS4 were backwards compatible...but they aren't. In the end I don't know if PS3/360 development is the right way to go, but either way I'll certainly be checking it out.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
yeah, i agree...

it really grinds my gears about all those idiots beggin for juicebox... so he has bots now? lol...

hope i get one

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I'm kind of annoyed about not getting a beta code, now that you mention it. Ah well, release date is right around the corner so I suppose I can wait a couple more weeks. Here's to hoping it lives up to the hype.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I think the reason they would develop this for PS3/360 instead of the new consoles is only to maximize potential sales based on the large userbase of both platforms. The downside to this is that it's highly likely the game will be overshadowed by the newer games on the new hardware. It's always a gamble, and I'd say it wouldn't be too bad if the Xbox One and PS4 were backwards compatible...but they aren't. In the end I don't know if PS3/360 development is the right way to go, but either way I'll certainly be checking it out.

This is an interesting point, and one I've thought about in regards to tournaments and such. Every major is run on numerous 360s or PS3s. Current-gen sticks will reportedly not work on next-gen hardware. In the first few years of Xbone/PS4 I think fighting game players will still gravitate towards the earlier hardware as a community.

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I'm kind of annoyed about not getting a beta code, now that you mention it. Ah well, release date is right around the corner so I suppose I can wait a couple more weeks. Here's to hoping it lives up to the hype.

I think the beta was pretty much opened up to anyone who pre-purchases it on Steam now.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I've had more good experiences playing online than I've had bad so far (as hard as that may be to believe).

If you get an opponent with 3 - 4 "cell phone bars" of ping, then it should feel pretty close to local play, or at least as good as say SSFIV. Anything lower is a completely different, totally shit experience, with a half second of input latency, or more.

There seem to be some pretty decent people online too (although the player pool seems to be pretty small). I think I got my asshole smashed by a developer just a moment ago, which was interesting.

I'd say it's worth buying the PC version due to the online being decent (let's hope I don't eat my words), and it being a slightly newer, re-balanced version of the game. Also it's only $25 if you buy it before tomorrow's release, but I'm sure it'll go down to like $10 - $15 during the next Steam sale.

If you want to play, add me on Steam. I'm "grimm_shado".

Also I don't know how good controller support is for this. I assume 360 controllers are auto-detected no problem, but the game won't even acknowledge my PS3 Neo Geo Stick 2, which I find funny, since the PS3 version of the game wouldn't either. Xpadder or Joy2Key will get you around that though.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Currently I am switching back and forth between an iSaulabi pc stick and a logitech rumble2 pad. Both seem to be recognized relatively flawlessly, just haven't decided yet which I prefer playing with. The stick is super nice feeling, but the pad seems to register move inputs slightly faster.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
SNKP has more plans for the Steam. They say they had an incredbly positive experience with this port.

How did development of the PC port start and how did SNK get in touch with Valve for Steam?

The motivation to work with Valve mainly came from SNK Playmore wishing to provide quality content to our fans and the world at large. Steam was of course the obvious platform of choice when it comes to the PC market, and it’s been an absolute pleasure working with them! Our North American & European Business Dept. has had our eye on the PC market for quite some time, and starting from early this year the push to work on the Steam platform finally became a reality. That said, we needed to get the right development team and infrastructure in place.

Can you tell us about the team that handled the port? How did this group get started?

Jason Varlet, Lead Programmer: I spent months implementing most of the features – all the while working with our internal Producer. Then as the end drew near, we had an extra programmer, Jim Bulmer, join me on the programming team to help wrap it up, and a few others joined to help out in other departments too (translation / localization, marketing, etc.).

One of the features in The King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition is improved netcode. How did you improve the performance of the netcode for the PC release and will the console versions get an update?

JV: The approach of the netcode in KOF XIII SE is a completely different input delay method than what was originally used. However, there isn’t that much to it, it’s still input delay based. I would describe it as a very typical input delay method, with a few extra bells and whistles to handle PC performance issues. We just had to get the tuning of it right. That’s where our amazing, supportive community comes in! The support and feedback we have received from Day #1 of the Beta test has been instrumental to the progress of the netcode. Thanks community!

Console versions will most likely not get an update, unfortunately. So those wishing to take advantage of the improved netcode will have to pick it up on Steam.

What else is new for Steam Edition?

SNKP: Story Mode has only been revised from the arcade version. However, KOF XIII Steam Edition and console versions are the same. That said, vast improvements have been made to the game’s netcode, a number of graphics performance options, and the addition of a few “bells & whistles” such as Trading Cards support on Steam.

Was the game rebalanced at all?

SNKP: No it hasn’t been rebalanced. But the balancing from King of Fighters XIII Climax has been used.

What is SNK Playmore’s future plans with Steam? There is a large library of NeoGeo titles that could be brought over and it would be awesome to see some new entries like maybe a new Metal Slug or Twinkle Star Sprites.

SNKP: Our experience working with Valve/Steam on this project was an incredibly positive one, and we hope we can work with them more in the future. As you say, SNK Playmore has an amazing library of games! Additional titles have already been spotted on the Steam DB – so, there’s the chance we may see those brought to Steam. We’ll also be heavily considering PC / Steam for future "new" projects too as they come, so we hope the fans support and fully enjoy this new release of KOF XIII from Friday, September 13th!

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/1...eir-eye-on-the-pc-market-for-quite-some-time/

just started up playing kofx111 on the ps3 again ... addicted straight off. after a few months break though, how many new players are disconnecting when getting beaten...whats the point? and how are some of the original top players cheating? beat one 3 times in a row, their battle record and defeats stayed the same but my points still went up? how are they doing that? must be a sad life knowing your a cheat but it takes allsorts i suppose. still a top game.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
SNKP should get some inspiration from Capcom's latest DLC for Super Street Fighter IV (named 'Ultra' Street Fighter IV) and release some aditional content for KoF XIII to shake things up.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Ummm.... Capcom took a 2nd title they made with the same company (Street Fighter x Tekken) and ported the characters and stages. With a little tweaking. Playmore has none of those things at their disposal.

The best they could do without really sinking too much money would be add a move or two on a character or a clone character.sprite (a la Joe and Hwa Jai). Considering they are making KOF XIV and plan on releasing it later this year in the arcades I don't think that is something they are worried about.