KoF XIII Port this Winter

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
really feeling the offline play! I'm actually not the biggest KOF fan in the world but this game feels great. not about to jump online until I have a few bnbs with 3 characters though, I hate not knowing what I'm doing in fighters.

I would probably accept a invite if I was sent one though.

also this game installed in like 5 minutes, that's a refreshing change.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think I have my timing back down with Leona. My old BNB combos are flowing like the spice to house harkonen.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
tried a few ranked matches..... yet to be convinced this is good netcode but I make no judgments until I can play someone I know and compare to other games we play. It's insanely hard to find a match but I think it's just due to a whole lot of people searching and not many people hosting, I never found any games searching, but when I host I can't even get outa the character select screen before "here comes a new challenger" pops up.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Some of this stuff is ridiculously specific. Like if I do a series of combos that lead into Kyo's :qcf::D:, and then I want to juggle with his DM, and then cancel into his Neo Max, I have to let him land in the exact right spot before I hit the DM, or else the flame from the Neo max cancel will miss them, and there goes all my meter.

Also, these trials are really, really hard. Not just execution-wise, but when you have to memorize 3 lines that include several cancels each, I lose interest, quick.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
- I'm pretty sure the home port was entirely done by SNKP, not Atlus.
- There is little to no loading when the game is installed
- Trails get fun once you complete 2 or 3 characters and get used to them

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
GameSpot finally reviewed it, it got 8.5 / 10.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
- I'm pretty sure the home port was entirely done by SNKP, not Atlus.
Yeah, I don't understand where someone got the idea Atlus was more than the publisher. I never read that anywhere but here.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The story indicates there will be more to it in the future btw, so that at least says SNKP may still do more.

shoryuken is preparing a nice online guide for the game: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_king_of_fighters_xiii

A Dreamcancel.com thread on how to unlock some stuff: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1503.msg34022#msg34022

A blog update mentioning XBLA themes and some bonus material for the Japanese release. Looks awesome:

%E8%B2%A9%E4%BF%83%E7%89%A91.jpg
%E8%B2%A9%E4%BF%83%E7%89%A92.jpg

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/11/kof_xiii_8.html

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I don't understand where someone got the idea Atlus was more than the publisher. I never read that anywhere but here.
Atlus is only the publisher in the US. I remember Ignition getting a lot of credit for XII on these boards too, but my Japanese copy of the game is exactly the same and doesn't mention Ignition anywhere.

Can't you start the game with a normal PS3 controller, then hot swap for a PS2 stick and reassign controllers? That's what I had to do with Scott Pilgrim, and it worked.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
Atlus is only the publisher in the US. I remember Ignition getting a lot of credit for XII on these boards too, but my Japanese copy of the game is exactly the same and doesn't mention Ignition anywhere.

Can't you start the game with a normal PS3 controller, then hot swap for a PS2 stick and reassign controllers? That's what I had to do with Scott Pilgrim, and it worked.

Hey Neo Alec! Great idea! I can't try this as i have to wait for the PAL version to come out here:(, but since i have a ps2/ps3 joystick i was incredibly sad it wouldn't work with KOF XIII!
Have you tried this method on kof xiii yourself? Could be a life saver for me!

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
How do you do the hot swap method ?

I just got the game earlier today, but my stick isn't working.

Thanks

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
Is it just the KOF sticks that dont work with the PS3? Im useing a VSHG and a HRAP with a pelican ps2/ps3 converter and so far no problems.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
I'm using a HRAP with a 3 in 1 PC joy box converter. It works on every other fighting game except KOF XIII

Whats a VSHG ?

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I really can't wait for Flame Iori. I never could get used to his new moveset.

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm using a HRAP with a 3 in 1 PC joy box converter. It works on every other fighting game except KOF XIII

Whats a VSHG ?

Virtua Stick High Grade. Its Sega's own stick that they made for Virtua Fighter 5. It's a really nice solid stick for the PS3. Wish they made one for the 360.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Also, these trials are really, really hard. Not just execution-wise, but when you have to memorize 3 lines that include several cancels each, I lose interest, quick.

Yeah shit like that just isn't my playstyle so I say "fuck it". That's for combo videos.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah shit like that just isn't my playstyle so I say "fuck it". That's for combo videos.

I haven't seen many people who have that kind of play style. There was one miguel guy on PSN who had a really decent Kula. He sucked with the rest of his team but when it came to Kula he busted out some deep combos. I think that's a lot of people. hey have one character they can actually use. It would be kind of cool if online had a 1-on-1 option.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So do you or don't you need to go into drive mode?

You do, but you need to cancel it on the first hit of your super. You can't let your super connect and then mash. Immediately after you do the DM motions, you need to immediately go into the Neo Max motion and have it end RIGHT on the first hit of the DM, so it will cancel. When you're inputting these commands, it has to be fluid and right on time.

EDIT - So it should go like this:

Enter Drive Mode - input motion for DM, immediately after you hit PUNCH to complete the DM, go into NEO MAX input motions and time it to where the LP+HP that completes the NEO MAX hits immediately when the DM connects for the FIRST hit.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
fuck. okay, i'm buying this today if anything is open that has it, and tomorrow if not.

Some of this stuff is ridiculously specific. Like if I do a series of combos that lead into Kyo's :qcf::D:, and then I want to juggle with his DM, and then cancel into his Neo Max, I have to let him land in the exact right spot before I hit the DM, or else the flame from the Neo max cancel will miss them, and there goes all my meter.

haha
sounds like something I'd like

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
You do, but you need to cancel it on the first hit of your super. You can't let your super connect and then mash. Immediately after you do the DM motions, you need to immediately go into the Neo Max motion and have it end RIGHT on the first hit of the DM, so it will cancel. When you're inputting these commands, it has to be fluid and right on time.

EDIT - So it should go like this:

Enter Drive Mode - input motion for DM, immediately after you hit PUNCH to complete the DM, go into NEO MAX input motions and time it to where the LP+HP that completes the NEO MAX hits immediately when the DM connects for the FIRST hit.

This was tough for me @ 1st. I'd gotten lazy playing XI, where the SuperCancels seem easy in comparison. I just churn butter & pay very little attention to get Terry & Iori's out in XI.

XIII is hella strict.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I haven't seen many people who have that kind of play style. There was one miguel guy on PSN who had a really decent Kula. He sucked with the rest of his team but when it came to Kula he busted out some deep combos. I think that's a lot of people. hey have one character they can actually use. It would be kind of cool if online had a 1-on-1 option.

Exactly. Despite the ease of some of these massive combos the opportunity to have and use every single stock/bar for some ultimate doombringer combo isn't very likely.

I'm with you all the way on that online 1 on 1 thing. This is quite possibly the first KOF where I prefer doing 1 on 1 matches instead of 3 on 3. This KOF gives me the same feeling I get when I play non team based fighters like MOTW and Third Strike.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I was definitely the same way, first thing I did when I got the game was go into training mode and get comfortable with andy bogard and get some basic combos down, didn't do the same with anyone else before i got online, so I was playing ryo like ryu and terry like fatal fury special terry, but I just wanted to test the netcode, I won't remain a one character wonder lol