KOF r-2 version 2?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Yo handhelders.

So there is a second version of this game? Anyone know what the deal is?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
haven't heard about this yet... interested... need more info...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
A version 2 on cartridge or perhaps an unreleased romset? I know the attributes such as graphics can change for some games depending on if they are played in a b/w neo geo pocket or a neo geo pocket color. Perhaps version 2 of KOF R-2 is related to the ngp vs ngpc use of the game.

Can you share more details on where you heard this from?

ProxyCell

n00b
Yo handhelders.

So there is a second version of this game? Anyone know what the deal is?

Thank you very much for posting this for me lolifoxgirl !
I came across three different roms for the NGPC here on the dat-o-matic website (I won't post a link to it unless I'm told its alright, there are NO roms to download there, only information on roms such as checksum values, parent/clones and languages)
King of Fighters R-2 - Pocket Fighting Series (World) (En,Ja)
King of Fighters R-2 - Pocket Fighting Series (World) (En,Ja) (Demo)
King of Fighters R-2 Version 2 - Pocket Fighting Series (World) (En,Ja) (Demo)

That first one is the parent and the other two are clones of it. This should be fairly straight forward but I noticed that the third one has a distinctively different name with the "Version 2" appended to the main title and yet it is still a demo. Made me wonder if it was a demo for a sequel or newer version of the same title that was never released.

I played both roms and there is at least one interesting difference:
In the version 2 (demo) I can access the "MAKING" menu option that is located under the main "START" right after loading it up. This is not available to be chosen in the regular rom. This game mode lets me name a character and play out some story mode with them. The "MAKING" option is there on the regular rom but it is not selectable.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hello ProxyCell, welcome to the forums. You can post links to rom sites, no big deal.

As I see it, the roms you describe are:
- Released game
- first R2 Demo cart (one match playable with Iori, Leona, Kyo)
- second R2 Demo cart (limited play in story, making and sparring modes)

The MAKING mode becomes available in the released game once you have finished a playthrough on any difficulty (VS is for the link cable, DC is to link up with the Dreamcast version of KOF'99).

-- Unrelated Fun Fact Section: --
King of Fighters: Round 3 was announced in 1999 but cancelled in 2000, no proto/demo/rom of that (in what state ever) has been leaked afaik.

You can play a portable version of SNK's first arcade game Yo-sa-ku if you insert the Battle de Paradise in a NGP.

I know the attributes such as graphics can change for some games depending on if they are played in a b/w neo geo pocket or a neo geo pocket color. Perhaps version 2 of KOF R-2 is related to the ngp vs ngpc use of the game.
Not a bad idea, the rom would still be the same though.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Damn. Thanks for sharing the info. You schooled me.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Wasn't NFL Blitz and I think some other American made games were to be made for NGPC as well? I think at the very least they were announced?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Wow SNK Racing and World Heroes Pocket would have been cool. Are there any prototypes of these that are known to be in existence?

ProxyCell

n00b
Thanks xsq, I really appreciate the information.

and for Lets Gekiga In, no, there are no known roms dumped for them and I certainly could not find any info on a cart out there

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thanks xsq, I really appreciate the information.

and for Lets Gekiga In, no, there are no known roms dumped for them and I certainly could not find any info on a cart out there

If those carts, even a proto exists for them if they are one day found they will truly be quite an amazing find. More important to me than the silly Nintendo PlayStation.