KOF 2002 UM...the best damn modern old school KOF

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Lol. I like 2K2 for a number of reasons, but 98 is easily my favorite KOF overall. Unlike 98, in which I prefer the original release, I do prefer the UM release of 2K2 as the Neo release is ugly as sin.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Lol. I like 2K2 for a number of reasons, but 98 is easily my favorite KOF overall. Unlike 98, in which I prefer the original release, I do prefer the UM release of 2K2 as the Neo release is ugly as sin.
id rather play stock 98 vs 98 UM. I appreciate with the UM version of 2002 they did a LOT with the game

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Honestly, 02 UM feels like a completely separate game from the original 02.

It really is an amazing last hurrah for the Neo-Geo sprites though.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Honestly, 02 UM feels like a completely separate game from the original 02.

It really is an amazing last hurrah for the Neo-Geo sprites though.
and thats why 02 UM is better than 98 UM just because they went wild with it

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Maybe, but stock 2K2 has the biggest advantage of all: I can play it on the Neo. Plus I'm not a fan of the look of the lower res sprites on higher res backgrounds of the Atomiswave releases. At least the original 2K2 graphics are consistent in resolution (the backgrounds really vary in quality). That said, yeah it doesn't play quite as well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Maybe, but stock 2K2 has the biggest advantage of all: I can play it on the Neo. Plus I'm not a fan of the look of the lower res sprites on higher res backgrounds of the Atomiswave releases. At least the original 2K2 graphics are consistent in resolution (the backgrounds really vary in quality). That said, yeah it doesn't play quite as well.
Playing it on a smaller screen like the Steam Deck helps out a lot with that.

Blown up on a 65" TV, its fugly.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Yeah, that’s my problem with many of these DC sorta games/ports; The fancier but totally out of place backgrounds. I honestly don’t even know what the point of it was.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, that’s my problem with many of these DC sorta games/ports; The fancier but totally out of place backgrounds. I honestly don’t even know what the point of it was.
The point was to extend the life of their franchises at a tough time for the companh without starting over from scratch.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The point was to extend the life of their franchises at a tough time for the companh without starting over from scratch.

So you think Marvel vs Capcom 2 would have been a flop if it were made for a CPS system? Do you think the 3D backgrounds in Neo Wave generated more revenue?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just played this online and it's fun as hell. The rollback netcode works really well (everyone is on player matches) and I found there is enough added to 2k2 to make it feel like a really different game. I played someone in Australia (I'm in America) and the rollback was minimal.

I've only got a few hours into it, but I think it's fun. I'm glad I ran into this thread - it's too bad there's no option to change the backgrounds back to the original game, but you can't have everything.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I just played this online and it's fun as hell. The rollback netcode works really well (everyone is on player matches) and I found there is enough added to 2k2 to make it feel like a really different game. I played someone in Australia (I'm in America) and the rollback was minimal.

I've only got a few hours into it, but I think it's fun. I'm glad I ran into this thread - it's too bad there's no option to change the backgrounds back to the original game, but you can't have everything.
it really does feel like a totally new game

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
It was a good choice to try and brighten it up, but the original is still what 2002 is to me .... and new characters were a waste of time ... I've always wanted to figure out if it was possible to down res the backgrounds properly, used an slg on xbox 360 at one stage to help.

...but, kind of what neo alec said - it's not like 2002 was ever broken, so these days I never play um; original wins out. UM just ends up feeling a bit too much like one of those ps2 era experiments that never really was what it tries to look like...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It was a good choice to try and brighten it up, but the original is still what 2002 is to me .... and new characters were a waste of time ... I've always wanted to figure out if it was possible to down res the backgrounds properly, used an slg on xbox 360 at one stage to help.

...but, kind of what neo alec said - it's not like 2002 was ever broken, so these days I never play um; original wins out. UM just ends up feeling a bit too much like one of those ps2 era experiments that never really was what it tries to look like...
And that’s fair. Everyone gets their opinion. I love OG 02 and will have a video on it this fall as well. But for me of 98/2002 on Type X2 I like what they did with 02 better

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you consider 2K1 a mess, 2K2 is somewhat of a return to form, despite this Netherlands background.

images

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah. All the tacky ugly stuff set up. And the animals casually watching the match.

The music on that stage sucks too.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I have 98 ultimate match for PS2, never realized 2002 got a similar treatment.
I'd like to give it a go but fucking eBay prices. 😢