Kickstarter: Custom SuperGun Enclosure

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
interesting project you got there. I like that you plan to integrate the PSU. Do you have pictures/illustrations of the new (less bulky?) version?

@theMot: there are some out of the box solutions if all you're looking for is an rgb super gun with scart out. I have this one here from arcadeforge - a nice piece of engineering (included multimeter!), affordable and works like a charm. Only thing that could be improved is the need for an external PSU and maybe the "casing" (actually I like the look of PCBs, so that doesn't really bother me).

Last edited:

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
XQS, thanks for the reply. The first one I did has the power supply external still, but I did incorporate a better power jack (4-Pin) so it's a cleaner look. I am trying to find a good company to create a nice plastic enclosure for a standard Arcade Power Supply (the flat one, non-atx style) so that there is a nice clean finish all over. Believe it or not, more people wanted a small version of this thing and wanted the power supply external.

This one has Component/Composite/S-Video and RGB jacks on the back... no SCART because of the size and tiny solder points to deal with. I did remove one bit of tiny soldering by using a nice S-video Jack that has leads coming off of it.

I have two more versions to generate. One with no RGB (even smaller case!) and one with a power supply internal. I am still thinking that the arcade power supply (flat) is the way to go. I just need to really think how I want to mount everything inside. Do I go for a larger foot print and thinner box or not? Oh the decisions!

xsq

I see you're putting a lot of thought into this and listen to what people want, very respectable ;) I would agree that using a Arcade Power Supply is a good idea, I'm using one of those too and it's really nice to be able to easily regulate the 5V. What rocks about the supergun I linked above is the integrated voltage display - you might want to consider adding that to your design. Really helps when switching PCBs and gives one a feeling of safty without having to grab the old multimeter.

If you do come up with a nice enclosure for the Arcade Power Supply I'll be most interested to pick one of those up, that's something that bothers me about the one I'm currently using.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
The wait is finally over! I finalized the SuperGun Enclosure V1 and it is ready for prime time! See the Post at theSuperGun.com There are a lot of pictures associated with it. I will be uploading the unboxing video here shortly.

supergun_2.jpg

Specifications

Dimensions: 8" x 5" x 3"
Finish: Black Powder Coat, Smooth Satin Finish
Aluminum Constructed L-Shaped Case
See below for specific Cutouts and Features.

Pricing

Prices are based on the number of orders I receive.

If I can get 30+ pre-orders each case will be $75 + shipping. This includes an unpopulated case and part list.
If I get less than 30, each case will be $100 + shipping. This includes an unpopulated case and part list.
A fully assembled ready to use SuperGun, without Controller, is $350. If you need or want a controller, I can build one to your specifications for a wide range of costs. However, I recommend that a NEO-GEO Arcade Stick be purchased for a reasonably priced alternative to custom work.

Front Connections

DB15 Controller Ports on the front to support Custom Joysticks or NEO-GEO Joysticks.
LED Mount on the front to show "Power On"
Momentary Push Buttons to support "Coin" simulation. Handy for boards that don't have a Free Play mode or if you just want to track how often you need continues!

Rear Connections

Power Connection. 4 Pins to support +5V, -5V, +12V, and Ground.
DB9 Connection for a universal Kick Harness Build Approach.
2 Momentary Push Buttons for Service/Test Swtiches
Clip in Plastic Grommet for the JAMMA harness to safely enter the enclosure
RGB-S RCA Jacks for those lucky to have RGB monitors or TVs that support RGB directly
Component Video Jacks - Good for HDTVs
S-Video Jack - Good for Older TVs without Component
Composite Video Jack - Good for TVs without other options.

Internal Connections

Stand Offs properly spaced for a JROK Video Encoder to be properly mounted with standard PC screws.

Each order for a case is just that. A case. It provides the foundation for your SuperGun. You provide all of the parts, each order is accompanied by the part list that fits this case, and build it! For $350 I will build your entire SuperGun and ship it to you working. Grab a NEO-GEO controller and start playing! I typically don't build Joysticks for these because everyone likes them a little differently and there are a lot of options available. The easiest is picking up a used NEO-GEO Stick and ensuring the ports on the SuperGun are wired properly. Each SuperGun I build will be built to support a NEO-GEO pinout.

Ready to Pre-Order?

Use the Contact Page at theSuperGun.com or PM me so I can get your information and a partial payment. I am taking deposits, $50, for each case people want. This will ensure only those serious participate and the group buy is able to move forward. Once the cases arrive and are inspected, I will calculate shipping costs and final costs and inform everyone. Assume each case will be $100 and that we won't meet our goal of at least 30 units. This way nobody is disappointed if they have to pay the higher amount. I will take Pre-Orders for 2 weeks. If I receive 30+ orders before then I will start the manufacturing process to start getting these out to folks.

xsq

looks pretty nice! Definitely better than the prototype, I like the paint finish, sleek. You should add the option to have it build from you wired up for MVS Multiboards including stereo support.

Hope you find enough people to preorder, best of luck!

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
That looks sweet! I would be interested in a pre-built one in the future. But I'm kinda tight on space and money at the moment.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Damn the talented people on this forum and the endless beautiful homebrew they come up with!

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Since they are the bare bones ready to go Case you can essentially wire it for any standard you want, including the MVS Stereo. I am taking custom built orders, so if you want one built a certain way let me know!