Kickstarter: Custom SuperGun Enclosure

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi all, I wrestled with where I should post this... so please don't come running with pitchforks if this should be elsewhere.

Anyways, I started my first Kickstarter Campaign! I designed a custom SuperGun enclosure and had it manufactured! After a few discussions about it with various folks on other forums and the fact it was so well received I decided to get a lot of made and sell them! Kickstarter is helping me out... hopefully, you see some merit in the project and want to help.

Take a look here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1019323946/supergun-a-home-arcade-system-without-the-cabinet

Remember the resurgence of ShockBoxes? I was the guy who brought them back and literally had hundreds of people happy with the way they turned out.... this is my next foray into manufacturing niche products, I hope it is just as successful as my last!

Thanks for looking!

Jasen

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cool idea but I feel the enclosure seems a bit on the bulky side. Once I saw the inside of a Sigma supergun, you can make them very small and still be very easy to build.

You might want to post the dimensions of the box and some other pics of it showing the ease of the build.

Maybe take it a step further and provide a custom video encoder and basically sell a kit and they just have to assemble it.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
There is the option to get all of the parts as part of the KickStarter campaign... even a completed SuperGun. The design isn't finalized, the first prototype had a few issues and a lot of wasted space without the power supply set to be external. I am still working out some various measurements with the power supply to fit inside and making it as small as possible. I was very adamant about stuffing a decent arcade power supply in the box, that's why its a bit bigger than some of the other custom cases out there. I haven't found a good source for triple voltage power supplies that are external and can support everything thrown at it so I'm sticking with the AT sized supply.

I am also designing (in my little bit of free time) a very small form factor that has no extra space and keeps the power supply external. Again... for it to be feasible I would need a good external triple power supply.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
That's really tight dude, this is a dream item for someone like me that really wants to get more into the home arcade scene but doesn't have the room for full cabs or the ability to make something like this. Are you sure about this timing though to have started the kickstarter? I want to support this and will try but my funds are pretty tight for the Christmas season and would think other people's would be too. What's done is done but with Tax return season coming up I would of waited for when people get that bulk of money they get back that they can't wait to burn.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for the comments. It really all just happened out of the blue to be honest. I built the first prototype and someone immediately emailed me with "I WANT ONE!" so I jumped. I think that it will work out... at least I hope it does! Every little bit counts, so if you decide to donate I will be able to take it off the cost of one later. I really want everyone to get one that wants one.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I agree that the enclosure seems entirely too large. Too tall anyways.

I haven't found a good source for triple voltage power supplies that are external and can support everything thrown at it so I'm sticking with the AT sized supply.

I am also designing (in my little bit of free time) a very small form factor that has no extra space and keeps the power supply external. Again... for it to be feasible I would need a good external triple power supply.

Here is a nice dual output psu:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

You can easily incorporate a 7905 voltage regulator and small heatsink inside the SG case to give you the -5v that you need. External psu gives you the +5 and +12 and the 7905 will give you the -5. That desktop psu can provide up to 5 amps on the 5v rail and 2 amps on the 12 volt rail and that should be enough to power all but the largest, oldest boards. Might not correctly power a 6 slot MVS board fully loaded with carts, but should power 95% of the boards out there.

Plus the side benefit is that the psu is inexpensive to replace.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I like the cat and Corgi. Is there any way to have a spot for a spot for a kick harness on the enclosure?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love the idea of this project! Maybe if this gets made I'll finally get off my ass and build myself a supergun.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Having a standard kit is a good idea, saves time and effort. However, I think it would be more attractive If the enclosure were small, compact and less than $100. Anyway, good luck with your project.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was going to make a tiny one, but alas the power supply issue was just that... an issue. I wanted this to be completely plug and play. No circuit building (outside of the very simple attenuator), no guess work, etc. As for the cost, unless I ordered around 10,000 they are hard to get under $100. I may be designing a very small enclosure, something that simply slips onto a PCB no wires coming out etc... but thats Post Christmas and may end up being a one-off.

For the kick harness, yes! On the back there is a DB9 connection that you would wire your extra buttons to and use for the kickharness.

The Corgi and cat are my cheer leaders, my Shiba Inu wants nothing to do with the project!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Welcome back. And good luck on the kickstarter project.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Im interested but only if it can output RGB. I noticed it has everything but RGB output.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I'm still on the fence about arcade gaming at home. I want a cab, but I'm currently living on campus in a small apartment and I don't want to wait to find a good cab. On the other hand I've only got 6 months or so left before I move into a house... Man I want my Cab back :(

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Im interested but only if it can output RGB. I noticed it has everything but RGB output.

Keep in mind it's the enclosure only. If you wanted to have RGB jacks vice Component, you would simply use the RGB throughput on the JROK...

theMot

10 Year Member
Keep in mind it's the enclosure only. If you wanted to have RGB jacks vice Component, you would simply use the RGB throughput on the JROK...

If i went for the fully assembled system could you include rgb for me? Im not the most technically minded of members.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
If i went for the fully assembled system could you include rgb for me? Im not the most technically minded of members.

I could do that vice Component. Better yet, why not just wire it for both. You aren't the first to request a RGB set of outputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

theMot

10 Year Member
Would be better if it had a scart plug output for RGB.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
I hope everyone had a great Holiday! There are 11 days left in this Kickstarter Campaign. If you have ever wanted a SuperGun and didn't want to do the hardest part, then this Project I am heading up is for you! Every little bit counts. Thanks for your interest! Also, based on a lot of input from folks' emails and discussions I added a couple of updates to the project for everyone's enjoyment. Check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1019323946/supergun-a-home-arcade-system-without-the-cabinet

Jasen

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Despite the Kickstarter not working out I still finalized a design and it is being built now. Once it arrives I am going to do an unboxing and part placement on video to show its ease. Additionally, I will be building complete setups for folks as well.

More to follow, but I expect a video by next week.

theMot

10 Year Member
Cool, keep us updated. Im semi interested but like i said...rgb it up.