ken @ thegameroom

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
most candy cabs have a manually rotatable display, only the egret II have a mechanism that allows rotation without taking the monitor out. See http://home.insightbb.com/~ecousticforkris/blast.htm

Yeah, that's not true at all. The Egret 29 has a rotate mech as do some Capcom Q25s. Not only do they have rotate mechs, I can tell you they're easier to rotate than the Egret 2 (having owned both an Egret 2 and an Egret 29). There may be some other cabs that have mechs that I'm forgetting, but at least those three do.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Namco Exceleena 2 has a rotating mech as well.

jon713

Camel Slug
The Neo 25 can be rotated in the event you want to use the machine for jamma boards that require a vertical screen. Both would need a slight rewire or an adapter to go regular jamma as these are wired for jamma+. The bottom machine's monitor won't allow monitor rotation. I've had the 25 in. version of the machine below and they work just fine for 2 player matches. The only machines that may be a little uncomfortable for 2 players would be the Neo 19 and Capcom Minicute.

Both posted above are great machines. I personally like the style of the MVS-U on the bottom with the chrome/metal CP. If you're keeping it for straight Neo gaming, I'd pick the bottom. If you want to expand on other platforms such as CPS2, pick the Neo 25 on top.
You just made my decision so much easier :)
easy get both. duh.
I would but after this cab I wanna get a blastcity :)

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The ugly red ones? The one I had didn't have a rotate mech.

Picked this one up from N80G80 after he had it painted blue.

2011-07-19_09-49-06_386.jpg

SSS

neo retired
Picked this one up from N80G80 after he had it painted blue.

2011-07-19_09-49-06_386.jpg

Yeah, I remember seeing it when he had it. Does that really have a rotate mech in it? All I remember is the standard 4 studs to the frame.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Yeah, I remember seeing it when he had it. Does that really have a rotate mech in it? All I remember is the standard 4 studs to the frame.

Pull the 4 studs, remove bracket, pull up/out, and turn. There's even a bar that lets you rest the monitor before you even turn it.

Maybe someone took out the mech on your old one?

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Back on topic, I'll share my ken experience:

I bought my BC cab from him around summer 2010. There were the picture issues, which have been mentioned by others. He sent me pics of a different cab at first. But with persistence, I got pics of the actual cab he was going to sell me.

First problem, he said that the nearest shipping terminal was in San Antonio. So I opted for curbside liftgate service for +$150 more. He ended up shipping UPS freight, and it turns our there is a UPS freight terminal just a couple miles from my house.

After I got the cab, I noticed that there was a very small chip in the monitor. The monitor was great otherwise. It's the kind of thing that would be easy to overlook, unless you sat down and played some games. Before the sale, he described the monitor as "great" with no burn or problems. I had heard good things about him, so I decided to let him know, and see if he would do anything about it.

After a few emails, he said that he would ship me a new monitor, and I just needed to put this monitor back in the crate and ship it back. I thought, great! this guy is as good as people said he was. It took a few months of poking, but he eventually shipped the monitor. I had to go down to the shipping terminal to do the swap (not the UPS one, but another close one).

When I saw the new monitor, I noticed a large amount of screen burn. I thought "well, this must not be a problem when the screen is on" and shipped my old one back.

After getting it home and installed, the burn was very evident when playing. Not so much at 15khz, only on mostly white screens, but at 31khz it is amost always distracting. It's full screen "power smash 3" burn. Looks like power smash 3 is a lindbergh game, I guess they had LCDs in mind.

I emailed ken again, sending pics. He said that he can't keep shipping me monitors, the back and fourth shipping cost him $200. I asked for cash, $400 since he claims he sells the monitors for $600. We settled on $300. After a few months of poking I got the check in the mail.

What I don't get is why the guy spent $200 on back and fourth shipping to send me a monitor with a trashed tube?? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone have a 2930/1/4 tube they want to sell?

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Damn, that sucks to hear about your experience with Ken. The few times I have dealt with him, it was in person, so he couldn't pull the stunts he did with you.

BTW - The tube for the Blast City that you are looking for is a Toshiba A68LBT696X. I have one I could sell you (with some burn in), but I am not about to ship a tube anywhere. If you want to come to California and pick up the tube, we can work out a deal.

Back on topic, I'll share my ken experience:

I bought my BC cab from him around summer 2010. There were the picture issues, which have been mentioned by others. He sent me pics of a different cab at first. But with persistence, I got pics of the actual cab he was going to sell me.

First problem, he said that the nearest shipping terminal was in San Antonio. So I opted for curbside liftgate service for +$150 more. He ended up shipping UPS freight, and it turns our there is a UPS freight terminal just a couple miles from my house.

After I got the cab, I noticed that there was a very small chip in the monitor. The monitor was great otherwise. It's the kind of thing that would be easy to overlook, unless you sat down and played some games. Before the sale, he described the monitor as "great" with no burn or problems. I had heard good things about him, so I decided to let him know, and see if he would do anything about it.

After a few emails, he said that he would ship me a new monitor, and I just needed to put this monitor back in the crate and ship it back. I thought, great! this guy is as good as people said he was. It took a few months of poking, but he eventually shipped the monitor. I had to go down to the shipping terminal to do the swap (not the UPS one, but another close one).

When I saw the new monitor, I noticed a large amount of screen burn. I thought "well, this must not be a problem when the screen is on" and shipped my old one back.

After getting it home and installed, the burn was very evident when playing. Not so much at 15khz, only on mostly white screens, but at 31khz it is amost always distracting. It's full screen "power smash 3" burn. Looks like power smash 3 is a lindbergh game, I guess they had LCDs in mind.

I emailed ken again, sending pics. He said that he can't keep shipping me monitors, the back and fourth shipping cost him $200. I asked for cash, $400 since he claims he sells the monitors for $600. We settled on $300. After a few months of poking I got the check in the mail.

What I don't get is why the guy spent $200 on back and fourth shipping to send me a monitor with a trashed tube?? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone have a 2930/1/4 tube they want to sell?

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
chip:
DSC_3237.jpg
album

burn:
DSC_3853.jpg

album

Damn, that sucks to hear about your experience with Ken. The few times I have dealt with him, it was in person, so he couldn't pull the stunts he did with you.

BTW - The tube for the Blast City that you are looking for is a Toshiba A68LBT696X. I have one I could sell you (with some burn in), but I am not about to ship a tube anywhere. If you want to come to California and pick up the tube, we can work out a deal.

Yeah, overall I'm ok because of the money he refunded me, but the whole thing was an ordeal.

Thanks for the offer on the tube =) I'm not going to be able to drive to California any time soon though.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
That is some pretty bad burn in there. I can easily see it when the game is playing. At least the tube I have, you can't see the burn when the game is running, unless it's a totally white screen.

chip:
DSC_3237.jpg
album

burn:
DSC_3853.jpg

album

Yeah, overall I'm ok because of the money he refunded me, but the whole thing was an ordeal.

Thanks for the offer on the tube =) I'm not going to be able to drive to California any time soon though.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but, I am trying to purchase an Astro,Blast or Versus City cab. Does anybody know a reliable source for candy cabs in the Midwest? I know there are a few sites that sell them online but, I am hesitant due to shipping costs.

Hellacious

n00b
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but, I am trying to purchase an Astro,Blast or Versus City cab. Does anybody know a reliable source for candy cabs in the Midwest? I know there are a few sites that sell them online but, I am hesitant due to shipping costs.
I am in Michigan and I bought mine from 300wins who is located in California. I used STI (Specialized Transportation Inc.) and they delivered the machine to my door for roughly $470. I have also dealt with Ken and he is a good guy overall. I don't know of any specific places in the Midwest that sell them on a regular basis.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Ken is not a bad guy, you just need to go over everything regarding the state of the machine, so that you don't get something you didn't expect. He probably moves so many machines that he can't have perfect ones all the time. I should have not assumed that my 2nd purchase would be just like the 1st one...

also , a blast city is not very heavy so if you have a pick up truck , or a friend with one, it's easy to just go pick it up at the terminal and save 150$

clutch

Geese's Thug
I've got a very good+ Blast City converted from a Bass Fishing for sale if anyone is interested.

Hellacious

n00b
I've got a very good+ Blast City converted from a Bass Fishing for sale if anyone is interested.
Throw it up in the Everything Else section of Marketplace with some pictures and an asking price. I'm sure someone will be more than happy to snag it from you.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have 2 candy cabinets. One off ebay like 10 years ago, a Neo29 that I love and besides slight yellowing is prefect cabinet. Glass covers monitor, so monitor is in great shape, etc. Kids love it too because its a tank and hard to break. i.e. kids sitting on the CP, etc.

Last year I got a Sega Astro City from Ken and asked for one with perfect monitor. Well I got one with vertical line on left. Its the MS9 that's broken. He sent a replacement chassis, but it looked way worse. So I sent that one back and I'm using the old one with the vertical line. The bigger issue I had, but never expressed to him was, scratches in the anti glare coating on the CRT, the rats nest of wiring, bad fan in power supply, missing screws, really bad smell inside cabinet, scuffed up paint (most like due to shipping). I guess what I saying is that these cabinets are sometimes old, in various states and if you can find one for several hunderd more that someone pressure washed, cleaned, tested, etc - then that's the way to go. Otherwise if you can find one from a trusted forum member that's local that would be the best. Ken seems like a good guy, but I guess I was assuming all cabinets are like the first one I got from some other dude on ebay, but that's not the case.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
If your antiglare is messed up, you can buff it off the monitor using 3M fine cut rubbing compound and a buffer typically used for cars.

Golf Rat

Quiz Detective
Just bought a NAC from Ken for $850. I can't see no burn in. Cab is in very good shape. It came super wrapped in cardboard. Very safe for shipping. Still not used to the thick scan lines, darn HD games.

The insides are all wired very clean, no rats nest. My only complaint was the panel and sticks have some serious rust, which can be expected. Great guy to deal with.

Wish I could post pics with my ipad!

Last edited: