Karate Combat

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

First episode of the second season of Karate Combat is up.

The aim of Karate Combat is to reverse the gentrification of karate that has happened over the last few decades due to the soft Olympic style rules and parents essentially using dojos as daycares instead of fighting schools.

It's full contact, free form fighting. None of that bullshit where they don't allow punches to the face or stop the fight after every scoring blow.

Rule set is similar to kickboxing except:
-they use unique gloves that are curved at the end to prevent eye pokes but still allow free finger movement
-throws and sweeps are allowed
-punches to a grounded opponent are allowed
-upkicks are allowed
-chops and backfists are allowed. pokes, hammerfists, and palmstrikes are not.
-leg kicks are allowed but only above the knee

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

The aim of Karate Combat is to reverse the gentrification of karate that has happened over the last few decades due to the soft Olympic style rules and parents essentially using dojos as daycares instead of fighting schools.

It's full contact, free form fighting. None of that bullshit where they don't allow punches to the face or stop the fight after every scoring blow.

-they use unique gloves that are curved at the end to prevent eye pokes but still allow free finger movement
-upkicks are allowed
This is pretty sweet, its like only thing missing are lifebars & fireballs.

*edit*

Marsahwn is hilarious...

23:06 mark

"What was that." Watchamacall that move?" "man ive seent that move from Takken" "The dude from Takken do that"

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

-upkicks are allowed

I was not psyched about this at first. But i was wrong, this turns karate into something more than dancing

Watched it and had a good time

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
That was a fun watch.
Even though the aim is to degentrify Karate, it is still a very westerncentric take on Karate combat sport. Which is fine but vulgar

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Eh after I realized a good amount of martial arts I used to admire were created and organized specifically for profit purposes and the myth of the 80-year old asian grand masters who scoff at fake mcdojos didn't really exist I stopped caring about "vulgar" representations of martial arts.

They're good if you want to compete in a sport or just want to get fit and healthy. Not many are practical for real fighting by themselves... unless is the kind of "degentrified" version you see here.

edit: wait a sec did they just greenscreen a pretend KUMITE style arena. lol it looks like a videogame.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I watched a little bit. The commentating is kind of shit. And I'm surprised to see Bryan Callen anywhere after getting "cancelled". His agents dropped him, he got kicked off his own podcast, and even his comedian friends are acting like he never existed.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Eh after I realized a good amount of martial arts I used to admire were created and organized specifically for profit purposes and the myth of the 80-year old asian grand masters who scoff at fake mcdojos didn't really exist I stopped caring about "vulgar" representations of martial arts.

They're good if you want to compete in a sport or just want to get fit and healthy. Not many are practical for real fighting by themselves... unless is the kind of "degentrified" version you see here.

edit: wait a sec did they just greenscreen a pretend KUMITE style arena. lol it looks like a videogame.

Maybe you're right, but martial arts to me used to be interesting mostly due to their cultural component

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Karate was originally a complete martial art that included punches to the face, ground fighting, grappling, etc. But when boxing began to explode in popularity the Japanese government added a bunch of rules and limitations and it became less realistic, competitive, and hard over time. They wanted to use karate to reinforce the superiority of their own culture and consequently they removed as many of what they saw as barriers to people trying karate as they could. People don't like getting punched in the face so they removed that from most sparring and competition, which is a big reason why so many karatekas cannot fight.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Karate Combat sounds OK but Ninja Combat would be better.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is a blast to watch.

I like that fast paced combat, with the 5sec limit to ground humping.
Keeps things moving a bit

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Karate was originally a complete martial art that included punches to the face, ground fighting, grappling, etc. But when boxing began to explode in popularity the Japanese government added a bunch of rules and limitations and it became less realistic, competitive, and hard over time. They wanted to use karate to reinforce the superiority of their own culture and consequently they removed as many of what they saw as barriers to people trying karate as they could. People don't like getting punched in the face so they removed that from most sparring and competition, which is a big reason why so many karatekas cannot fight.

Spot on

famicommander

15 Year Member

Episode 4 is up.

Bas Rutten is the only returning commentary team member. Callen and Lynch have been replaced with a fat British dude.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Episode 5. There is a 75 KG World Title fight on this card.

famicommander

15 Year Member
This shit is blowing up.

Season 2 viewership by episode
Episode 1 - 271,571
Episode 2 - 194,573
Episode 3 - 366,478
Episode 4 - 473,612
Episode 5 - 402,886
Episode 6 - 288,898
Episode 7 - 1,609,328
Episode 8 - 1,474,772
Episode 9 - 1,331,587

Ever since they changed their fictional setting to Neo Tokyo the viewership skyrocketed.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Season 3 is starting soon, but no specific date.

They have added Lyoto Machida and Georges St Pierre as analysts and coaches. Bas Rutten is returning as a commentator as well, so they have three of the most famous karetekas from the MMA world involved.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Season 3 will premiere on July 1, and they actually landed a TV deal. They will air at 10:00 Eastern every Saturday on CBS Sports Network.

Looks like that surge in Youtube viewership towards the end of last year was good enough to get them some attention. They were already on BeIN Sports last year, but that's an incredibly tiny network.

The show will still air on Youtube as well, and they said they will have more news on ways to watch soon.