Just received The Super Spy

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Flipping through the manual, when suddenly;

A wild Geese appears.

I know this game wasnt developed by SNK, but do you think this is an easter egg reference of sorts? I mean, thats by no means a common everyday name

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah it's definitely suspicious.

I've had a loose AES cart of The Super Spy for some time, I haven't yet had the time to give it a real go over. BBH has a fantastic fan page for The Super Spy, a great read even if you aren't going to play it.

http://bbh.marpirc.net/superspy/

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
To me its a very satisfying arcade-type game to play, Ive always loved it and a bit surprised it goes for such low prices as to me its one of the more unique genres on the system. I love the sound effects of punching shooting and knifing people, as well as the scaling of the sprited as they come closer, always very satisfying for me to play.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I actually like it, true it is repetitive but still one of the first games I had back in the day with nam and cyberlip....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Repetitive is good, meaning it's not luck, but skill based. If you don't embrace the concept, though, either won't save the game for you.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hmm is it true?

I've haven't played a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure there is a ton to this game that people can't and
don't want to handle.

http://bbh.marpirc.net/superspy/

Still trollin', eh? Quote from the article you linked to in order to prove it's not repetitive:
A lot of reviews about the game harp on the negatives I've mentioned many times before, namely the repetitve combat and recycled enemies, which is completely understandable.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Still trollin', eh? Quote from the article you linked to in order to prove it's not repetitive:

The "repetitive" label is rarely ever a telling description of a game's content. I'm assuming that the members in this thread are dismissing the game with their use of the word. I couldn't resist questioning this.

Now, yes, BBH, who has this game broken down to a science, also used the term "repetitive". I'll take stock in his information regarding the game over anyone's really. But is he using "repetitive" the same way SNK416 and Itsofrustraing are? Doubtful. BBH's use of the term didn't dissuade me from linking the article. As I've mentioned previously, I have minimal experience with this game. The linked article gave me a clearer look into what understanding and execution is required to competently play the title (seems quite daunting!).

I'm glad you read the article. I see it pertinent for you to point out BBH's use of the term "repetitive" as well. I'd imagine you are choosing to perceive my linking of the article as a short sighted/contradictory move.

I mean, to be truly honest, since I don't derrive any understanding from the term "repetitive", I shouldn't bother questioning others when they use the term! Perhaps I was just trying to initiate an exchange of dialogue with other forum members, maybe learning a thing or two as a result. I guess that didn't work...

Lastly, you've infinitely proven that you lack the ability to discuss video games (critically or otherwise). You seem like a very intelligent person ( as I've said before). When you have difficulty understanding a point or concept of mine, calling it "trolling" paints you as rather unintelligent!

Last edited:

Double Reppuken

NGFL Member., xROTx,
Super Spy is meh... I own it (on CD), it's kinda fun, decent graphics, pretty cool sound effects. But it's frustrating, I never seem to get better at it. I inevitably get my ass kicked during the first stage. I've heard there's a technique to it, where you can actually get good...

IMO it's main merit is uniqueness. There aren't really any other games like it on the Neo, that I'm aware of...closest being Crossed Swords (?)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I enjoy The Super Spy. It was one of the first games I ever played on the Neo Geo way back when.

I remember watching BBH's 1CC years ago and it really helped my approach to the game - it's all about ya rusty shank.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the website plug guys. I don't really know what the argument is about it being repetitive... of course I'm going to say the game is repetitive, why wouldn't I? As much of a soft spot as I have for that game, of course you're doing the same shit over and over again. But I wanted to set out to prove that the game CAN be played in a one-credit manner. The game actually ends up feeling somewhat rewarding when you can survive for a while on one credit, since the mechanics of the game for one-credit play aren't completely obvious at first. Of course the other part besides learning the mechanics is learning the level layouts though, because there's dick moves that force you into fighting subbosses if you go into the wrong doors. But the game is cerainly an acquired taste...