Just got my self a neo

RushedDown

n00b
i just got an aes system with kof 95 and samurai spirits
the case has a few flaws to it but nothing to not make the system work properly

i paid $180 for it it has 2 games and 1 controller and the serial # is 018906

do u guys think i made a good buy
i always wanted a neo system so i had to pick it up

i think i may just buy the mvs converter as well since all of the aes carts seem to be so expensive and i would like to get neo turf masters but $1850 is well beyond what im willing to pay lol

$20 for the mvs version is alot more resonable

riskVSreward

Rugal's Thug
A good deal for sure.

Welcome to ng.com! Maybe now we can play FHD if you do get the cart. I personally went with a MVS, I put up a wanted ad on craigslist and a nice man in Cranston sold me one of his. It's a 2 slot with RB and Garou inside, I couldn't be happier. :D :D

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
nice, glad you guys got neos. 95 and ss1 will provide fun forever. good luck scoring ntm for $20.

Marek

Banned
talks2wall said:
Welcome to the party! :multi_co:

this_is_not_rave.jpg

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
@RushedDown,

Dude you got a deal! $180 is a very good price for an AES & two games. Any video game store would sell you just an AES for $200 bucks. Man, I love the internet. I did pick up an AES and it costed me about $300 bucks US, low serial and 8 cool games. I think I did alright.;)

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I apologize if I am posting this incorrectly. As a new member I am not yet allowed to start posts =( Anyway, I am interested in purchasing A neogeo AES system. I've played alot of the snk games in arcades and would really like the ability to play them on a genuine neogeo system. I have searched the faq and cannot find all the answers to my questions.

1.) After scouring ebay, it appears as if only JPN AES systems are available on there. Were the American systems really that rare? I would rather have an American system, because from what I understand the american systems will play the jpn games in english. Are there advantages to having a JPN system?

2.) I am interested in also purchasing some MVS carts. From what I have read there is a converter. How well do these work and how expensive are they?

3.) Any tips or suggestions when purchasing/owning an aes system would be much appreciated. A lot of those old SNK games bring back good memories of my youth so I am looking forward to purchasing a system and playing some samurai showdown/metal slug, etc with some old friends of mine.
Thats all I can think of for now.

Thank you!

Oresama

Rugal's Thug
While you could have answered those questions yourself with some good old RTFF, I'll help you out anyway.

1.There are advantages to having a Neo from either region, be it US or Japan. For the Japanese-deficient, a US system (both AES and MVS) will play all games in English that were designed to be played in English. Not all games were designed with English though, although most of these are either quiz or mahjong games. A US system should still play these games in Japanese. On the downside, many US versions of games were censored, such as enemies in Metal Slug games exploding in sweat when they are shot. Mai doesn't bounce nearly as much as she is supposed to in the US, because Americans apparently can't handle huge bouncing Japanese boobs while trying to play video games.

The best solution is to get either a Debug BIOS (AES only) or Unibios (AES and MVS compatible) installed on your system. It will allow you to switch between regions at will. Unibios also has a built it cheat database and gives you the ability to play the games' music in a jukebox.

2.For MVS to AES converters, there are a couple long threads on the board talking about them. In general most games work with them, some newer games don't. However, for the $200ish you'll spend on a converter, you can also get a decent 1 slot cabinet. You might be better off just buying an arcade if you plan on playing MVS carts (which are a lot cheaper than AES carts now). If you're in the Columbus, OH area I'm kicking around the idea of selling my cabinets since I have a supergun (and a 65" TV) now, but even though I don't really need them I'm still waffling on whether or not to part with them. They've become a part of me over the years. There are 2 major converters out there, both have their advantages from what I've read.

3.General AES advice - Have component video and either upgraded BIOS put it in immediately. With the upgraded BIOS the region won't matter anyway. Advice on playing Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug games on an AES? Bring LOTS of money, especially for Metal Slug. As an example Metal Slug can easily be found on the MVS for under 100 bucks. If you bought a legit Metal Slug AES for 10 times that everyone on this board would rave about how you just got the best deal of all time, not that you'd ever have the chance to get one so cheaply. In all fairness most games are only 2-5 times as much on the AES though. Since it sounds like you just want to play the games MVS is a much cheaper solution.

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
badda bing!

I am a long time collector of PC Engine, and I finally jumped on the NEO GEO bandwagon! I picked up a NEO GEO AES along with two Controllers and Magician Lord for $240 which includes shipping.

I'm not sure if I got as good a deal as the guy that started this thread, but I'm pretty stoked about getting some actual Softs!!!

I'm going to get the Super Converter II as well- I'll have to find out which Neo Geo model I got when it comes in the mail!

I can't wait to make some sweet deals with all the great members of these boards!!

Turbo....er NeoSage

RushedDown

n00b
just got 7 more games for $70 bucks then 80 bucks for ems shipping

fatal fury 1,2 and special
magician lord
art of fighting
world heroes 2
samurai spirits 2

only 3 of them have boxes and they all are scratched but that doesnt matter
ill buy all the loose carts i can scratched or not cause they are alot cheaper

and its just a cartridge not a cd so case scratches dont matter as long as the game works

tony starks

Starks is always out.
Oresama said:
While you could have answered those questions yourself with some good old RTFF, I'll help you out anyway.

1.There are advantages to having a Neo from either region, be it US or Japan. For the Japanese-deficient, a US system (both AES and MVS) will play all games in English that were designed to be played in English. Not all games were designed with English though, although most of these are either quiz or mahjong games. A US system should still play these games in Japanese. On the downside, many US versions of games were censored, such as enemies in Metal Slug games exploding in sweat when they are shot. Mai doesn't bounce nearly as much as she is supposed to in the US, because Americans apparently can't handle huge bouncing Japanese boobs while trying to play video games.

The best solution is to get either a Debug BIOS (AES only) or Unibios (AES and MVS compatible) installed on your system. It will allow you to switch between regions at will. Unibios also has a built it cheat database and gives you the ability to play the games' music in a jukebox.

2.For MVS to AES converters, there are a couple long threads on the board talking about them. In general most games work with them, some newer games don't. However, for the $200ish you'll spend on a converter, you can also get a decent 1 slot cabinet. You might be better off just buying an arcade if you plan on playing MVS carts (which are a lot cheaper than AES carts now). If you're in the Columbus, OH area I'm kicking around the idea of selling my cabinets since I have a supergun (and a 65" TV) now, but even though I don't really need them I'm still waffling on whether or not to part with them. They've become a part of me over the years. There are 2 major converters out there, both have their advantages from what I've read.

3.General AES advice - Have component video and either upgraded BIOS put it in immediately. With the upgraded BIOS the region won't matter anyway. Advice on playing Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug games on an AES? Bring LOTS of money, especially for Metal Slug. As an example Metal Slug can easily be found on the MVS for under 100 bucks. If you bought a legit Metal Slug AES for 10 times that everyone on this board would rave about how you just got the best deal of all time, not that you'd ever have the chance to get one so cheaply. In all fairness most games are only 2-5 times as much on the AES though. Since it sounds like you just want to play the games MVS is a much cheaper solution.

:tickled: Well put. I love it when new members help out newer members. :buttrock:

Starks out.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Oresama said:

Thank you for the rapid response. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. So let me get this straight then, If I do purchase a jpn system, it should still play english games in english correct? And it sounds like to fully enjoy the blood guts and gore of the arcade, I should really consider the jpn games. I would be purchasing mostly fighting games so I want all the gore included. Thanks again!

tony starks

Starks is always out.
Endlessnameless said:
Thank you for the rapid response. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. So let me get this straight then, If I do purchase a jpn system, it should still play english games in english correct? And it sounds like to fully enjoy the blood guts and gore of the arcade, I should really consider the jpn games. I would be purchasing mostly fighting games so I want all the gore included. Thanks again!

Any game played on a JPN system will be in Japanese text only unless you obtain a uni bios or debug bios for your AES/NGH. This will allow you to change the region setting to enable you to have English text. A Japanese system will play all games uncut no matter if the cart is US or Euro. One word of advice though, if in doubt use the search facility located at the top right of the page. You will be surprised how many people have asked the same sort of question. I think I remember asking one myself a year ago.

Starks out.

Last edited:

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
tony_starks said:
Any game played on a JPN system will be in Japanese text only unless you obtain a uni bios or debug bios for your AES/NGH. This will allow you to change the region setting to enable you to have English text. A Japanese system will play all games uncut no matter if the cart is US or Euro. One word of advice though, if in doubt use the search facility located at the top right of the page. You will be surprised how many people have asked the same sort of question. I think I remember asking one myself a year ago.

Starks out.

Thank you

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
First off, grats on the buy. It was a fantastic deal, IMO.

It sounds like you're more in this for playing games than collecting. With that in mind (yeah, here goes ...), you might want to look at getting into the MVS. For the amount you'd pay for a converter, you could get an MVS board and an inexpensive supergun. That said, you seem to be doing great getting good games for your AES at good prices, though, so it's no rush. :) Later on, when you find you want games that are priced into the stratosphere, that will be the time to add more hardware.

What's been said about modding is valid. I will say this, though: consider why you have the system. If you always wanted a Neo because you played it in the arcade, you should put a priority on adding at least S-Video or RGB / component capabilities to your system so it will look more like what you remember the arcade machines looking like. If you just always wanted to play the games on real hardware at all, don't sweat it. Do it when you feel comfortable with it. Sure, it'll look better, but I say play the hell out of it while you're still in your neo-honeymoon period. :)

Other than that, the only other thing I'd say you should seriously consider is a Unibios. If you don't know how to solder, learn. When you get decent at it, replace your bios. It's a very good investment if you're looking to get everything possible out of your games.

RushedDown

n00b
Murray said:
very informative

yeah i travel to alot of capcom game tournies and i always liked most of the neo fighters as well

so the system will probably come with me to tournaments

as far as cheap games go
ill be in japan for 3 weeks this coming august for the super battle opera tourney so ill probably pick up whatever neo games i can afford

ill probably scoop a unibios and a converter whenever i get some extra cash
most likely ill just send my system to be moded at a later point and have the svid and unibios put in it then

yeah im more in it for playing and the only collecting i plan on doing is trying to get all the good fighters so i can play the shit out of them

Last edited:

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm at a point in my life where I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but I have some money to play around with and I've decided that I want to purchase a home neo geo console as I remember that being the "ultimate" game system when I was younger. Having said that, eventually down the line I would like to purchase an MVS converter or an MVS consolized system. I know it seems a bit redundant but I would like to have both of them. I purchased a sega saturn specifically to play capcom's vs series of games as these are the best arcade to home conversions available (at least that I'm aware of) The saturn used a 4 mb ram cart to handle all the extra data. The psx version didn't have that and it had long load times and limited the amount of tag in players...anyway, I'm rambling. I appreciate all the info and your patience as I am a newb at this and am trying to read and research as much as possible before I drop some coin on this system. As a poster previously stated, I'm really not out to start a collection per se, but I wanna collect and play all the games that I remember playing with my friends in the arcades.

Thanks again.

I've been around this forum for a while now just reading a lot of posts. Recently I joined but have never posted anything, just do a lot of reading. First got into the Neo Geo scene back during the arcade days and then again during the Neo Pocket color days. Still have one and still play, well, I have two of them. This past Nov. 2007 I got me a Neo Geo CD top loader and have acquired 12 games so far. Having a great time with that. I now have become interested in the AES or MVS version purely for playing the games. :buttrock: I like carts better than CD gaming, more like the arcade. There is a lot of good info on this forum. I will probably use a lot of it to make my decision.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah I got my AES for $150 with no games so I'd say thats a deal. I think I paid $30 for Samurai Showdown alone.

Mrandersonjr

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
My neo geo aes was just delivered to my door 2 mins ago, I am just ABOUT to plug it in,i bought it with a mem card, 2 controllers,and fatal fury special! Im going to see how it is all for $199!!

Auric

n00b
I just got my US MVS 6 port w/ 7 games yesterday. A bunch of us played it alll night. My question is: What are the *must have* carts? Here is what I got with the MVS:

Aero Fighters 3
Bust-a-Move
King of Fighters 2003
Metal Slug
Samurai Showdown
Sengoku 3
SVC Chaos Plus

Cheers,

Dave