Junior Seau is dead.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wonder if it has to do with the concussions.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
That and possibly not being able to adapt to life outside the NFL.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. ....right. Any cop with a half-functioning brain would know no one shoots themselves in the chest because of the pain before you die. I call shenanigans and murder.

This isn't the first one. The athletes don't want a headshot because they want their brains studied for CTE.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That's like 8- or 9 guys from the '94 SuperBowl. Sports Legacy Institute may be on to something...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This isn't the first one. The athletes don't want a headshot because they want their brains studied for CTE.

I'm suddenly very depressed upon reading this.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'm suddenly very depressed upon reading this.

The only thing that’s depressing to me is people who are desperate enough to end their own lives and don’t know about nitrogen washout.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. ....right. Any cop with a half-functioning brain would know no one shoots themselves in the chest because of the pain before you die. I call shenanigans and murder.

One of my friends is a mortician.

The owner of his company found out he had terminal cancer and shot himself in the chest. He did so because it would be less work for the morticians to stuff him. Head shots are messy.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
One of my friends is a mortician.

The owner of his company found out he had terminal cancer and shot himself in the chest. He did so because it would be less work for the morticians to stuff him. Head shots are messy.

It also doesn’t always do the job, meaning you die in a matter of minutes in which you are in and out of consciousness; this is much the same as those who try to bleed themselves out.

You’d be surprised by how many self inflicted gunshots wounds to the head are not fatal; I’ve seen guys – all of them were men, actually – who came into the E.R. with their eyes blown out from attempting suicide via a handgun to the side of the head. Most of the time though, it was guys which failed to use a high powered handgun, and had the bullet either lodge or exit once it contacted the sphenoid or temporal area.

aria

Former Moderator
#55 was my first jersey. It was Chris Claiborne at the time (1st round draft pick), but it didn't take long for people to start assuming it was Seau again --for good reason.

For those that might not know: USC has a tradition of giving 55 only to the most promising linebackers; they don't automatically recirculate it. Seau is often the one credited with starting that tradition.

I hope his death and autopsy will go to helping those in a similar situation. I remember reading that NY Times cover story a number of years ago that really got the gears running on this issue, it was saddening what so many guys were dealing with: social/emotional shut-ins, never leaving the house. It's also linked to how much bigger/faster players are now: the collisions are causing incredible trauma. I feel a bit bad because I still love the sport (at least on the college level) and feel that it contributes to this: I love watching it, but I don't think I'd let my kid play unless he was a kicker or long-snapper (actually, being a reliable long-snapper is a great way to a long NFL career).

Other than driving his car off a cliff, have there been any reports linking Seau to CTE symptoms?

I feel bad too because I still love to watch the sport. I've got a powder blue Seau jersey in the closet, despite the fact that I've been a Chiefs fan forever. What a player..

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
#55 was my first jersey. It was Chris Claiborne at the time (1st round draft pick), but it didn't take long for people to start assuming it was Seau again --for good reason.

For those that might not know: USC has a tradition of giving 55 only to the most promising linebackers; they don't automatically recirculate it. Seau is often the one credited with starting that tradition.

I hope his death and autopsy will go to helping those in a similar situation. I remember reading that NY Times cover story a number of years ago that really got the gears running on this issue, it was saddening what so many guys were dealing with: social/emotional shut-ins, never leaving the house. It's also linked to how much bigger/faster players are now: the collisions are causing incredible trauma. I feel a bit bad because I still love the sport (at least on the college level) and feel that it contributes to this: I love watching it, but I don't think I'd let my kid play unless he was a kicker or long-snapper (actually, being a reliable long-snapper is a great way to a long NFL career).

I knew this would be a rough story (I thought of you when I read the news). There simply has to be more analysis and genuine study about
these kinds of injuries. The league has soft-pedaled this kind of shit for too long. When one of the greatest NFL players ever can't stand to live anymore,
quite literally a guy who lived the dream as an American athletic icon...there's something rotten at the core of this.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

People that follow professional boxing say that the legends have a lot of the same symptoms. Distantness, motor skill problems, problems staying awake.

Who would have thought that Mike Tyson would be smartest and most eloquent Boxing Legend????

\

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I don't who this guy but the situation sounds so fucked and depressing. Self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest? Guy must have had some serious demons.

It also doesn’t always do the job, meaning you die in a matter of minutes in which you are in and out of consciousness; this is much the same as those who try to bleed themselves out.

You’d be surprised by how many self inflicted gunshots wounds to the head are not fatal; I’ve seen guys – all of them were men, actually – who came into the E.R. with their eyes blown out from attempting suicide via a handgun to the side of the head. Most of the time though, it was guys which failed to use a high powered handgun, and had the bullet either lodge or exit once it contacted the sphenoid or temporal area.

This just disturbed the shit out of me. Mind if I ask what you do for a living?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Who would have thought that Mike Tyson would be smartest and most eloquent Boxing Legend????

\

This is sad but very true

RIP Junior, I have a cousin who loved watching him and is really sadden by this

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
RIP Junior. He was a true legend on the field.
Hopefully some positive can come out of his autopsy.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
People that follow professional boxing say that the legends have a lot of the same symptoms. Distantness, motor skill problems, problems staying awake.

\

Boxing has the most casualties from successive concussions, far and away. The problem is that the incidences are only mentioned when it applies to known fighters; fighters known to the public constitutes a small fraction of a single percent of the entire population of prize fighters in the U.S. alone. The basic nature of boxing makes it insanely dangerous. Go find a few old timers in some of those gyms in Philadelphia if you want to see first hand just how many permanent brain injuries are flying under the radar.

I don't who this guy but the situation sounds so fucked and depressing. Self inflicted gunshot wound to the chest? Guy must have had some serious demons.

This just disturbed the shit out of me. Mind if I ask what you do for a living?

Sorry about that, man.
With the exception of a few morbid instances outside the hospital in my lifetime, pretty much everything I’ve ever been exposed to has been during clinical rotations as a first responder in college; I finished my first degree as a respiratory therapist before moving onwards. I just happen to live in an area with two major trauma centers, so you’d be surprised what walks through the doors sometimes.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

\

cases have been popping up in wrestling and hockey as well. any kind of impact sport, or even sports entertainment. should helmets be worn in the squared circle? they don't help much in football. should sports like this be done away with? no not at all. really all i think can be done is inform people, players, and athletes, get regular brain scans in place, and have therapy readily available. there doesn't seem to be any drug treatment, maybe alzheimers meds. i know chris nowinski setup a whole institute for studying concussions and their effect on the brain, and set up the benoit foundation for even more research, but when talented and capable athletes are dying over something that could be prevented well research can only go so far.

aria

Former Moderator
cases have been popping up in wrestling and hockey as well. any kind of impact sport, or even sports entertainment. should helmets be worn in the squared circle? they don't help much in football. should sports like this be done away with? no not at all. really all i think can be done is inform people, players, and athletes, get regular brain scans in place, and have therapy readily available. there doesn't seem to be any drug treatment, maybe alzheimers meds. i know chris nowinski setup a whole institute for studying concussions and their effect on the brain, and set up the benoit foundation for even more research, but when talented and capable athletes are dying over something that could be prevented well research can only go so far.

Yeah, people confuse what helmets protect you from. They really can't blunt the impact of a 300 lb lineman with freakish speed running into your body and forcing your head in another direction. Kids put on pads and thing they're invincible/impervious, and when you put on shoulder pads you sort of do feel that way.

It's like people who buy Smart Cars because they think they're super safe... until they get hit by an SUV.