JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Anime Thread

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
The anime started up on 10/5 and so far its been great.

Everything about the anime series is good so far and nothing is off about it.

A lot of people's first exposure to this and mine was with the video game and translated manga from part 3. The anime is starting from part 1 and going forward from there.

The OP and ED for the show right now are great. One other anime has included a western song, this has Roundabout as its ending theme.

The best subs out for the show are Commie. Avoid the Duwang subs like the plague.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
As a fan of the comic I was really disappointed by the first episode. Compared to other modern anime TV shows, the animation is really cheap, the art was pretty bad at times and the writing was kind of awful.

I felt that it didn't capture the feeling of the comic at all.

I recorded the second episode, and will continue to watch it. I am a bit surprised that you're so positive about it.

I'll let your positive reaction inspire me to keep up with the show. I can't wait to see series two, I never read that portion of the comic.

The new series JoJolion Part 8 is fantastic.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
So it starts at part 1?I wonder if they will go through the whole run up to part 6. Interesting. I thought the Part 3 OVA series was pretty good,not as good as the manga but still pretty faithful.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The opening is kind of interesting-looking with the comic panels and hatching over CG animation. Is the whole show like that?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i love anything and everything Jojo but i kind of forgot all about this

mostly because i just don't pay attention to stuff anymore

just watched that youtube clip and i like the visual style

the frequent panel-like motionless scenes with typical animation between

creates an interesting flow

i dig it

anyone got a link to the dubs?

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
As a fan of the comic I was really disappointed by the first episode. Compared to other modern anime TV shows, the animation is really cheap, the art was pretty bad at times and the writing was kind of awful.

I felt that it didn't capture the feeling of the comic at all.

I recorded the second episode, and will continue to watch it. I am a bit surprised that you're so positive about it.

I'll let your positive reaction inspire me to keep up with the show. I can't wait to see series two, I never read that portion of the comic.

The new series JoJolion Part 8 is fantastic.

I'm actually really happy with how the anime's turning out. It holds up well compared to the comic and it shows just how much of a bastard Dio is. But with it slated for 26 eps, I wonder if they're going to stretch out Phantom Blood or if they're doing Battle Tendency next. I hope for the latter since Joseph Joestar is AMAZING.

I'm so behind on the manga it's not even funny. I think I left off at the Chocolate Disco battle in Steel Ball Run but I can't remember. I may just start over.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Op has that animation exclusive to it.

The show looks like this right now.
eh, looks okay. You can tell they had a tiny budget, though. Budget determines the number of frames of animation they are allowed to draw, and that animation is extremely limited. It looks like they cut every corner they possibly could in order to save frames, which kind of reminds me of Gantz. But even Gantz seemed to have at least double the frames this has. At least they seem to take a creative approach to it here and turn the limitation into a deliberate style. Although some things, like the mask shaking on the wall before falling off, really look kind of pathetic.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I'm actually really happy with how the anime's turning out. It holds up well compared to the comic and it shows just how much of a bastard Dio is. But with it slated for 26 eps, I wonder if they're going to stretch out Phantom Blood or if they're doing Battle Tendency next. I hope for the latter since Joseph Joestar is AMAZING.

I'm so behind on the manga it's not even funny. I think I left off at the Chocolate Disco battle in Steel Ball Run but I can't remember. I may just start over.

Ha, I'm still on vol. 3 of Stone Ocean (having done Vento Aureo start to finish in the last 3 months) if it makes you feel any better. I'm pretty sure that with the pace the show is moving, we'll hit Battle Tendency before the first season's over.

Regardless, I'm loving it so far. I'll admit that the actual animation is kind of weak, but I feel like the show just has that Jojo "essence".

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Episode 2 was much better than the first one. There were a lot less still frames and the story is CHARGING forward. There were some really badly animated parts though ... it's pretty lame that my favorite manga is getting this shitty of a treatment. It probably seems like I'm negative because I expected SO much more.

The first episode covered about a sixth of the first series. If there are 26 episodes, this is going to go pretty far into the series.

I'll be watching. Maybe I'll even get back into reading the manga. I've only read half of part 2. My wife's (I'm married now) favorite series is 4, the one in Japan. I have to agree with her that it kicks serious ass.

JoJo! We have tickets to see the JoJo exhibit in Tokyo that's being shown this month. They were nearly sold out. We're going on the 29th, I'll try and take pictures.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I have a particular soft spot for Part 4 as well, although 2 is my favorite.

It's funny how Jojo has hung on and, over the years, sort of grown from the cult following it used to have to being kind of an actual big thing. For most of it's original run, it was a mid-book series. Often in the back half of Jump along with Kochira Katsushika-ku and stuff, with only the occasional lead story. When Part 1 didn't take off quite the way I think they were expecting, the series started migrating further back into the magazine, until Part 3 started catching on.

Earlier this year, I finally threw out pretty much all the Japanese weekly comics I'd bought over the last 25+ years. Boxes and boxes of the stuff in my garage. Hanging on to that stuff is a American comics fan's disease. Japanese readers just recycle them and buy the compilations of the series they like. But there were a few odds and ends I kept, like some of the color sections from Jojo part 4. And the one full issue of Jump I kept was the debut of Jojo part 1 back in...1986 (I think?). I remember seeing it on the stand and thinking, "That's the guy who drew Baoh!" Can't throw that out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What is the connecting theme between all the Jojo series? Tragedy?

Yeah, I have a particular soft spot for Part 4 as well, although 2 is my favorite.

It's funny how Jojo has hung on and, over the years, sort of grown from the cult following it used to have to being kind of an actual big thing. For most of it's original run, it was a mid-book series. Often in the back half of Jump along with Kochira Katsushika-ku and stuff, with only the occasional lead story. When Part 1 didn't take off quite the way I think they were expecting, the series started migrating further back into the magazine, until Part 3 started catching on.

Earlier this year, I finally threw out pretty much all the Japanese weekly comics I'd bought over the last 25+ years. Boxes and boxes of the stuff in my garage. Hanging on to that stuff is a American comics fan's disease. Japanese readers just recycle them and buy the compilations of the series they like. But there were a few odds and ends I kept, like some of the color sections from Jojo part 4. And the one full issue of Jump I kept was the debut of Jojo part 1 back in...1986 (I think?). I remember seeing it on the stand and thinking, "That's the guy who drew Baoh!" Can't throw that out.

i like this post.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member

That is awesome! My first year living here I collected a lot of Young Jumps for the comic Tough. I threw out so many comics, there was a whole wall of them just after a year.

That's so awesome that you kept the color parts of 4. I would like to collect a full set of the comics some day.

JoJo has really exploded in popularity over the years. Surprisingly a lot of my friends (not from Japan) don't like the art style or the comic. I don't know what it is about it, maybe it's too influenced by western comics? I'm not sure, it's definitely my favorite Japanese comic.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I think the Arcade Jojo was my first exposure to the series. I was familiar with the artist since he had done Baoh that was released here in the US both Manga and the OVA. After I played the Jojo arcade game I got the DC port and found the manga online. I did buy the US OVA release of part 3 and the US Manga Release of part 3. I love how each series is it's own animal altogether with various themes.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member

The main connection is the Joestar family and the stories revolve around them and their friends throughout the decades.

1 is Johnathan Joestar

2 is Joseph Joestar, grandson of Johnathan

3 is Jotaro Kujo, grandson of Joseph

4 is Josuke Higashikata, son of Joseph and great-uncle to Jotaro (also my favorite Jojo)

5 is Giorno Giovanna, son of Dio Brando (with Johnathan's body, making him technically a Joestar)

6 is Joylene Kujo, daughter of Jotaro

7 is Johnny Joestar, Alternate Universe version of Johnathan (long story. Read the Stone Ocean arc for more)

8 is Alternate Universe Josuke (see above)

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper

ジョジョ立ち, JoJo Dachi (weird Jojo poses) mostly

...and utter manliness...

JK064.jpg

...but still mostly poses

(the morning radio-exercises look fun, but that jumping would destroy my ankle ...again)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah I know about the family connections (and the poses), but is there a theme, a motif, that underlies the manga?

For example, the theme in the Venture Bros is failure. What about JoJo?

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Now they made a theatrical animated movie of Phantom Blood a few years ago but I heard Araki did not like it. Anyone ever see it?