John Madden passes away

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
NFL legend John Madden dies at 85

How you remember John Madden is likely a direct reflection of your age. He was one of football’s biggest titans, leaving his impact on the game in a myriad of ways.

He became a Hall of Fame coach with the Oakland Raiders in the 1970s, worked as one of history’s best broadcasters for the three decades after that and today exists as the namesake of a video game franchise played by millions who never knew him as a coach or broadcaster.

Put it this way: Not everyone knows John Madden for the same reason. But everyone knows John Madden.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
RIP one of my favorite coaches, best color commentators and smart enough to sign his name to those kiddie video games.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When I think “Madden” I can only think of how it’s the worst day to be working at Electronics Boutique.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Due to John Madden, for about 5 years in the 90s many Europeans had a brief, shaky understanding of what the fuck was going on in an American football game, and it was fun.

RIP

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks to the guy who made a million shitty genesis carts
Man, I did have a great times playing those Madden games during Christmas family get togethers. They are shitty now but back then everyone was playing them.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Due to John Madden, for about 5 years in the 90s many Europeans had a brief, shaky understanding of what the fuck was going on in an American football game, and it was fun.

RIP

Interesting.

There is a documentary on him out right now (so I'm speculating Fox had something to do with Madden's demise to bump the ratings), and one of the things he talked about was that when he went into broadcasting he wanted to do something he felt like wasn't being done which was teach the viewer the game.

He also called the average sportscasters 'the haircuts', which is funny because of the digs that Cosell took at the 'jockocracy' in his memoir I Never Played the Game.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

RIP

Wow, he could do that? Seems like a super power. I’ve been living in the US all my life and this game makes zero sense to me. When people explain aspects of it to me I just think…”well that doesn’t even sound like a game…the ball barely fucking moves!”. I’ve never had hockey or basketball “explained” to me like it was Dungeons and Dragons or free jazz. Anyone, even locker stuffing like me, can easily see how it works just by looking at it.

Sports, like jokes, if you have have them explained to you…something went wrong. Nobody could ever explain to me why the NFL is just…standing around doing nothing for easily 3/4 of the “game”, literally, and somehow the Super Bowl always gets amazing ratings. I guess fans like naps between the plays…or long potty breaks to facilitate beer release out one port or the other.

As televised, I’ve never seen a more boring sport…and apparently a lot of those jocks get sad when they get “old” (like, 32) and either blow their brains out or go on a murder spree and blow their brains out later. Then you have Tom Brady and Poppa John and OJ…lord, how American football sucks. I can’t wait until the NFL gets a Vegas residency and is banned from every other state for massive fraud and cruelty to humans…but it will still get better ratings than anything else!

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Sucks I reckon, no investment from me.
I hope this marks the end of shitty hand-egg games.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Wow, he could do that? Seems like a super power. I’ve been living in the US all my life and this game makes zero sense to me. When people explain aspects of it to me I just think…”well that doesn’t even sound like a game…the ball barely fucking moves!”. I’ve never had hockey or basketball “explained” to me like it was Dungeons and Dragons or free jazz. Anyone, even locker stuffing like me, can easily see how it works just by looking at it.

Sports, like jokes, if you have have them explained to you…something went wrong. Nobody could ever explain to me why the NFL is just…standing around doing nothing for easily 3/4 of the “game”, literally, and somehow the Super Bowl always gets amazing ratings. I guess fans like naps between the plays…or long potty breaks to facilitate beer release out one port or the other.

As televised, I’ve never seen a more boring sport…and apparently a lot of those jocks get sad when they get “old” (like, 32) and either blow their brains out or go on a murder spree and blow their brains out later. Then you have Tom Brady and Poppa John and OJ…lord, how American football sucks. I can’t wait until the NFL gets a Vegas residency and is banned from every other state for massive fraud and cruelty to humans…but it will still get better ratings than anything else!
why do you have so many bad takes?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

What you say about sports, not true at all.
Also american football is easily reductable. Cross the opposing line with the ball = score. Kick the ball between the posts= score. Whoever scored most at match's end wins.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member

another genius post

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I mean, if the most dumb of morons in the US can grasp and obsess about American football, then how can anyone not?

It's not really all that hard.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
RIP man with the name that meant super boring games for me.

Apprently he was a good man so my condolences to his fans, friends and family.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
RIP man with the name that meant super boring games for me.

Apprently he was a good man so my condolences to his fans, friends and family.
it's okay tak. you are a euro, so you get a pass on the football issue. not zeta though.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I was hoping this necro bump meant Madden had come back to life