Japangameonline MVS converter - No sound

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
One of these JapanGameOnline MVS converters (Fusion clone) has graced my presence and presents zero sound with the following carts:

Metal Slug
Metal Slug 3
KOF'99
Neo Turf Masters

I'm testing this on a Unibios 4.0 3-6 AES (9V 3A supply) and the jukebox option displays 'error starting jukebox' or something to that effect. I have tested AES carts from Nam to KOF2000 without issue.

There is no jingle at bootup, no sound during game, nothing. I have traced the SDD0-7, SDA0-15 and 8M,4M traces between the AES and MVS edge connectors of the converter and all are fine.

I have cleaned the AES cartridge slot, the converters AES edge, MVS slot on converter and the MVS cartridges properly to no avail. I have even re-flowed all of the pins on the MVS end of the converter.

Graphics wise everything is perfect, unit works every time without fail.

If anyone has any ideas before I throw this fucking thing in the bin I'd be grateful.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
One of these JapanGameOnline MVS converters (Fusion clone) has graced my presence and presents zero sound with the following carts:

Metal Slug
Metal Slug 3
KOF'99
Neo Turf Masters

I'm testing this on a Unibios 4.0 3-6 AES (9V 3A supply) and the jukebox option displays 'error starting jukebox' or something to that effect. I have tested AES carts from Nam to KOF2000 without issue.

There is no jingle at bootup, no sound during game, nothing. I have traced the SDD0-7, SDA0-15 and 8M,4M traces between the AES and MVS edge connectors of the converter and all are fine.

I have cleaned the AES cartridge slot, the converters AES edge, MVS slot on converter and the MVS cartridges properly to no avail. I have even re-flowed all of the pins on the MVS end of the converter.

Graphics wise everything is perfect, unit works every time without fail.

If anyone has any ideas before I throw this fucking thing in the bin I'd be grateful.

I have never used one but I remember reading that they were pretty much all crap.
But other than what you have done the only thing I could thing of is checking your PSU?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have never used one but I remember reading that they were pretty much all crap.
But other than what you have done the only thing I could thing of is checking your PSU?

When I bought a new PSU I intentionally went for the highest current rating I could buy, 9V 3A. I just can't see that being an issue for the audio section.

Edit: audio pins are entirely passive.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
When I bought a new PSU I intentionally went for the highest current rating I could buy, 9V 3A. I just can't see that being an issue for the audio section.

I know a lot of the audio section is passive but some is multiplexed via the Altera MAX II CPLD. I haven't traced the pins leading to the CPLD admittedly, that will be by next step.

Ahh yeah missed that bit in your first post.

3A should more than cover it.

Buy a CMVS ;)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
My bad, looks like all the audio related pins just go straight through and all traced out fine.

In an act of desperation I thoroughly cleaned both of the PCB's with circuit board cleaner and off came a huge amount of flux residue. The entire thing was covered in the shit. Also had to shave the sides of the edge connectors so that it doesn't jam itself in the cart slot.

It now works perfectly! Although it doesn't like being fully inserted into the cart slot.