Jackson + LotR Team will create Halo movie

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051004/tc_nm/media_microsoft_halo_dc

Microsoft, film studios tap Jackson for 'Halo'

By Lisa Baertlein
1 hour, 35 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Oscar-winning creative team behind the "The Lord of the Rings" films, including director Peter Jackson, has been named to run the production of the upcoming film based on Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) blockbuster "Halo" video game, the company said on Tuesday.

Jackson and his wife, Fran Walsh, will serve as the executive producers for "Halo," which is targeted for worldwide release in mid-2007 by Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox film studios.

Universal will oversee the film's production and domestic distribution. Fox will handle international distribution.

Donna Langley, Universal's production president, told Reuters it is impossible at this early stage to give specific details about the film.

"The game is a good template," hinted Langley, who added that "Halo" will have a bigger budget than "Doom," the video game-inspired Universal film due in theaters later this month.

Langley described "Doom" as a monster chase movie that moves from Point A to Point B. The "Halo" games have a more complex mythology, characters, environments and worlds, Langley said.

"Halo," the best-selling franchise for Microsoft's Xbox game console, follows the adventures of the futuristic super-soldier "Master Chief" as he battles an alien onslaught.

ERADICATING CYNICISM

The "Halo" movie will be shot in Wellington, New Zealand, and will use Jackson's production and post-production facilities there.

"He eradicates any cynicism that might exist with core fans (of the game). At the same time, he makes a movie like this appealing to a mainstream audience," Langley said of the director, who is an avid video game player and fan of "Halo."

The executive producers will collaborate with Universal, Fox and Microsoft's Bungie Studios, which created the game.

Screenwriter and novelist Alex Garland wrote the original feature film adaptation of Halo. A director will be named in coming weeks, and the cast has yet to be announced.

Jackson and Walsh are currently in post-production on Universal's "King Kong," slated for release in December. "Halo" marks the first time that the duo are acting as executive producers on a major film that Jackson is not directing.

The video game industry -- whose sales rival those of U.S. box offices -- is gaining status, taming its maverick image and moving closer to Hollywood. By the time of its release, "Halo" will join such other video game-inspired films as "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," "Resident Evil," and "Doom." But the industry's Hollywood inroads have not been without bumps.

Hollywood's major film studios gave Microsoft a cool reception last spring when the company came to them with an initially high asking price for "Halo." The script was delivered by costumed, laser gun-toting messengers.

As part of their deal with the global software giant and No. 2 video game console maker, Universal and Fox will pay Microsoft $5 million plus a percentage of movie ticket sales. The price is capped at 10 percent of domestic box office receipts.

Universal Pictures is operated by the NBC Universal media division of General Electric Co. (NYSE:GE - news), and is co-owned by Vivendi Universal (EAUG.PA). Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp Ltd. (NYSE:NWSA - news)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I heard that this story is bullshit....

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
well this sounds promising, new zeland is definetly picture perfect as far as the early Halo levels go. and with production over there they will save some money and should be able to put it towards special effects/actors.

hell starship troopers was the borderline halo movie, if it's anything like that it'll own.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
DashK said:
well this sounds promising, new zeland is definetly picture perfect as far as the early Halo levels go. and with production over there they will save some money and should be able to put it towards special effects/actors.

hell starship troopers was the borderline halo movie, if it's anything like that it'll own.

Starship troopers was fucking terrible

A Halo movie just doesn't sound appealing. Not in any light unless they get MAsterchiefs in game voice actor for the movie and Shaquiel O'niel to where the suit (chief is about 7 feet tall)

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I loved Starship Troopers. The sequel didn't look near as good, but I only saw the shitty ending.

This movie will make a lot of money for Microsoft. They are really turning Halo into a cash cow.

Makes you wonder why Nintendo doesn't try to get Mario on as a CGI movie now as they are real popular.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ok i figured it out...

A few weeks ago, news was that he was going to DIRECT.... that was bullshit but his group will executive produce.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
Makes you wonder why Nintendo doesn't try to get Mario on as a CGI movie now as they are real popular.

John Leguzamo>CGI

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
norton9478 said:
I heard that this story is bullshit....

It was just a rumor previously (and apparently some hints were dropped by a user with a phony account on Bungie's message boards a couple weeks back) but this is official. MS is holding a European press conference at the moment, and as part of the keynote address, there was a taped video of Jackson himself discussing how he's going to be exec producer on the movie.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is Jackson the new George Lucas???

A breakout successfulll trilogy followed by 20 years of garbage

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
they should seriously consider using the VA for MC and Cortana from the games, cortana esp., i just can't picture anyone else.

and they better not do anything gay like cast Ben Affleck as MC.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Halo has no story... I can't see how it can be turned into film.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
Halo has no story... I can't see how it can be turned into film.

don't be ignorant man, of course halo has a story, did you even read the novels?

it just just as much story as aliens did, and that movie rocked.

Curt

apostate
norton9478 said:
Temple and Crusade were.....

Some of the worst special effects of it's era.

I'll fight you. :mad:

Meet me in the parking lot after lunch. :very_ang: You're going down.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
DashK said:
don't be ignorant man, of course halo has a story, did you even read the novels?

it just just as much story as aliens did, and that movie rocked.

lol, novels based on Halo.

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Curt said:
WTF? Indiana Jones Was not Garbage. (Lucas/Spielberg I know)

don't forget american graffiti :crying:

also, master chief has no personality. i don't see how this will be a good movie at all...

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
beatifik said:
also, master chief has no personality. i don't see how this will be a good movie at all...
I admit I'd rather watch a 2 hour Red vs Blue movie.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Temple and Crusade were.....

Some of the worst special effects of it's era.

You should be killed for talking that way about the Last Crusade.

Everything about that film is genius.

I wont be seeing this Halo movie.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
beatifik said:

well he has just as much personality as arnold did in the first terminator.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
A breakout successfull trilogy preceeded by 10 years of garbage

Adjusted Norton's remark when I recalled having seen older Jackson films such as Meet the Feebles, Dead Alive, Bad Taste, the Frighteners, etc.