Is there a mass exodus from California, New York and other blue states?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
A lot of people from NY and the northeast seem to be buying houses around here (even more than usual). They are driving up house prices, property taxes, and fagitry levels. I have also noticed some of my more Trumpian neighbors erecting flags, which never used to be a thing. Is this a signal or code for when the civil unrest begins? There was a huge Trump sign in one yard for a few days until they presumably got a C&D letter from the HOA.

Joe Rogan and some other prominent celebrities have left California for Texas and elsewhere.

Kanye West bought a ranch in WY, so apparently nowhere is safe from these people.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I lived in Denver for 20 years 15 years ago and the metro area all grew together making the population grow from 500k to 3m. I've heard now it all touches even further to Castle Rock and Is getting close to Colorado Springs.

Seems like most of the people were from California, a bunch were from Texas, New Mexico, Florida and some other states as well though.

I just assumed CA has a purge from time to time and kicks out the fat, ugly and stupid.

It's funny, when they get there they all oh man it's so expensive in Cali. But yeah now that several million of you have moved here it's almost as expensive here as well.

A bunch of them move back and forth as well.

I know it's gotten even worse since the made weed legal.

I bet with this recent round of fires the last few years a bunch of people are calling it quits, they're tired of all the mudslides, earth quakes and other natural disasters.

It's the same problem everywhere, the places were there's good jobs the housing is incredibly expensive. There's cheap housing in CA as well but you'll be surrounded by metheads and will be a good several hours commute from all the good jobs.

So no I don't think it's a new phenomenon because of politics.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Meh, that's nothing new. Rich celebrities buy up properties everywhere. There is no mass exodus from blue states.

IMO there is a housing/rent price crisis in America but that's something else entirely.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Haven't multimillionaires been buying up property in Wyoming since at least the early 90's?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
is it a message? yes. Any house with a trump flag up gets a discrete delivery of valacyclovir.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I just assumed CA has a purge from time to time and kicks out the fat, ugly and stupid.
I've lived in Southern California (Los Angeles and San Diego) for most of my half century on this Earth, and what we're seeing is something new. LA is becoming a shithole on a level never previously seen. On my more conspiratorial-minded days, I almost think the Democrats are tanking the economy purposely in an attempt to make sure Trump doesn't get reelected. It's not just the shutdown leading to mass unemployment and so many families losing their homes and small businesses. On top of that, they're looking to increase taxes to a ridiculous degree on whoever is left standing. The things I hear from friends still there sound like a nightmare. If I was back there now, I would be desperately looking to get out again.

The Rogan situation is its own thing, since he just got a multi-million dollar deal and is looking not to pay income tax on it. Especially since California is trying to push through a tax increase that would be retroactive 15 years. That has very little to do with the rest of what's going on there.

All that being said, I qualify as at least ugly and stupid, if not fat, so maybe I'm too close to comment objectively.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rich people are actually moving to California.

Forcing out less wealthy people..

-Interstate Gentrification.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've lived in Southern California (Los Angeles and San Diego) for most of my half century on this Earth

Kid canon updated. This is very solid and I am taking it literally.

edit: "All that being said, I qualify as at least ugly and stupid, if not fat,"

This is not being added to the canon.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That being said, The trump admin has really put the finnancial squeeze on states like California, NY, NJ, CT and Massachusetts.

Republicans at the federal level have long milked those states, Trump just took it up to eleven.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I am saying you thinking you are ugly, old, and fat is not worthy of being added to the canon. Because those don't matter.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
California has many dire problems, chief among them being a complete lack of affordable housing (including rent) and an exploding homeless population.

It’s really bad in the urban areas but you still feel it even in more rural areas. I make 54K a year and rent in a shithole like Oakland hovers around $2K a month. That would be more than half my gross salary for rent. That’s insane. Thankfully I don’t live in Oakland. Average rent in my town of 15,000, however, is $1400. That’s crazy, even on a $15 minimum wage (Burger Joint down my house starts at $15/hour.)

The wealth gap in California is pretty large and I don’t feel like the Democratic Party in CA gives a shit. At the state level they’re all well-to-do educated liberals. The Republicans are the same, well-to-do business owners.

Ain’t no one looking out for the working man, except Geddy and Alex (RIP Neil.)

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There seems to be an influx of people moving here from NYC, but not really hearing of people moving out. Which may be the case, because there have been complaints about not being able to find rental properties over the past couple of months.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
CA is insane. Last year I had an opportunity to relocate to San Francisco and I spent a week there with the team. Loved it but when I started looking at housing prices I immediate ruled it out. I don’t want every penny I make going into housing.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
California is like the movie Elysium.

Except I guess not because they were able to keep the hobos off the space station.

The homeless situation in San Fran is really bad.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
People warned me before I went down there but it was much worse than I had expected.

They work on east coast time there so I would leave my hotel and walk to the office at 4:45 in the morning...very sad to see people tucked into nooks and crannies sleeping away.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My Grandad was a a priest in Torrance, He used to say that
"When there is no more room in california, the dead will walk the earth".

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
In the short time I lived in Dallas from 2015 to 2016, I saw a large influx of people from California (and some from New York). People can try to point the finger at California or New York's high cost of living or affordable housing shortage but the reality is the majorityof these people moved to Texas because of tax incentives.

Dallas in particular was busting its ass to attract companies to come to the city, but now that it's all said and done they want to complain about how blue it's turning or how expensive it's becoming? Maybe they should have thought of that before starting these programs. I did meet some people that moved there organically but those people were not the majority.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In the short time I lived in Dallas from 2015 to 2016, I saw a large influx of people from California (and some from New York). People can try to point the finger at California or New York's high cost of living or affordable housing shortage but the reality is the majorityof these people moved to Texas because of tax incentives.

Dallas in particular was busting its ass to attract companies to come to the city, but now that it's all said and done they want to complain about how blue it's turning or how expensive it's becoming? Maybe they should have thought of that before starting these programs. I did meet some people that moved there organically but those people were not the majority.

chances are good that they moved there for jobs.