Is the sega Saturn overrated for shoot em ups?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
My issue with the Saturn is that many of the "best" shmups have now been ported...

This. It’s a great system with amazing ports for the time that I still play a lot (admittedly mostly for offbeat fighters like Astra Superstars and the like), but if you’re just now getting into it many of the shoot em ups can finally be played in other ways now.

Regarding Toaplan’s games, those are also finally on the way to modern consoles now too thanks to M2:
https://www.siliconera.com/m2-to-bring-nearly-all-toaplan-games-to-modern-home-consoles/

Edit: If you’re a longtime player of the title, then I understand the appeal of an accurate port with added extras (Sengoku Blade, etc). It’s when gamers pay high prices to *try out* games for the first time that I don’t really get...but to each their own, of course.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I wonder how much Crows: The Battle Action sells for now. I bought it here from, I think it was BIG, for like...under a hundred dollars for sure. $70 to $90.

I bought mine years ago, but last I checked...it hasn't increased all that much.

Anyway, I don't really know why I bothered giving OP a sincere reply (though not without a mildly rude comment in the end).

In this era of the "gotta collect 'em all" mentality, obviously more people have gravitated and grown curious about the saturn.

But, yeah, this machine is not for everyone. The real hardcore arcade game person that can understand where the consoles shines would rather own the pcbs, and the more casual type that's more into just buying stuff probably still wouldn't fully understand the appeal of the console (though they may appreciate and enjoy the "exclusivity" of it).

Though I guess you have your "anything and all things SEGA" people too. Eh, I don't like to pigeon-hole and make sweeping generalizations about people I haven't met who may or may not exist but you know what I mean.

YES. The console isn't for everyone, but it fits my taste to a T. Heck, it may be largely responsible for shaping my tastes..

This subject has been done to death here (but that's ok).

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
This. It’s a great system with amazing ports for the time that I still play a lot (admittedly mostly for offbeat fighters like Astra Superstars and the like), but if you’re just now getting into it many of the shoot em ups can finally be played in other ways now.

Regarding Toaplan’s games, those are also finally on the way to modern consoles now too thanks to M2:
https://www.siliconera.com/m2-to-bring-nearly-all-toaplan-games-to-modern-home-consoles/

yeah, I'm still waiting for M2 to port the rest of the Raizing/8ing games (an Armed Police Batrider release would make me the happiest gamer in the world). Toaplan is a good company, but most of their stuff is very old school in gameplay (big hitbox, fast bullets) with some exceptions, of course. They deserve the respect they get because they were a proto-shmup company, had they not gone out of business we wouldn't have seen the Raizing/Cave games that evolved from their ashes.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
yeah, I'm still waiting for M2 to port the rest of the Raizing/8ing games (an Armed Police Batrider release would make me the happiest gamer in the world). Toaplan is a good company, but most of their stuff is very old school in gameplay (big hitbox, fast bullets) with some exceptions, of course. They deserve the respect they get because they were a proto-shmup company, had they not gone out of business we wouldn't have seen the Raizing/Cave games that evolved from their ashes.

Hell yeah. M2 has been on a roll lately. That’s a really fair point about Toaplan’s library and legacy.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I want to say "yes" to the thread title but then I'd be afraid to admit the same thing for the PC Engine. Noooooo...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The real hardcore arcade game person that can understand where the consoles shines would rather own the pcbs, and the more casual type that's more into just buying stuff probably still wouldn't fully understand the appeal of the console (though they may appreciate and enjoy the "exclusivity" of it).

Nailed it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I find the PC Engine to be overrated (for very different reasons though).

I mean to each his own, but I'd say the following original titles are pretty solid:

Gates of Thunder
Lord of Thunder
Solider Blade
Final Solider
Air Zonk
Blazing Lazers

The system is a shmup machine, but honestly most aren't as good as the aforementioned.

[SUB](fuck Sapphire, most overrated piece of shit game ever)[/SUB]

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Saturn
I bought on release when it came out in Japan, grey import. Payed a fuckton for it but I was giddy. Not with the console per se, just with having spending money.
What I have always loved about Saturn- packaging and presentation of games and consoles alike, obscurity of much of what came out for it, the under dog aspect Sega has always maintained when they where in the console markets, the controller, the feeling that something big was always just around the corner though this never came to fruition though something like Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga where around the ballpark.

Problem with ports for me was that it's only proper representative at the arcades facing off against Namco/Sony System boards was the ST-V and I do love that system, but it wasn't supported enough. It was a minor arcade system for Sega, whereas Namco was pushing cutting edge arcade experiences which where then to be accessed for the home without much of a hitch.

Was never that impressed with the neo geo ports, I had the system already (no I wasn't rich, just lucky in some trades), and yeah metal slug I got for Saturn rather than the SNK console, but I don't know, just knowing it existed in home cart format, I didn't much care for the Saturn version.
The Capcom fighters where a different story.

Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers, Fighter's Megamix, etc. I had a lot of fun with those games, but... yeah

I love some trashy games for the system. The people at computer exchange where I got my Saturn had accidently left Shinobi in the system (bought the console used like new) and I have to say, I love that game.

Erm.... who cares right? I don't
Just wish I could buy this stuff for little to nothing like back in the early 00s

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hyper Duel port is on the Saturn and it's dope as fug.

Roker is smoking that shit again.

I think the PS2 is king for shtmups. So many great ports.

2nd comes Saturn 3rd PCE and 4th Genny.

Saturn has Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, and BlastWind. Those three games alone make it worth owning a Saturn even with Battle Garegga being available on the PS4.

Edit: Kinda late on the post. Guess I was a page behind and nver updated.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
It is a great system, but like every other retro game system in 2020- prices are really expensive. It is a shame the ODE's are not more widely available.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Roker is smoking that shit again.

... even with Battle Garegga being available on the PS4

We're all entitled to our opinions.

I think I've spent enough time with the Saturn and ultimately sold it with no remorse. Maybe if those ode chips were more widely available I might give it another shot.

Also M2's port made me a believer of their talents.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
RayForce (PS2) - don't care for this game but some people do.

:thevt::thevt::thevt:

Dunno how the rokestar can hate a game with a song called Penetration but here we are.

Here's one more :thevt: for you

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Maybe if those ode chips were more widely available I might give it another shot.

There are 2 more ODE devices hitting the market soon, the Satiator and the Fenrir. The Satiator uses the RAM Cart slot as an ODE, while the Fenrir is like athe GDEmu - you replace the optical drive in your system (which apparently takes like 5 mins to install). There are some good Saturn ODE options coming this year, now's a good time to give it another shot.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The people at computer exchange where I got my Saturn had accidently left Shinobi in the system (bought the console used like new) and I have to say, I love that game.

I always get anxious around the 1:00 mark

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Today I went to the swap meet that opens on Friday nights for a short time to take a look. I didn’t find a Saturn but I did come away with bio hazard battle (with box but missing manual) and atomic runner cib for 5 each.

I’ve got a short list of Saturn games I want to grab. I’m thinking I will find a console around town. I’ve seen one for 40 and one for 60 (cib system) both came with a game or two in the last 6 months so it’s good I’m not in a rush I’ll save a bit being patient.

Ive really been wanting to get a few more English AES games so I’ve been saving and watching the for sale section in the mean time.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
We're all entitled to our opinions.

I think I've spent enough time with the Saturn and ultimately sold it with no remorse. Maybe if those ode chips were more widely available I might give it another shot.

Also M2's port made me a believer of their talents.

I'm just bust'n chops brother. I sold mine as well with the intention of purchasing one with a ode installed in the future. It's not considered a must have console for me but still great.

Hyper Duel was one of my favorite games on it especially with that arranged Saturn version. I did also enjoy other games like Outrun with 60fps option.

A big reason for me owning the Saturn was the awesome lineup of Capcom fighting games but once I got ahold of a cps2 multi I wasn't using it as often. The NeoGeo ports are solid as well but If you have a NeoGeo it's kind of pointless unless you like the cd music. I prefer the rom versions.

For people who love arcade games it's a great console to own.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There are 2 more ODE devices hitting the market soon, the Satiator and the Fenrir. The Satiator uses the RAM Cart slot as an ODE, while the Fenrir is like athe GDEmu - you replace the optical drive in your system (which apparently takes like 5 mins to install). There are some good Saturn ODE options coming this year, now's a good time to give it another shot.

That's encouraging. The way it is right now is horrible. As soon as a sale opens up they're snatched up within minutes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Yea, I heard about these. The Satiator one looks very attractive. Nice easy plug and play solution. Would love one were you could just drop the folder or zip file of the game and get going.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Today I went to the swap meet that opens on Friday nights for a short time to take a look. I didn’t find a Saturn but I did come away with bio hazard battle (with box but missing manual) and atomic runner cib for 5 each.

I’ve got a short list of Saturn games I want to grab. I’m thinking I will find a console around town. I’ve seen one for 40 and one for 60 (cib system) both came with a game or two in the last 6 months so it’s good I’m not in a rush I’ll save a bit being patient.

Ive really been wanting to get a few more English AES games so I’ve been saving and watching the for sale section in the mean time.

If you buy an American system be sure to get an Action Replay 4 in 1 somewhere to go with it. Easiest way to go multi-region and also helps out with the Saturn's skimpy internal save space.

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
Saturn is worth owning and having a few in expensive titles, burn the rest or go the SD route.

Emulation in general beats Saturn but there are cool things about the system and some of the ports.