Is the sega Saturn overrated for shoot em ups?

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That’s funny you mention it’s a bad time to buy retro games. If America does fall into a recession there is a good possibility retro games will become significantly cheaper. It’s something I have been contemplating. Yet I continue to buy because it’s my own addiction which I think is much better then being addicted to opioids or cocaine because you can sell the games and get some of the money back later once you’ve used up the fun and new of a certain game.

one positive if there is any is the games getting cheaper-just trying to use my shitty essential job to have the cash for when that happens ha!

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The Battle Garegga port is better than the Arcade original. Also Batsugun, Terra Diver, Radiant Silvergun are the best shmups of their time. So Saturn is always underestimated compared to the Playstation, but never overestimated

Exactly! Saturn can not be over rated for shmups or in general

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I wouldn't say any sega console is overrated in any capacity. In my experience it’s only fagits on the internet like us who talk about shmups on these systems. In the real world everyone just talks about Nintendo garbage. NINTENDO IS OVERRATED!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Saturn overrated
Dreamcast underrated

Both superior to their counter consoles at the time.

Unlike genesis/ snes where SNES deserves the win it got.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The Saturn isn’t overrated in terms of shmups, but in this day and age going out and buying all of the original copies is a much less appealing option than it was in the past.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The Saturn isn’t overrated in terms of shmups, but in this day and age going out and buying all of the original copies is a much less appealing option than it was in the past.

This 100% on both points.

If we’re strictly talking about gameplay, there are so many alternatives available to new fans who simply want to check out the library and want to avoid the high collector-boosted prices.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I mean to each his own, but I'd say the following original titles are pretty solid:

Gates of Thunder
Lord of Thunder
Solider Blade
Final Solider
Air Zonk
Blazing Lazers

The system is a shmup machine, but honestly most aren't as good as the aforementioned.

[SUB](fuck Sapphire, most overrated piece of shit game ever)[/SUB]

R-TYPE
Hana taka daka
Saint Dragon
Kyokyuko Tiger
Tatsujin

Just to name a few. They were all crap when they got released... :keke:

There's a lot of fillers, but the PC Engine was godly on shmups.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
R-TYPE
Hana taka daka
Saint Dragon
Kyokyuko Tiger
Tatsujin

Those games are pretty good too but I was taking the original angle (non ports, sans Hana taka daka). I prefer the Genesis version of Tatsujin because it's not as balls on hard as the PC engine version. I like the graphics more on the PC engine version though.

Back on topic, I'm glad Terraonion stepped up to the plate and offered an alternative to the other bullshit going on with ODE. I'm still in no rush to get a Saturn though.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Those games are pretty good too but I was taking the original angle (non ports, sans Hana taka daka). I prefer the Genesis version of Tatsujin because it's not as balls on hard as the PC engine version. I like the graphics more on the PC engine version though.

Back on topic, I'm glad Terraonion stepped up to the plate and offered an alternative to the other bullshit going on with ODE. I'm still in no rush to get a Saturn though.

A modchipped saturn is one of the most cost effective retro gaming setups money can buy. So many great niche arcade titles and god tier shooters, great value. Plus, panzer dragoon saga just HAS to be experienced. As a person that generally HATES RPG’s, I love panzer dragoon saga. It’s just that good.

Slightly off topic, but I have to say... since i started playing my sengoku blade arcade PCB, the saturn gets less usage.. since that was pretty much my favorite and most frequented saturn game... people tend to overstate the perfectness of the saturn port of that game... it is missing a lot of stuff, like various sound FX & animation frames... arguably it also has poorer music and sample quality, and definitely worse/darker/oddly tinted color palette... they tried to make up for the missing features by adding voice acting and making koyori’s titties jiggle in the saturn port lol That psikyo first generation PCB is a 2D monster!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
people tend to overstate the perfectness of the saturn port of that game... it is missing a lot of stuff, like various sound FX & animation frames... arguably it also has poorer music and sample quality, and definitely worse/darker/oddly tinted color palette... they tried to make up for the missing features by adding voice acting and making koyori’s titties jiggle in the saturn port lol That psikyo first generation PCB is a 2D monster!

It looks like you've been posting a bunch of dumb comments about video games lately.

I never believed in people giving you such a hard time back when you were just some weird lonely hippie that didn't know how to conduct himself online.

"People tend to overstate the perfectness".

It's been established in other threads as far as what qualifies as "arcade perfect". A mid 90's 32-bit arcade port is probably going to have different color/sound then the pcb. This doesn't render the port as fundamentally imperfect when it comes to the core of the game. You talk about this port it as if it's a port of fighting game that ends up looking like a flip-book with all of these missing frames.

What are these alleged animation frames that are missing in the saturn port? I bet you can't even get past 1-4.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
It looks like you've been posting a bunch of dumb comments about video games lately.

I never believed in people giving you such a hard time back when you were just some weird lonely hippie that didn't know how to conduct himself online.

"People tend to overstate the perfectness".

It's been established in other threads as far as what qualifies as "arcade perfect". A mid 90's 32-bit arcade port is probably going to have different color/sound then the pcb. This doesn't render the port as fundamentally imperfect when it comes to the core of the game. You talk about this port it as if it's a port of fighting game that ends up looking like a flip-book with all of these missing frames.

What are these alleged animation frames that are missing in the saturn port? I bet you can't even get past 1-4.

All the explosions are missing frames in the saturn, thats the most noticable thing. Many of the larger robotic enemies feature sounds as they move around in the arcade version, like hydraulic effects and things like that. None of that in the saturn. I can make it nearly to the end of the game on the arcade PCB, but only in easy mode. This is a fucking difficult shooter. Let’s not even talk about the second loop lol. Overall the saturn port feels less robust and the color palette is dull in comparison to the vivid arcade. Oh and when you collect powerups in the arcade and charge your attack, several of the characters have different sounds that play upon having a fully charged attack. In the saturn, all characters use the same charge sound. Also pretty much all the voice samples in the saturn version are completely different and in my opinion worse.

Sengoku Blade’s difficulty is partly what makes it awesome. Lots of replay value. It’ll take me awhile to master this game. My supergun has saturn controller ports, so it feels like playing an unreleased english sengoku blade (tengai) on saturn with all the missing stuff intact.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
All the explosions are missing frames in the saturn, thats the most noticable thing. Many of the larger robotic enemies feature sounds as they move around in the arcade version, like hydraulic effects and things like that. None of that in the saturn. I can make it nearly to the end of the game on the arcade PCB, but only in easy mode. This is a fucking difficult shooter. Let’s not even talk about the second loop lol. Overall the saturn port feels less robust and the color palette is dull in comparison to the vivid arcade. Oh and when you collect powerups in the arcade and charge your attack, several of the characters have different sounds that play upon having a fully charged attack. In the saturn, all characters use the same charge sound. Also pretty much all the voice samples in the saturn version are completely different and in my opinion worse.

Sengoku Blade’s difficulty is partly what makes it awesome. Lots of replay value. It’ll take me awhile to master this game. My supergun has saturn controller ports, so it feels like playing an unreleased english sengoku blade (tengai) on saturn with all the missing stuff intact.

Thanks for laying out these details. IMO there really is no such thing as a detail too "trivial". I'm just inclined to address your recurring message of "people tend to overstate the perfectness" because it reads as if saturn Sengoku Blade is some busted half-assed incarnation of the arcade game that people parade around like a miracle of accurate arcade game ports. It isn't busted, and it isn't championed like some sort of marvel. When it comes to changes in details among accurate arcade ports, well, these differences are common and not unique to Sengoku Blade.

Perhaps many people don't touch upon the differences you've highlighted because these differences don't fundamentally prevent this port from meeting the criteria of an accurate arcade port. Now, I understand that accurate and perfect are sometimes used interchangeably and perhaps they shouldn't be, but when this game gets called "arcade perfect" it's in regards to...like it or not... the stuff that "matters".

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
A modchipped saturn is one of the most cost effective retro gaming setups money can buy.

Yeah, had that and a ton of burns and sold it for next to nothing. The modchip is super easy to install and I have less than beginner skills when it comes to that stuff.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
It’s absolutely one of the best platforms for shmups alongside the PC Engine.

:up:
This

The Xbox 360 has it’s fair share too, but for the old skool flavor it’s tough to top the Saturn and PC Engine library.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Saturn sure wasn't overrated back when everyone was on the ps1 bandwagon. Now the people that missed out talk it up cause it's new to them. Not sure how that makes it overrated. I feel it's all subjective anyways. Regardless what people think I'll always love the saturn.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Saturn sure wasn't overrated back when everyone was on the ps1 bandwagon. Now the people that missed out talk it up cause it's new to them. Not sure how that makes it overrated. I feel it's all subjective anyways. Regardless what people think I'll always love the saturn.

I think the question more focused on is it "overrated for shmups" not "overrated overall". Because overall I still think it's a shit system.