Is Photography an "Art"?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm sure that there are artists who like to shoot on 110 just like there are artists who like to shoot stuff in 8mm.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Art photography does exist. I suggest you take a look at Jeff Wall, Sebasti縊 Salgado, Andreas Gursky, Anselm Adams and Vik Muniz.
I've got a degree in painting. I studied photography, both developing my own films in a lab and having my digital images developed for me, some of which were displayed on a local contemporary art museum.
Photography can be art, but it isn't as prized as paintings or some other art forms.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cameras can be used to create art but photography is not art per se. For example, a crime scene photographer is not expected to do an artsy-fartsy photo session but to record all details on the scene of crime in the best way possible for later reference.

Examples for photography as an art would be the cover shots of classic Blue Note jazz records or the works of Man Ray.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Cameras can be used to create art but photography is not art per se. For example, a crime scene photographer is not expected to do an artsy-fartsy photo session but to record all details on the scene of crime in the best way possible for later reference.

Well, yeah, but you could say the same thing about a paint brush. A house painter is not expected to paint a great portrait, he just happens to use the same basic tools and supplies as someone who does.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, yeah, but you could say the same thing about a paint brush. A house painter is not expected to paint a great portrait, he just happens to use the same basic tools and supplies as someone who does.

Yes, and that is because it's not about the tools but the person using them and his artistic intentions.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Shot taken in my garden this past Thursday using an S7 Edge.

With whatever default settings this thing has. Just point and press. No editing whatsoever.

2nujdpf.jpg