Is Photography an "Art"?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Asking opinions.

I was talking with a girl at work today and we couldn't decide. I know it's considered an art, but I really don't get it. I don't feel like it takes much skill, other than learning the camera to get unique shots.

I guess I could understand if you are setting up the photo, trying to convey some meaning by setting up a scene or something.

FYI - I like photography. I just picked up a Pentax K1000 35mm film camera and plan to get some pictures on a road trip to Niagra Falls tomorrow. So I don't feel I am bias in any way regarding whether photography is, or is not an art form.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
My ex would say it's an art. In fact, if you ask her, she'd probably say "is digital photography an art?"

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Asking opinions.

I was talking with a girl at work today and we couldn't decide. I know it's considered an art, but I really don't get it. I don't feel like it takes much skill, other than learning the camera to get unique shots.

I guess I could understand if you are setting up the photo, trying to convey some meaning by setting up a scene or something.

FYI - I like photography. I just picked up a Pentax K1000 35mm film camera and plan to get some pictures on a road trip to Niagra Falls tomorrow. So I don't feel I am bias in any way regarding whether photography is, or is not an art form.

Uh, you kinda answered your own question there. There's not a lot of skill taking shitty family/travel photos, but actually conceptualizing an idea and creating it through photography is completely different.

My professors spent years on their projects. one of them just had a show at her current university.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Asking opinions.

Why wouldn't it be an artform? Taking quality pictues isn't exactly something everyone can do.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Well you still have to setup the shot like you mentioned, unlike painting your subject has to exist, and you have to choose the lens, the distance, aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed (and digital vs. film (and type)) to go for the right shot with the right lighting.

Your choice of subject is also important.

Check out Ansel Adams:
220px-Ansel_Adams_-_National_Archives_79-AA-Q01_restored.jpg
9d47d60c9d77c78c6be9c7652648cf0a.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I would say so but 'photography' is a broad term. Whether a photograph is considered art is another thing however, I would consider a photo of some excellent nature 'art' if taken properly.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Well you still have to setup the shot like you mentioned, unlike painting your subject has to exist, and you have to choose the lens, the distance, aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed (and digital vs. film (and type)) to go for the right shot with the right lighting.

Your choice of subject is also important.

Check out Ansel Adams:
View attachment 41682
View attachment 41683

Pretty interesting, but I prefer the works of Jason Kenney myself:

vGGWcVM.png

OQ0KbcB.png

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Every 20 something girl with a camera is a photographer. Photography to me doesn't become an art until you ascend to the level that the national geographic dudes are at. When you're fine with sitting in the snow for a month, just to get a shot of a polar bear giving birth, then yeah you're giving it up for your craft, and to me could be artistic. But if you're taking pictures of stars and puppies and your collection of empty beer bottles. You're not an artist, you're an idiot with a Nikon.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Not only is it an art, but the editing of photos can also be an art...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I can tell it's an art because I'm shit at it.

I can see why there is confusion though. Not many people sit down to do a painting nowadays just to record an image, which they do with photography - but they would have done in the past (for instance the incredibly accurate drawings in old botany books etc). One is to capture the image, the other is to capture something beyond just the visible facts.

So there are photos for art and photos for documentation, whereas drawings/paintings seem like they're automatically art now, but they weren't always for that purpose and probably still aren't even now in many circumstances that I can't think of right away in this garbled response.

It gets even more complicated though as sometimes taking a photograph just to document an event can become so striking and significant that it becomes art. Like this London riots photo taken by a passer by:

London-riots-day-3--009.jpg

Anyway, there is no qualification for this other than my own brief, shallow thoughts.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
of course it's art. maybe you have to ask yourself what art is to properly answer your question.
I love the Pentax K1000 by the way.

asking this question when we have the 20th century behind us is a bit silly no? I mean, Duchamp amongst the many. dadaism, abstraction amongst the suprematists and later abstract expressionists, collage in cubism's use of non conventional materials, arte povera, pop art's ready mades, conceptual art, etc. etc. etc.
have you ever asked yourself what is music? because amongst the most experimental styles you have very strange things going on. it's the same thing.
photography as an artistic discipline has brought about street photography for instance - whereby the capture of an image implies a mode of conduct and technique which to me isn't that different from what plein air painters used to do.
beyond this and the fact that photography was a principle artistic medium in the past century, art is just a word that is used to define something which results from expressive procedure.
art is context and managing the variables to achieve an expressive result.

all this said, by and large I don't like much of what photography proposes and the place it occupies today - but then art today is greatly a shitfest. it's just a disgusting stock market full of bullshit and money.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
go see a professional's gallery, and you will know it is actually art.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Yes, it is an art, but in the same way that poker is a sport, Scientology is a religion, and Nickelback is talented.