Is Photography an "Art"?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yes, it is an art, but in the same way that poker is a sport, Scientology is a religion, and Nickelback is talented.

The latter two can be ejected into the sun at any time, applause required.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Could the digital photo be seen as art? Sure. Would you call the person a talented artist? Probably not. You'd most likely refer to then as a talented photographer.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Yes, it is an art, but in the same way that poker is a sport, Scientology is a religion, and Nickelback is talented.

Or like when your math teacher in college wants you to call them "Doctor" because they wrote some cool study on numbers. Lol

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Could the digital photo be seen as art? Sure. Would you call the person a talented artist? Probably not. You'd most likely refer to then as a talented photographer.

was Hendrix an artist or a musician?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
was Hendrix an artist or a musician?

I'd say the artist writes their own music and songs, while the musician plays what someone else writes. So, you tell me. I like Hendrix, but don't know if he falls under one or both. Just like an artist makes the picture happen but a photographer just knows how to use their instrument to capture what's already there.

But fuck, i don't know, lol. I'm just making this shit up. It sounds reasonable to me though. Someday meme's might be considered art, lol.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'd say the artist writes their own music and songs, while the musician plays what someone else writes. So, you tell me. I like Hendrix, but don't know if he falls under one or both. Just like an artist makes the picture happen but a photographer just knows how to use their instrument to capture what's already there.

yeah.. I guess I can see what you mean in terms of how you perceive it.
I think in the case of people who do things that are not within the field of art - a cook for example - the word 'art' or 'artist' is mostly a sort of compliment or an insightful appreciation of a work method.
a person describing their work as art and themselves as artists - people who contribute to the field of plastic arts - in my opinion, should be deemed artists - but purely as a means of describing what they do, something that has no semblance of being a value statement. does that make sense?
if it is art worthy of any mention is another issue. but art can be anything if the artist is engaged with his/her activity with a mind to create art. sorry if all of this sounds too flowery

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It kind of goes back to Dadaism in that it doesn't take skill really to do it. It's more luck and being in the right place at the right time. Staged photos and knowing lighting, etc. does take some knowledge and skill to get it just right.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It kind of goes back to Dadaism in that it doesn't take skill really to do it. It's more luck and being in the right place at the right time. Staged photos and knowing lighting, etc. does take some knowledge and skill to get it just right.

Jesus, shut up about Dadaism already

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Anyone who thinks that photography is "easy" has never really tried to be good at it. And anyone who thinks that it's just about being "in the right place at the right time" is a fucking moron.

Completely off-topic but in response to NGT's post, the term "doctor" was co-opted by physicians because at one point their profession was held in low regard (as it was practiced by barbers). The word comes from latin, means "teacher", and has fuck-all to do with medicine. Anyone with a "doctorate" degree is a "doctor" (yes, even uiengineer).

Edit: In fact, I would argue that since an MD does not involve any original research, it is a bullshit doctorate degree. I don't know what getting a JD involves so I can't comment. But just to get back on topic, GregN is a moron and OP should go back to sucking at Ghost Pilots.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Anyone who thinks that photography is "easy" has never really tried to be good at it. And anyone who thinks that it's just about being "in the right place at the right time" is a fucking moron.

Completely off-topic but in response to NGT's post, the term "doctor" was co-opted by physicians because at one point their profession was held in low regard (as it was practiced by barbers). The word comes from latin, means "teacher", and has fuck-all to do with medicine. Anyone with a "doctorate" degree is a "doctor" (yes, even uiengineer).

Edit: In fact, I would argue that since an MD does not involve any original research, it is a bullshit doctorate degree. I don't know what getting a JD involves so I can't comment. But just to get back on topic, GregN is a moron and OP should go back to sucking at Ghost Pilots.

Well, that's great and all, but that's not how it's generally used today. Word origin and word use don't always coincide. Technically, you're right, but I go see a Dr. when I'm sick, not when i need help with Math. It sounds stupid, even if the more educated person would do so and be correct.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
LOL. That's some Forensic Files shit.

Wheres this account?

Most of my photographs are just random trees and foliage. Those two photos were just mistakes, and might even not be legal for them to be posted anywhere.

This OTOH took a few tries to get right:
might_be_art.jpg

Its a reflection of the skyline on the Charles, with me fiddling with camera settings. Just an example of the crazy shit you can do with a DSLR camera.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
yeah.. I guess I can see what you mean in terms of how you perceive it.
I think in the case of people who do things that are not within the field of art - a cook for example - the word 'art' or 'artist' is mostly a sort of compliment or an insightful appreciation of a work method.
a person describing their work as art and themselves as artists - people who contribute to the field of plastic arts - in my opinion, should be deemed artists - but purely as a means of describing what they do, something that has no semblance of being a value statement. does that make sense?
if it is art worthy of any mention is another issue. but art can be anything if the artist is engaged with his/her activity with a mind to create art. sorry if all of this sounds too flowery

I get what at you're saying and can agree with your last statement. Not the flowery one, lol, but the one before it.

My buddy's wife is an executive chef at a winery out in Napa and would stab me in the face of i told her she wasn't an artist. She does alter dishes to make something new and they're amazing. I would say that's different from someone who only makes the exact same thing perfectly everytime, and they didn't create the original dish.

There was a guy in Venice, that did a charcoal drawing for my parents in 1976. We went as a family in 96, and he was on the same corner. We got the same picture dated 20 years later. They went back last year and i asked them to get a 2016 one, but he was gone. He made the same picture for years, never creating anything new. Was he an artist? Or a vender?

Yeah, i know, I'm just rambling now, lol

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Most of my photographs are just random trees and foliage. Those two photos were just mistakes, and might even not be legal for them to be posted anywhere.

View attachment 41698

Its a reflection of the skyline on the Charles, with me fiddling with camera settings. Just an example of the crazy shit you can do with a DSLR camera.

This garbage took you a few tries? Fiddling with camera settings?

This would be like a shot I accidentally snapped as I was lowering my camera from my eye and accidentally hit the shutter button.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

View attachment 41698

Honest question: What's it like to have a complete lack of self-awareness? I would think that it would be quite liberating.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Thread makes me wonder about what all you anti art people think of jazz. Is music instantly inferior if it's not written down? Is simply playing what your gut is telling you not art? Or if you listen to some of the stuff ornette Coleman was putting together in the 60s and 70s is it not music to have four players, on different instruments, play different songs, but still find a groove? Or is jazz, and in that same vein jam band rock, just a self indulgent waste of time? Musical masturbation if you will.

Art is relative, it ebbs and flows, dance, theater, painting, writing, photography, music. Who is an artist to judge other arms of the tree they've been sleeping in the boughs of?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Thread makes me wonder about what all you anti art people think of jazz. Is music instantly inferior if it's not written down? Is simply playing what your gut is telling you not art? Or if you listen to some of the stuff ornette Coleman was putting together in the 60s and 70s is it not music to have four players, on different instruments, play different songs, but still find a groove? Or is jazz, and in that same vein jam band rock, just a self indulgent waste of time? Musical masturbation if you will.

Art is relative, it ebbs and flows, dance, theater, painting, writing, photography, music. Who is an artist to judge other arms of the tree they've been sleeping in the boughs of?

I listened to a radio programme with a black musician who wouldn't use the term jazz because it had been stolen by white people right from the outset or something. I have to admit I lost interest, it seemed to me that what it was called should be a low priority when making music.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
This garbage took you a few tries? Fiddling with camera settings?

This would be like a shot I accidentally snapped as I was lowering my camera from my eye and accidentally hit the shutter button.

Then do it. That shot was taken at night, no flash, no tripod.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Honest question: What's it like to have a complete lack of self-awareness? I would think that it would be quite liberating.

More like walking in a pitch black room with a lot of furniture. Its "liberating" in the sense that you just accept the fact that you're going to be walking into shit.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
and might even not be legal for them to be posted anywhere.

Yes they are you little bitch. If I actually cared to fuck with you I'd put them in my sig with your name, lucky for you I don't.

Jesus christ...someone oughtta crowbar you in the fucking skull one night. Cry to the FBI about it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Then do it. That shot was taken at night, no flash, no tripod.

I'm telling you that shot wasn't special, sorry! :lolz:

I know that was taken without flash, otherwise the water would have been lit by it. As for no tripod, big whoop. I have a camera with in-body stabilization that gets me up to 5 stops beyond what you could hand hold without (Olympus OM-D EM-1).

You're a Canon owner, right? I'm sure you own at least one IS lens that could at least get you 2-3 stops of extra stabilization? Tripods are only necessary for extremely long focal lengths nowadays as our tech gets better and better.

Even so, if it had a little camera shake it wouldn't be a big deal with the abstract nature of the shot anyways.

Fly me out there and I'll school you.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I'm telling you that shot wasn't special, sorry! :lolz:

I know that was taken without flash, otherwise the water would have been lit by it. As for no tripod, big whoop. I have a camera with in-body stabilization that gets me up to 5 stops beyond what you could hand hold without (Olympus OM-D EM-1).

You're a Canon owner, right? I'm sure you own at least one IS lens that could at least get you 2-3 stops of extra stabilization? Tripods are only necessary for extremely long focal lengths nowadays as our tech gets better and better.

Even so, if it had a little camera shake it wouldn't be a big deal with the abstract nature of the shot anyways.

Fly me out there and I'll school you.

I just posted it as an example of weird strange shit you can do when you play with the shutter speed and aperture size. You CAN just take an exact shot of something with a camera.
But like any other medium true artists (not me) can do amazing crazy shit with it.

And, yeah its got some IS, but not enough to get rid of blurriness. I need a tripod to take any long exposure shot. But, what I have is perfectly good for pictures of trees, and mountaintops, with the occasional "abstract" one tossed in.