Is Neo Geo a drug?

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
In the 90s I referred to my AES collecting as my "crack habit" and I meant it, buying new AES releases like Last Blade for $325 at launch when I hadn't even played it in an arcade yet. Thats the power of a drug, a strong drug. I didn't know anyone that collected back then (just my dealers) so describing to friends the AES cart Smell or the feel of the giant vinyl box was like legitimizing drug use to friends and family as they just stared back at you blankly.
"My Precious!!"

Edit- My current MVS collecting isn't much better since the Cabinet cost me more than my $100 AES console. Still a junkie

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
There is nothing quite like the hunt. Researching a game that you haven't played before, watching videos, playing the ROMs before tracking a real copy down, making a deal and tracking that USPS number like a hawk.

It's addictive. I have problems staying away when I see a good deal. I'm trying to cut back and play the games I have.

LewiesFat

n00b
Guys i took your advice and injected neo geos into my vein. just loosened the jamma ribbon around my arm. i feel all warm and fuzzy, like i did when i played mslug at lapost pizza as a kid.:-J

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
I would say its like a drug with AES for the sole fact that if you sell your carts and any of them are rare, there is a good chance you won't get them back or at three times the cost when you can afford to go back. The thought of not being able to play some of these classics in it's truest form is enough to never get out. Really gut wrenching stuff lol.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
There is nothing quite like the hunt. Researching a game that you haven't played before, watching videos, playing the ROMs before tracking a real copy down, making a deal and tracking that USPS number like a hawk.

Agreed. Good feelings.

Then of course it sucks to hunt years on end. And when you find a copy, it's at a ridiculous price.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I would say its like a drug with AES for the sole fact that if you sell your carts and any of them are rare, there is a good chance you won't get them back or at three times the cost when you can afford to go back. The thought of not being able to play some of these classics in it's truest form is enough to never get out. Really gut wrenching stuff lol.

The truest form is an MVS cart.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The truest form is an MVS cart.

Yes, but you'd have to play them in a cab and in an arcade then. Having a cab at home is taking the thing out of it's original context, which is always an important part of the form, same goes for all those consolized mutants. Therefore the truest form, if there is any, to play the Neo at home is no doubt AES. This is indeed an arguable perspective to look at this issue, nevertheless a very argumentative one.

And by the way, just for the laughs... the truest form to score on a Neo in a hotel room is, of course, SNKs own Big Bertha, the Hotel Unit ;).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the year is 2015. the truest form is dead.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
the year is 2015. the truest form is dead.

It was dead in the nineties, right now it surpassed helly, movies and it's right to remain silent. Overpopulated by hipsters, price inflation and the occasional drama around it, one simply can't miss the fact: VGs are the new panacea for the masses, along there with alc & fags... and it's just a matter of time, till VR takes over everything in the highest grossing of all corporate entertainment and... like it or not, the so called "retro" is part of it, as well.

Alas, paradoxically, all these facts lead me to the conclusion that you're right after all...

Kou

Banned
Funny thing: My Neo Geo love was down to 0,5% coz of DRAMA everywhere. I restarted in 2014 because of my friends/"junkies".

I played rather KOF 98 with my crazy Fighting Game homies. No NG was needed for that :P

This year i visited japan and bought Neo Geo games there.. was an awesome feeling but with a smelly aftertaste: You know you DID something wrong. :P
Since last year my love is unrecoverable lol

NG nowalike is like fishing for gold in a huge sea of diarrhoe:rolleyes:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
This year i visited japan and bought Neo Geo games there.. was an awesome feeling but with a smelly aftertaste: You know you DID something wrong. :P

can´t see anything wrong there. Why did you have a bad feeling ? Because of the customs ? ;)

Kou

Banned
I love the costums! especially the branch in munich :very_ang:
Not, not because of the boots.. because of the ebay prices :D
I must admit, my most expensive game was KOF 2002 (A-too 24000yen) which was a "ok'ish deal, i think.
Every game was in very good shape and so but.. Mutation Nation (for example) was as high as on ebay. Meh!
But buying the stuff in it's motherland was a great feeling, though.

Eastrouk

n00b
Everyone smells the cartridges and the boxes and the manuals - it's got to be done!!!!!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I know the feeling. Last month I was considering selling my entire AES collection and just sticking with the MVS. This week I've just bought a new AES game.