Is it sad that I'm envious of my brother's carpal tunnel surgery?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
smoke the shit you post adds to why I am hesitant to come back to America. Admittedly China is a fucking garbagefire in regards to human rights but with a VPN it helps a bit.

I would stay in China if I were you. Shits only going to get worse. At least in China during the last decade it feels like they been making significant social progress. Here, it's been a race to the bottom for what it feels like the start of my working years, which was a few years before the crash.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Most of us in the forum i assume are in our 40s, so i dont think you can just easily change jobs. This is the time when you're supposed to be earning, saving, & working the most. When you hit your 50s, that's when things should be cheaper. House should already be paid off, your debts all paid, kids out of the house, so all that savings goes to your retirement.

From what i read by your mid 50s you should have 7x your annual earning. So if you're making 100k a year, you should have $700k in your savings by 55. 10x when you retire at 65, which would be 1million which really isn't that much.

i really dont see how people in my age group is nonchalant and not worried about retirement. Do you think 401k/IRA & Social Security is going to be enough? Do you want to be working in your late 60s at Walmart, fuck that noise. That's why i dont care about days off, if i can work and earn money im going to keep doing it if im able.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I really don't want to say where he works...so let's just say it's a large company that handles job injuries well. He's been there since 2001 and the damage to his hands was definitely a result of his job (they verified this through tests and exams). They're covering the surgery, they're covering all of his time off paid in full. I won't say I always feel his company is the best, but they do take care of their employees with injuries.

Again...I feel this is a massive failure in my trade. A mass time lost injury can and will financially ruin some tradesmen. Yeah, you can get disability...eventually...but it is far from 100% wage/package coverage.

A union brother had to have his hip replaced (prior injury from his 20's, not work related) and it nearly bankrupted him. He was off for 6 months and like I said before, after 30 days it's goodbye health insurance and hello COBRA...which is insane expensive (way over $1K/mo for us). No job + no wages + no insurance + no way to pay for COBRA = one BAD situation.

I keep saying it, but in our trade, if you miss 4 weeks of work in a 12 month period, you lose your insurance for 30 days after that...

One of my brothers in Law was laid off for 6 months (Non-Union, Commercial Power, Journeyman). He did all right as he just took a bunch of general construction jobs under the table. Plus he had his savings.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I lived in America, I will say I always chose to have my paid time off (money you'd get paid for while taking a vacation) turn into actual money for my paycheck instead of taking a vacation.

I use about two weeks a year of vacation to devote time to my side hustles. Make more money that way.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
i really dont see how people in my age group is nonchalant and not worried about retirement. Do you think 401k/IRA & Social Security is going to be enough? .

Generation X can live off of it.

Boomers and Millennials can't.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
But I mean that’s what kids are for - to take care of us when we are old feeble and poor. Why else would anyone have kids?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I thought it had something to do with wanting to punish yourself.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Two months a year, three day weekends for life.

But the rest of the time, I'm working. I'm at work right now. It's ghastly.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Most of us in the forum i assume are in our 40s, so i dont think you can just easily change jobs. This is the time when you're supposed to be earning, saving, & working the most. When you hit your 50s, that's when things should be cheaper. House should already be paid off, your debts all paid, kids out of the house, so all that savings goes to your retirement.

From what i read by your mid 50s you should have 7x your annual earning. So if you're making 100k a year, you should have $700k in your savings by 55. 10x when you retire at 65, which would be 1million which really isn't that much.

i really dont see how people in my age group is nonchalant and not worried about retirement. Do you think 401k/IRA & Social Security is going to be enough? Do you want to be working in your late 60s at Walmart, fuck that noise. That's why i dont care about days off, if i can work and earn money im going to keep doing it if im able.

join the FIRE movement. retire early if you hit it hard now.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

Perhaps the people in your age group who appear nonchalant didn't fuck up their 20s like you did.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
join the FIRE movement. retire early if you hit it hard now.

Fire my ass. I see kids in their early 20s talking about how they want to retire by 32 :lolz: Good luck with that.

Even if you’ve done extremely well, no way you should retire before 50. Too much can change and go wrong if you pull the pin too early.

I agree mostly with HDR. I know a lot of people in my industry working hard in their 40s, still paying rent, hardly any savings. They’re pretty much fucked. Glad I’m not in their shoes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
With 30 years of stagnant wages but everything else increasing in cost (my parents starter home they bought in '85 or '86 cost around $30,000 but just sold for a little under $200,000 about a year ago), I think it's about time we stop stigmatizing people who live at home with their folks. It's common in most other countries already. The fact that a significant percentage of Americans only have a thousand dollars in their checking account is insane.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
With 30 years of stagnant wages but everything else increasing in cost (my parents starter home they bought in '85 or '86 cost around $30,000 but just sold for a little under $200,000 about a year ago), I think it's about time we stop stigmatizing people who live at home with their folks. It's common in most other countries already. The fact that a significant percentage of Americans only have a thousand dollars in their checking account is insane.

As a parent, who in the nicest possible way can't wait for his kids to fuck off, fuck that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

GTFO with this commie garbage

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
How am I supposed to have super loud fucked up sex living at home with my parents? Get shitty wasted and blare terrible music? Fuck that, at the very least move out of mom's house and live with some of your degenerate friends.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
How am I supposed to have super loud fucked up sex living at home with my parents? Get shitty wasted and blare terrible music? Fuck that, at the very least move out of mom's house and live with some of your degenerate friends.

gag your mouth when you jerk off