Is it even possible to get back into the 'scene'?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Is it like the rest of the retro video game scene which has gone absolutely insane? (Deciding something with millions of copies is all of a sudden rare?)

I had this same thought. It's just dumb.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've gone through my final purge of games that I don't play and primarily use MVS nowadays. However, I wouldn't sell my home system unless the shit hits the fan.

Games like Samurai Shodown 1 & 2 keep that system in my lineup. I would even take a gamer copy of Windjammers for the homecart system if it didn't involve getting slammed on price.

Just wanted to add my advice.

Back in the spring of 2005, I bought my last MVS cart. One year earlier, I had purchased my last AES cart. At that point, I asked myself, "Am I really going to play all of these games long-term?" I proceeded to sell all but one of my AES carts; I would gradually do the same with my MVS and Neo-Geo Pocket games over the next few years. Since then, I have paired down my collection to only a handful of MVS carts, asking myself the same question every time I look it over.

To this day, I haven't looked back at the scene (although when I sold my friend's MVS collection two years ago, I briefly considered un-retiring from Neo-Geo collecting; good thing I still haven't come back, considering the prices of once-common carts). In summation, keep only the carts you'd be willing to play on a regular basis, leave the "minty-fresh games" for the collector crowd.
(Also, I can't verify how well multi-game carts work, but I've never been a fan of bootlegged merchandise.)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
(Also, I can't verify how well multi-game carts work, but I've never been a fan of bootlegged merchandise.)

I played a multicart for the first time on a big red I saw in the wild recently. As far as I could tell from playing the couple of games I did, it ran as if a normal cart would. Still, its not really for me.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Firstly, really annoying to see every 3rd post recommending multi-carts when OP has already explained he's not interested - read the thread before replying. :angry:

I do agree that the 'coming of age' of young Neo Geo fans is a factor in the current state of the market, but I don't think it's the main one. I have very broad interests in retro gaming and retro computing, have had for a very long time (probably longer than anyone here) and I've seen this right across the board in the different 'scenes' at various stages throughout the years. My conclusion - people have realised that there's money to be made in the retro gaming/computing market. It's the same reason that it's getting harder and harder to find retro consoles/computers in garage sales, thrift shops and council clean-ups. It's obvious that pawn shops use eBay to set the prices on their retro stock now.

It's not supply and demand any more, it's about greedy sellers constantly pushing the boundaries of what the market can bear, resulting in continually rising prices. Some of the more expensive N64 cartridges, for example, also happen to be some of the most commonly produced! Someone sets the benchmark, and others immediately follow, and all of a sudden, the cart you could buy for $30 last year, is $60 this year, and no less abundant on eBay!

Retro computers, as a prime example, have gone through the roof recently and continue to do so. Several years ago you couldn't give away a retro microcomputer; in fact most of my collection are freebies! Now you'll pay $100 for a C64 - the most numerous non-PC computer ever produced!!! Apple II's - $350+. TRS-80's - $500+. It's frustrating, it's stupid, but there's nothing that can be done about it. Trading in retro computers is big business.

Back to the original question at hand. The common Neo Geo carts in average condition appear to still be at bargain basement prices. I recently picked up some CIB AES and NGCD titles in excellent condition very cheaply. However the more sought-after titles are so beyond my budget it's not funny. But then again, if I had every title I coveted, I'd probably lose interest! So it depends on which titles you want, and whether you're happy to forever chase those last few titles to round out your collection!

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Firstly, really annoying to see every 3rd post recommending multi-carts when OP has already explained he's not interested - read the thread before replying. :angry:

Back to the original question at hand. The common Neo Geo carts in average condition appear to still be at bargain basement prices. I recently picked up some CIB AES and NGCD titles in excellent condition very cheaply. However the more sought-after titles are so beyond my budget it's not funny. But then again, if I had every title I coveted, I'd probably lose interest! So it depends on which titles you want, and whether you're happy to forever chase those last few titles to round out your collection!

Thanks for this since no one actually read the OP - he wants mint carts. Almost across the board, there has been a significant decrease in mint copies of games for almost all systems. If you don't care about condition, the selection and prices are much more reasonable. If you do care, good luck - if you find something in the condition you want, you'll be paying for it.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
OP's question: Is it even possible to get back into the scene?

As Bar-81 and tcdev already stated, it will cost you time and money. This will sound like obvious advise, but most people seem to ignore it.

Time-wise, you will need to find and deal with reputable sellers that are willing to let go of their home carts. Due to the conversion market and overblown Euro price gougers, finding carts on the cheap is a hard feat nowadays. Even if money is not a question, it'll still take time to find a pristine cart.

Like any collection, some items are easier to come by as long as you have a goal set. While you were able to get multiple games in the past for the price of one now, you should focus on games you really want. The ones in the "nice to have, but not necessary" category can take a back seat for now.

Seller's guilt has been hitting this scene hard.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
Thanks folks. I realize that my standards for condition may have to adjust with the times (to a point.) Mostly, there are so many nasty MVS carts out there, they're off-putting to me. Can't explain it, I've just always been picky about condition. Being OCD & ADD, there's little I can do about it. ;)

That said, the carts don't have to be new or absolutely pristine. Just original, and aesthetically appealing. Original labels that don't look like they were used as sandpaper or chewed on by the dog. Mini marquees that aren't scratched to hell or yellowed like so many bad teeth. Just stuff that looks very nice.

I've been a gamer since 1979 and a collector since 1995, though I've sold parts of my collection numerous times for various reasons. I'm familiar with supply & demand, patience, and even the possibility of riding out the 'fad' of collecting retro games and the crazy prices associated with them. Several posters here have hit various truths right on the head. YouTube and eBay have absolutely destroyed the market for collecting video games, and it's sad. I actually blame both equally, but feel that YouTube has accelerated the process with all of the 'know it alls' there. Ebay was around 4 years ago, and that didn't make things more expensive; thrift stores could easily have checked eBay for prices, etc. They didn't, and probably because no one told them to. YouTube has made everyone an expert, and unfortunately, we're all paying for it - literally. If I walk into a game store and see common games for less than $25, I'm shocked. Super Mario Bros. World for the SNES (as an example) is a very common cart, and so is Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt for the NES. Millions of them out there, and you could practically get them for free when you bought a used system somewhere. Now they're $15-$25 all day, because people are of the belief that they're rare or so in demand that the market actually dictates that price. Thing is, if the market actually dictated that price, they wouldn't be sitting 10 deep on the shelf at your local brick & mortar store.

Anyway, rant over - patience and the hunt have always been part of the joy of collecting. However, there are fewer places to hunt, and for the Neo, you can almost forget it. We've always relied on the forums, eBay and the like (probably in that order.) However, either the games are available or they're not. This is why I started the post to begin with. Are there games that are almost impossible to get these days? Is everything so expensive for certain titles, and if so, what are they?

I wish I didn't sell my MVS collection, but as you can see from my feedback score, there were some very happy people who gave them good homes.

So, advice taken. I have a very refined list of titles that I would want to add to my collection. This isn't Pokémon - I don't have to have them all. First thing first - I need to find a cosmetically nice AES system with all the trimmings, that is either modded for video/bios/etc., or can be.

Thanks,
Orri~

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The best time for the scene was pre-2004, when you could get lots of games cheap off Yahoo Japan, or hit up raven games or game dude for shits and giggles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Plus 2000-2004 was a gold mine for MVS stuff as arcades were ditching old carts and not a lot of home users were into it yet.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Plus 2000-2004 was a gold mine for MVS stuff as arcades were ditching old carts and not a lot of home users were into it yet.

I wish I had gotten into it at that point. Back in 2000/2001 I was all about the roms haha. Still, when I formerly joined here and got my first cab and carts in 2007, it was not a bad time at all, with Yaton carts a plenty- the kind that arrived dirty, but after a really thorough cleaning were not really bad at all.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I wish I had gotten into it at that point. Back in 2000/2001 I was all about the roms haha. Still, when I formerly joined here and got my first cab and carts in 2007, it was not a bad time at all, with Yaton carts a plenty- the kind that arrived dirty, but after a really thorough cleaning were not really bad at all.

Same here. Playing Mame and NeoRageX back around the early 2000's is pretty much what sparked my curiosity to learn more about the Neo. Before Neo Emulation the only way I could have actually played Neo Games was at a arcade or what ever location had a Big Red.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Bought them back in 2009 or so when people were liquidating their collections to save their home mortgages.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Same here. Playing Mame and NeoRageX back around the early 2000's is pretty much what sparked my curiosity to learn more about the Neo. Before Neo Emulation the only way I could have actually played Neo Games was at a arcade or what ever location had a Big Red.
Yeah. Not too dissimilar to what grabbed me.

A combination of early PS1 title releases, then imports for Saturn & DC... then those heavily modded Xboxes with XBMC. Was pretty much my door into everything NeoGeo. Having all those games in the one unit gave me some great buyers insight.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
We've always relied on the forums, eBay and the like (probably in that order.)
I've found forums the best value lately, especially the 'close-knit' ones where regulars get to know and respect each other, and are willing to ask fair prices if they know you won't go and flip it tomorrow on eBay for a profit. That's where I've found my recent AES carts...

eBay Japan is good to pick up the very common games, if you're after any of them. Scored a batch of 10 NGCD in near-mint condition from Japan the other day. Noticed a few AES titles around too.

Agreed, the AES consoles are getting harder to find, even in Japan. I got mine about 2 years ago, with S-video and UniBIOS installed. They're quite a bit more expensive now!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah. Not too dissimilar to what grabbed me.

A combination of early PS1 title releases, then imports for Saturn & DC... then those heavily modded Xboxes with XBMC. Was pretty much my door into everything NeoGeo. Having all those games in the one unit gave me some great buyers insight.

The only ports I could remember playing back in the days was Fatal Fury for the Genny which wasn't all that great and Blades of Blood for Ps1 which wasn't bad but still didn't compare to the Neo Version. I purchased my first Boxed Aes Console on Ebay from Hit Japan back I think in 02-03 for $175 + Shipping. I also began purchasing Aes games from ebay around that time. You could have purchased the pricey games for under $300 around that time but I couldn't afford to throw down that much cash for a game. Eventually I found NG.com around 04-05 and started lurking. Signed up in 06 and here we are.

I only discovered the Saturn and DC ports later on. The Saturn and the DC did the Neo justice but till this day I still prefer to play the real deal whether it's Mvs or Aes on real hardware. It makes me feel like a kid again. Eventually that fire will burn out and I'll get cranky like some older members on this board and just stick to multi carts and the romz :confused: .

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
It gets harder each time you leave and come back. Prices go up and titles become fewer.

As has been said, patience is key. I finally picked up Prehistoric Isle 2 after a few years for the 'right' price the other week.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I purchased my first Boxed Aes Console on Ebay from Hit Japan back I think in 02-03 for $175 + Shipping.

The Saturn and the DC did the Neo justice but till this day I still prefer to play the real deal whether it's Mvs or Aes on real hardware. It makes me feel like a kid again.

It's funny I got an AES off of Hit-Japan too, somehow at the time I figured that was the easiest place to get one. I only have SS2 & FFS for it, I got much more into the MVS & cab. Back around 2000-ish the Dreamcast was my go-to for all fighting games - I was thrilled that LB2, KOFs, & Garou were ported over!