Ironclad MVS Conversion Issues

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
As the title suggests, I am having a bit of difficulty with this Ironclad conversion. I recently got my hands on a super Sidekicks 3 bootleg off eBay , and I figured since it was full of 27c160s, I will convert it into Ironclad.

So far, I have P1, V1, V2, M1, and S1 burnt. The boards being used are PROGGSC + CHA42G-3B. While I was waiting for the 27c160 EPROMs for CHR-ROMs to finish erasing, I decided to plug everything in to see if I got any life. Plugged everything in, and I get no sound. I can play the game (sort of. Just looks like I am playing on a broke ass Atari 2600), but I can't hear anything.

I have tried swapping out the LS139, LS74, LS32, removing yhe LS32, and even swapping out the NEO-ZMC. No matter what I do, I don't get a single bit of audio. At first I thought my system was broken, but then I tested it with a non-working game and I get sound just fine.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
You will want to check J1 to J4 on the CHA42G-3B. Depending on how those are set it will dictate if the M1 rom should be a 27c1000 or a 27c010.

In theory it should be this

27c010:
J1 = OFF
J2 = ON
J3 = ON
J4 = OFF

27c1000:
J1 = ON
J2 = OFF
J3 = OFF
J4 = ON

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
In most cases 27C1001 and 27C010 have the same pinout. 27C301 and 27C100/27C1000 are the non-jedec variants.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
J2 and J3 are already set. I have even tried switching it to J1 a d J4, to no avail.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Have you tried cleaning the cartridge edge? Flux residue can get on there when soldering/desoldering.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is very basic, but just wanted to make sure all bases are covered...

Did you start the game or only watch the intro? Clear the backup ram and try running in AES mode.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I did start the game, but I don't even hear the Neo Geo jingle. clearing backup RAM and setting to console mode does nothing either.

Last edited:

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
It's kind of weird, because there wasn't anything that suggested it was bad. It programmed fine after I erased it, and it even verified okay.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I am so close to having a finished Ironclad, but not yet done with issues. I have all the ROMs programmed and soldered in, and I now have some minor graphical glitches in the game. Not gamebreaking, but sure as hell distracting.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/IizesyUqgGU

The audio issues is not the game, it's my phone's mic. It's dying out.

Last edited:

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
I have tried cleaning the boards, I have tried reflowing the ROMs, I have tried reflowing the NE0-273. No dice

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Just ran a continuity check, and everything seems to be fine. I'm convinced that one of the C ROMs didn't program right. Now the question is, which one?

What I will do is mark, remove, and dump all the C ROMs. Then compare them to the ROMs I have, to see if any of them match properly.

Last edited:

Misos

New Challenger
You can use NGFX to open the c-roms.
I used it to identify wich c-roms were bad in my kof 95.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
You can use NGFX to open the c-roms.
I used it to identify wich c-roms were bad in my kof 95.

Thanks for the reccomendation! I have narrowed it down to C1 and C2, thanks to NGFX. Now to reburn those two and see what happens.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Nope, reburning those two did nothing. I suspect it might be the ROM files themselves

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Did you split the c-rom files into 2MB chunks? The typical roms are 4MB in size. CHA42-G3 only supports 2MB (16mbit) per rom socket.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You are using a total of 8 160's? You have them in correctly?
C1 is now c1+c3
C2 is now c2+c4
C3 is now c5+c7
C4 is now c6+c8
BB

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Yes. I split them down to 8 ROMs, and verified each ROM burnt. Probably should have just ordered new EPROMs, instead of reusing the old ones...

Last edited:

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Well I'm just about stumped. I have resplit and reburnt every last C ROM, and the graphical glitches still persist. I have changed the NE0-273, the various logic chips on the CHA42G-3B, and I even tested continuity on all of them.

I have referenced GadgetUK's video on the conversion, and something of note is that he used a CHA42G-3. The difference between the two is the use of a 74LS32 on the B variant. But I doubt that IC's existence would be disruptive, as that is attached to sound.

Last edited:

Ptchnk

n00b
There are several romsets available for Ironclad. Which one did you use for the P rom. I had issue with US 220-p1u.bin. All the sprites on the screen were turning black temporarily when using the bomb. Same results in Nebula. Didn't really take the time to check for any other glitches. Problem was solved by using the basic 220-p1.bin rom despite the spanish language on first start.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
There are several romsets available for Ironclad. Which one did you use for the P rom. I had issue with US 220-p1u.bin. All the sprites on the screen were turning black temporarily when using the bomb. Same results in Nebula. Didn't really take the time to check for any other glitches. Problem was solved by using the basic 220-p1.bin rom despite the spanish language on first start.

I am using 220-p1.bin, but that does give me one last idea for the night. I will try reburning P1. and see what happens