Ipod Nano - Can someone help?

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
I don't own an iPod and never have. But I work in an electronic store and I need to know how this shit works so: Here's what I've been told.

With most MP3 players (iPod excluded) you link it to your computer via a USB cable. The computer usually automatically detects the "player" as removable storage and you can transfer files (MP3s) to and from there without any hassles.

Now I hear iTunes is a primitive program that comes with the iPod. Basically without it, you can't transfer files.

Is this correct?

I know very little about how iTunes works and many sites seem to be iPod fanboys and I can't get a decent answer.

So my questions are:
1. Do you need iTunes to transfer mp3's to your iPod? I'm more concerned about the Nano over the other products.
2. I know it costs money to download songs using iTunes. Does iTunes have to be registered for you to use it? If so, is registration free?
3. If I want to transfer MP3's from a friends computer, will I have to bring the iTunes software along and install it on my friends computer in order to transfer the files across?
4. I read that the iPod/iTunes automatically deletes transferred files that it believes to be from an illegal source like from a filesharing program. Is this true?
5. Can you convert tracks from CD's (which you own ie legal copy) to MP3's using iTunes? and if so can this then be transferred to your iPod without any payments being made?

Thanks, in advance.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
iTunes doesnt delete mp3s you ripped or downloaded.

It doesnt cost money to use.

Its just a jukebox program.

You point it at your music folder, hit update and it loads it all into its library (alot like WMP does).

All you do is hit Synch to iPod and it uploads all of the files in your library (or in a playlist, depending on how you set it up).

You can rip cds with iTunes.

Oh, you do need iTunes.

Also, if you try and upload files from another computers library, it will delete whatever is on your ipod and not in the library.

Its meant to be synched to your itunes library and not really a drag and drop platform.

Curt

apostate
BigFred said:
I don't own an iPod and never have. But I work in an electronic store and I need to know how this shit works so: Here's what I've been told.

With most MP3 players (iPod excluded) you link it to your computer via a USB cable. The computer usually automatically detects the "player" as removable storage and you can transfer files (MP3s) to and from there without any hassles.

Now I hear iTunes is a primitive program that comes with the iPod. Basically without it, you can't transfer files.

Is this correct?

I know very little about how iTunes works and many sites seem to be iPod fanboys and I can't get a decent answer.

So my questions are:
1. Do you need iTunes to transfer mp3's to your iPod? I'm more concerned about the Nano over the other products.
2. I know it costs money to download songs using iTunes. Does iTunes have to be registered for you to use it? If so, is registration free?
3. If I want to transfer MP3's from a friends computer, will I have to bring the iTunes software along and install it on my friends computer in order to transfer the files across?
4. I read that the iPod/iTunes automatically deletes transferred files that it believes to be from an illegal source like from a filesharing program. Is this true?
5. Can you convert tracks from CD's (which you own ie legal copy) to MP3's using iTunes? and if so can this then be transferred to your iPod without any payments being made?

Thanks, in advance.

1. No, Windows Media Player, and pretty much all other Music programs work.
2. Registration is free and easy. You need a Credit Card Though.
3. Not necessarily, and you can only be linked with one "library" at a time, so if you were to plug into his, it would erase all the stuff from the Ipod from your computer and start filling it with his stuff. You're better off just transfering the songs you need to your itunes library. You could go to his house and "drag and drop" the files you wanted from his my music folder directly into the nanos root drive, (d: or whatever) then bring the nano back to your PC and import the new songs into your itunes library and it would update the next time....
4. No.
5. Yes, it's the easiest way you can possibly rip/convert CDs--->MP3's I believe. It takes literally 1 click. Absolutely free.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Curt said:
You could go to his house and "drag and drop" the files you wanted from his my music folder directly into the nanos root drive, (d: or whatever) then bring the nano back to your PC and import the new songs into your itunes library and it would update the next time....

So, what you're saying is that the iPod is recognised as a removable storage device when linked to a computer?

Does this mean that you can also transfer other files to the iPod? (Like word documents for example)

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
BigFred said:
So, what you're saying is that the iPod is recognised as a removable storage device when linked to a computer?

Does this mean that you can also transfer other files to the iPod? (Like word documents for example)

Thanks for the reply's guys. It's just I've had a girl at work (she's the bosses daughter) tell customers that the iPod sucks and that it will cost money, to transfer songs into it. Basically, she lies to customers in order to get sales. Shits me right off. But once again thanks for the reply's.

Yep anything you want. It IS recognized as a Removable Storage Device.

The stuff you drag and drop will not be viewable/listenable on the Nano necessarily though. But you can use it for transporting any file you want, even very large files like videos etc.

With the exception of .txt notes. There is a folder for documents, which can display simple text documents. Convert a word document to .txt, drag and drop and you're ready to go, and it can be read anywhere via your nano. You can also transfer your calendar from MS outlook, as well as your contacts list.

And yeah, they dont charge you to transfer songs on it. Only $.99 to buy a song at the store, and no additional fees, which I feel is very reasonable.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I love iTunes. It's fantastic. It auto-organizes everything, easily allows access to Podcasting, used the smaller and better AAC files, can use MP3 anyway, rips CDs fast, easily, etc.

Seriously, why anyone would have bad to say about it seems weird to me. Plus, I never use the iTunes music store, though I'm considering it. Rare album unavailable in most stores, and I'm good at tracking that shit down.

But you could download from Limewire all day and put that shit on there no problem. I do that for comedy albums. Great for when I'm at work.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
iTunes is nice for transferring files to teh iPod and buying the occasional song when you don't want to buy the whole record. Can't stand it for listening to music though. Yuck.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Thanks again. Well, at least I have a deeper understanding of what the product features. Seems like the main disadvantage of the Nano is that it is very easy to scratch. But that can't be helped.

I know of people, (customers) that purchased the protective sock, but that seems to scratch the product as well.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I just recently bought the Nano and I will say that its great. iTunes is required to do all your transferring but the advantages it brings really outweigh that small nuance. Im gonna buy my gf a video iPod for x-mas....does anyone know the pros/cons of that model as far as transferring video and if it has to be a particular format?

O.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
BigFred said:
Thanks again. Well, at least I have a deeper understanding of what the product features. Seems like the main disadvantage of the Nano is that it is very easy to scratch. But that can't be helped.

That's an understatement. At least when it comes to the underside of it. The shiny metal part. I've had mine for exactly a week and it looks like hell. It's only been in actual use for two days as I've been studying for exams, but the underside has been scratched all to hell by the nano just lying on my desk. The white part of it and the screen look fine though.

Still shouldn't keep people from purchasing this nice little music player. I'm extatic that I could finally scratch together the cash for one.

Curt

apostate
I put my Nano in my pocket for litterally 10 seconds. It went in brand new, I walked to the elevator, pulled it out and it was scratched to hell.

Stupid.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm gonna try that Winamp shit. My preferred music player anyway.

Curt said:
I put my Nano in my pocket for litterally 10 seconds. It went in brand new, I walked to the elevator, pulled it out and it was scratched to hell.

Stupid.

They should use something that's ugly from the start so people don't think they've been mean to their iPods.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Argh. Fuck my stupid Winamp crap. It hates all plug-ins. Nothing works. Neither the in_mp4 shit nor that iPod stuff works. Can't even find the latter anywhere at all. I've just re-installed Winamp a couple of times so I don't fucking understand what's wrong.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
1 more question:
Can you still use iTunes to transfer music files to your iPod without registering it?

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
can u play vids on the old ipods or just ipodvideo?

& when will ipodvideo be under $299?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
BigFred said:
1 more question:
Can you still use iTunes to transfer music files to your iPod without registering it?

You dont have to register your iTunes to do anything with your iPod.

Also, just so you know, there is no way to delete songs off your ipod from the ipod itself.

To delete songs you have to get rid of them in you iTunes library and then re-synch your iPod.

Probably my biggest problem with the stupid things is that.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
YO-YO-Boy said:
can u play vids on the old ipods or just ipodvideo?

& when will ipodvideo be under $299?

i'll tell you, if you tell me when Halo 3 is coming out and when will they mark it down to 29 dollars?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Nesagwa said:
You dont have to register your iTunes to do anything with your iPod.

Also, just so you know, there is no way to delete songs off your ipod from the ipod itself.

To delete songs you have to get rid of them in you iTunes library and then re-synch your iPod.

Probably my biggest problem with the stupid things is that.

Not true. You can drag, drop, and delete stuff to your heart's content in iTunes:

Preferences > iPod > Manualy manage songs and playlists

I love iTunes. Once you learn how to deal with files it makes it easy to be super organized. I'm just a plain neatfreak, especially when it comes to files. And with 4000+ music files and climbing constantly, that's important to me.

As for the scratching issue, there are some cases you can buy that are actually good and keep it from getting disfigured. My first one went through no case then two cases and was scratched to hell. That one broke and Apple replaced it under warranty and this new case I got protects it great. Only some slight scratches on the side from pulling taking it out of the case on a regular basis. Nice looking on the iPod to boot. Look for reviews on cases and get one online. You have a much wider selection than in-store.

I heart my iPod. CDs/DVDs are for chumps.

BIG

sony fanboy
O. Yashiro said:
I just recently bought the Nano and I will say that its great. iTunes is required to do all your transferring but the advantages it brings really outweigh that small nuance. Im gonna buy my gf a video iPod for x-mas....does anyone know the pros/cons of that model as far as transferring video and if it has to be a particular format?

O.

I believe it only supports MPEG-4,much like the PSP.

Sucks.

B-

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
BIG said:
I believe it only supports MPEG-4,much like the PSP.

Sucks.

B-

Yeah, I was going to get one, but the inconvenience of the video put me off a bit.. That and it kills the battery super fast (2 hours fast).

I heard it's a fantastic iPod, but the video is just a bonus. Otherwise, it's smaller, bigger storage, better screen and lighter than the last gen.

I still think about getting one myself.