Installed unibios in AES, but pulled solder pads

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Apparently my desolder skills really suck despite having a good desoldering gun. I tried installing my unibios that I got from JAMMA Nation and a few of the pads came up. I went each pin one by one to check for continuity and ran jumpers to the pin holes I broke. I thought it would fix it but I get nothing but screen garbage. Anyone able to help out? Recommend someone? I also want a neobitz installed as well. I’d appreciate the help.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You have the pinout from Jamma Nation X, right? Double check every connection. I've been down this road multiple times before. If you just check every connection you'll get it working.

batesey

n00b
I’ve had this happen to me too, luckily it happened to a junk MV1C board that I was trying to get back up and running, so it wasn’t a real loss if I totally screwed things up. I took a pic of where i’d removed chips with my phone, so that I could “re-trace” the lifted pads that connect through the Vias that sat under said chips. When I soldered the new chips in place, that pic came in handy to locate the via from the other side of the board; a new patch wire soldered in, a continuity check and amazingly, the board is back up and running...albeit with a minor sound issue that I’ll hopefully figure out soon :-) as Neo Alex said, be diligent in checking allllll the connections...you’ll get her back up and running I’m sure.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Back up and running! Looking at the bios pinout on Jamma-Nation X, I lost the trace going from pin 19 to pin 5 on the 68000 chip. I ran a jumper and it came back immediately. Thanks to all above for the advice!

I went ahead and installed my Neobitz to get S-video as well. My picture above looks good, but I get a lot of rainbow shimmering. This normal for the encoder on a LCD TV? My eventual plan is to have it hooked up to one of my PVMs.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
When I installed mine I broke a few traces but weirdly they were further down the line, it's like the stress of desoldering the original bios caused them to break. Real pain in the ass finding the culprits. Glad you got it sorted!! Have fun man.

Is it normal to get rainbow shimmering on s-video? I thought it was just composite but to be honest I can't remember the last time I used s-video... What version mobo is yours? 3-6? have you done the jailbar fix yet?

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
It’s a revision 5. I haven’t done any other mods yet. I still need to wire up the RCA jacks for stereo and put in the LED reset switch.