Individual Game Museums

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
We all have our favorite game on the NEO, but how many of us love that game enough to have tracked down every item related to it? Or at least is trying to?

This would include every version of the game; AES and MVS full kits, NGCD, Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast etc.. versions in every language/region it was released.

Then you have all the other goodies that may or may not be available for your particular game. Flyers, posters, large marquees, promo material (such as magazine ads, cover appearances), mooks, players guides, soundtracks, laser discs, VHS tapes, alarm clocks, pencil boards, mouse pads and so on, you get the idea.

Has anyone attempted this? If so please post pics and share your experiences trying to track down all those elusive pieces to complete your individual game museum.

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I started to with Twinkle Star Sprites, but then realized I have neither the cash, nor the stomach to handle all of the cutesy shit. Learned my lesson pretty quick on that one.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
We all have our favorite game on the NEO, but how many of us love that game enough to have tracked down every item related to it? Or at least is trying to?

This would include every version of the game; AES and MVS full kits, NGCD, Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast etc.. versions in every language/region it was released.

Then you have all the other goodies that may or may not be available for your particular game. Flyers, posters, large marquees, promo material (such as magazine ads, cover appearances), mooks, players guides, soundtracks, laser discs, VHS tapes, alarm clocks, pencil boards, mouse pads and so on, you get the idea.

Has anyone attempted this? If so please post pics and share your experiences trying to track down all those elusive pieces to complete your individual game museum.

I see some of this at the Assembler forums. Looking at promotional material, it can get real expensive. I like the idea, but seems very hard to track down all things related at this point unless it is a new game. Imagine if your favorite game was say R-Type II.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the closest i came to this was with the king of fighters series. i had copies of the same game on aes,mvs,saturn,ps1,dreamcast and ps2. also tried to collect kof posters and figures.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a handful of games on all the Neo formats but not really interested in collecting all the ports and merchandise.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I have gone a bit anal on Final Fight;

PCB (World) - Final Fight

Super Nintendo (US)

Final Fight
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3

Super Famicom

Final Fight
Final Fight Guy
Final Fight 2
Final Fight Tough

Saturn

Final Fight Revenge

ST-V

Final Fight Revenge

XBOX 360

Final Fight: Double Impact

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I have a lot of games on multiple formats. Simply do it when I love the game.

So far, like Bogard said, I'm a bit in the same boat as him altough I do it for more game series.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I remember a member here having an impressive Castlevania collection with pictures, but I can't remember who.

Pics of the goods!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
One of our all time favorite members here has an amazing section of his website dedicated to The Super Spy. It has some amazing details about the game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Personally, I'm only interested in software. Can't play merchandise, even if it's sweet to look at. But ask StealthLurker on his idea of a video game related museum. He sure has the ambition and the guts to pull it off.

I have gone a bit anal on Final Fight;

PCB (World) - Final Fight

You're missing the CPS Changer version -- the only 1:1 on a home console. I'm currently trying to track it down. It will be a tough one...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Personally, I'm only interested in software. Can't play merchandise, even if it's sweet to look at. But ask StealthLurker on his idea of a video game related museum. He sure has the ambition and the guts to pull it off.

You're missing the CPS Changer version -- the only 1:1 on a home console. I'm currently trying to track it down. It will be a tough one...

What about the x68k version?

Also missing: Mega CD :p

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
BTW...my Neo game obsession is Real Bout. It's not my favorite. Samsho 2 is my jam. But RBFF had just come out when I got stationed in Okinawa. It was the first video game I played on my first visit to a Japanese arcade. It was in a candy cab. I remember being in the middle of a match when suddenly player 2 joined in the fray to challenge me. I'm sitting there like, WTF?! there's nobody beside me. So after barely eeking out 2 out of 3 rounds this little Okinawan kid walks out from around the machine next to the one I was playing on, gives a mild smile, a short bow and walks away. That was my introduction to 1p cabs being linked to another opposite facing cab. Thus began my slowly developing obsession with that game. I bought a used NGCD system and several games. But me and my roomates kept coming back to RB. I still get a kick out of all the different ways to ring out someone in each level.

So my humble RBFF museum consists of a Jp Aes
US MVS kit
NGCD
Large mvs poster
OST
AST
LD
Saturn Flyer
PSX flyer
Jp mini marquee
Jp official guide book
NeoGeo collection RB wrist watch
RB poster from Mar 96 NGF magazine
US NeoGeo '96 software flyer (featuring real bout)
RB large marquee
RB postcard

Still missing alot.
Feb and march 96 issues of ngf
Psx official guidebook
Mvs flyer
Gamest vhs
Saturn poster
Psx poster
US Aes (probably not gonna happen and it bums me out!)
JP mvs kit
And every non SNK system version of the game.
That's only what I know I'm missing lol

My goal is to eventually have everything framed or in a shadow box and hung on my walls. I have the two flyers, poster and arts from the kit already custom framed.
Maybe one day I'll get close to having a pretty respectable RB appreciation museum.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Although I really like the idea of getting everything from a certain game I think you will have a hard time to do so. Unless you have an official list of every merchandise (which I doubt it exists) I even reckon this quest impossible. Especially SNK released so much merch stuff one can easily lose track of what to look for. T-Shirts, Soundtracks, Posters, Key Chains, Watches, Pen and Paper stuff, Tele Cards, Trading Cards, Figures, Flyers, Guidebooks, Advertisements, the games themselve and other obscure stuff (like the Magical Drop candy glass for instance)... you see the list is endless. And unless you know what to look for you cannot call you collection complete.

Take Real Bout for instance. I have some trading cards for it, five to be exact. I just got them by coincidence, but in order to obtain them you had to send in part of the soundtrack spine cards (proof of purchase). So how would you know they exist, hell I have never seen them before anywhere else. Sure they are worth nothing, just a small piece of paper, but in order to call your collection complete, you would need them.

Spoiler:
img_20161118_093450ublez.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...in order to obtain them you had to send in part of the soundtrack spine cards (proof of purchase). So how would you know they exist, hell I have never seen them before anywhere else. Sure they are worth nothing, just a small piece of paper, but in order to call your collection complete, you would need them.

...and then you'd still have to buy your OST again, because with a damaged obi, it's not complete. To quote LoneSage: Madness!!!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Never really been interested in having it all. Maybe there was a fleeting thought though years ago of doing that but after multiple acquisitions and clear outs I've come to the conclusion that its not to be. Though really I'd never want to be that deep into anything. It's hoarding which is never good, doesn't matter if its games or fuckin' pens.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
To have got all the merchandise and extras of a game, is not important for me. I think that it's more related with a personal obsession. I have seen a lot of bad and good articles for fans, and I always like to select which is good and which not. Some times, I like to add some flyers or catalogs to my little collection. I know these items are not for play with them, but it's interesting too.

img_20161118_093450ublez.jpg

@suicidekiller: A lucky coincidence, undoubtedly. I love this stuff, specially the Joe and Mai's cards.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
What about the x68k version?

Also missing: Mega CD :p

I have the Mega CD version (Japanese) and GBA (UK/US/JPN). Forgot to mention those. Will take pics soon.

CPS changer version - too expensive for me :crying:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
the closest i came to this was with the king of fighters series. i had copies of the same game on aes,mvs,saturn,ps1,dreamcast and ps2. also tried to collect kof posters and figures.

Same here. Fatal Fury, KOF, Ninja Gaiden and DOA games, posters, figures, mangas, anime, movies, books, etc. were all fair game too. I even helped kickstart that recent live action Fatal Fury film (which I hope turns out well). I still own a lot of the merch and promo stuff, but eventually had to slow down a bit. Unfortnately, room and shelf space come at a premium (I also collect a lot of other merch from other things I like). Although I collect a lot of toys and merch, I still hate owning copies of games that I don't have time to play so I curated my system libraries a few years back.