I'm only about 8 years late: ff14 is awesome

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So I've been playing ff14 on a whim, and I love it. I never played WOW, but did do Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. Anyone here play this (still) or did years ago? I'm playing as a Gladiator atm and am kinda pissed how much I like it.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
FF14 or FF15? I guess it doesn't matter, they are both horrible games.

FF14: Absolutely zero fun. How are you enjoying it?? You don't even have to think to play the game. Same spellcasting loops, it's even more simplified than the most simple MMOs out there. Not to mention it's a horrible Final Fantasy title. Bad music, bad design, total $$-pit especially if you intend to NOT waste 72 hours completing hundreds awful "story" quests just to unlock basic game features-- you have to buy a cheat crystal for $10 to avoid this. I was on DRUGS trying to get to the POINT of this game, and after 2 or 3 days I completely gave up after I finally saw what the fruits were for my labor: Harry Potter music in a shitty dungeon casting the same spells over and over.

FF15: gay, too short, DLC scam, bad game

PS happy birthday

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
My fault. 14. Not 15. I thought 15 was sorta blah.

So you obviously didn't like it. Lol. My god, you shit all over it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I first played Final Fantasy XI in like 2005 or 2006 or something, and that game was totally awesome. Yes it was very Japanese and grindy but it was awesome. FFXIV is like.... it's like fucking a room temperature fleshlight after some real living pussy & ass flesh

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ewww this entire thread is making me sick.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can relate to the 'I'm about 8 years too late' part. I'm out of touch with many things.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It's a better Final Fantasy game than anything they've released since VI, in my opinion. Unless you count VII Remake, which I thought was brilliant but there is some debate as to whether or not VII qualifies as FF for you. Many people consider it a betrayal of the comfortable aesthetic, so that's the argument.

XIV embraces the series' fantasy roots like no game has since IX. Or XI. But this game's vastly superior graphic fidelity means you can hit the mark closer.

The game's biggest weaknesses are the 'busy work' aspects (dailies, crafting, etc.) and it's unwillingness to take chances. There is a moment in the storyline that is 'Red Wedding' tier betrayal and I was like 'damn, this is ballsy'.

Except that they restored everything to how it was. Boo.

The monthly paywall is also going to be an obstacle to many but not to me.

I stopped playing a few years back. It's a massive time sink and the investiture into other human beings playing was becoming a drain on me. I got sick of mitigating everyone's drama and I wasn't even a guild leader. Nor would I want to be. Playing these 'second life' style games is a trap for the socially inept.

One time someone came to me and said 'hey you're good at resolving problems between players. Can I ask you a question?'

'You DO realize I said I was done doing this, right?'

'Yeah but I don't know who else to go to. This is too complicated.'

'Okay, fine. Let's hear it.'

'There's a player that really likes me. Has asked to date me IRL and stuff. He really likes how I designed my miqote' (miqote are female cat humanoids btw)

'Okay I can see how that would be a little offputting.'

'He thinks I'm a girl IRL and I don't know how to tell him I'm a guy IRL. I don't want to hurt his feelings.'

My ACTUAL reaponse.

'OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!'

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm still playing FFXI to this day off and on. Amazingly the game is over 18 years old now and still getting updates every month. Crazy.

@Sylvie, FFXI is not the same game you remember from back then. It's way easier to level up and is way more friendly to casual gamers then ever. There is hard as fuck group content even now for some crazy rewards but yeah. Overall it's easier to get your foot in the door then it was back in 2003.

Edit: Someone a long time ago asked me what server I'm on which is Sylph which is a slow server compared to others. My character name is Snk which I totally did to honor Gui_Long here who was very well known for getting under Dion's and Chris Ray's skin so much. lol

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It's a better Final Fantasy game than anything they've released since VI, in my opinion. Unless you count VII Remake, which I thought was brilliant but there is some debate as to whether or not VII qualifies as FF for you. Many people consider it a betrayal of the comfortable aesthetic, so that's the argument.

XIV embraces the series' fantasy roots like no game has since IX. Or XI. But this game's vastly superior graphic fidelity means you can hit the mark closer.

The game's biggest weaknesses are the 'busy work' aspects (dailies, crafting, etc.) and it's unwillingness to take chances. There is a moment in the storyline that is 'Red Wedding' tier betrayal and I was like 'damn, this is ballsy'.

Except that they restored everything to how it was. Boo.

The monthly paywall is also going to be an obstacle to many but not to me.

I stopped playing a few years back. It's a massive time sink and the investiture into other human beings playing was becoming a drain on me. I got sick of mitigating everyone's drama and I wasn't even a guild leader. Nor would I want to be. Playing these 'second life' style games is a trap for the socially inept.

One time someone came to me and said 'hey you're good at resolving problems between players. Can I ask you a question?'

'You DO realize I said I was done doing this, right?'

'Yeah but I don't know who else to go to. This is too complicated.'

'Okay, fine. Let's hear it.'

'There's a player that really likes me. Has asked to date me IRL and stuff. He really likes how I designed my miqote' (miqote are female cat humanoids btw)

'Okay I can see how that would be a little offputting.'

'He thinks I'm a girl IRL and I don't know how to tell him I'm a guy IRL. I don't want to hurt his feelings.'

My ACTUAL reaponse.

'OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!'
This is the primary reason I don't get into MMOs. People often times can't separate playing games from real relationships, to their detriment.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I
This is the primary reason I don't get into MMOs. People often times can't separate playing games from real relationships, to their detriment..
In fairness, I contributed to the.problem by making a peacemaker of myself. It led to a perception that I was someone others could confide in. It wasn't true. At times I was being asked to share information because someone 'was worried' for that person. Other times I found myself getting angry at people for being so stupid without taking into account who they were, what their challenges inside were and otherwise not exercising the kind of empathy they actually needed to improve the situation. I became a nanny because they thought I cared. I actually did it because I have a problem with trying too hard to fix other people and things. It gets you in deeper than you might think.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm still playing FFXI to this day off and on. Amazingly the game is over 18 years old now and still getting updates every month. Crazy.

@Sylvie, FFXI is not the same game you remember from back then. It's way easier to level up and is way more friendly to casual gamers then ever. There is hard as fuck group content even now for some crazy rewards but yeah. Overall it's easier to get your foot in the door then it was back in 2003.

Edit: Someone a long time ago asked me what server I'm on which is Sylph which is a slow server compared to others. My character name is Snk which I totally did to honor Gui_Long here who was very well known for getting under Dion's and Chris Ray's skin so much. lol
Oh yea, I actually got back into retail in 2012 or 2013. It was way too easy-- some creepy literal family (2 brothers and a mom) took me in and gave me millions of gil because I was a girl . It was fun, but felt kinda like god-mode, especially since the hardcore gamers have moved on to newer games, so its not as fun.

Occasionally I play EdenXI which is a private server that stays within the 03 - 07/08 era. I don't have the time to sink into it. I actually got to Jeuno, and when I went to do that dungeon there, I got scared and stopped playing cuz I died just trying to get to my party :(

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Right now I'm doing this new Odyessy content with a static group. You really have to be well geared to kill in this content. The trust system alone makes the game easy as fuck to level up now with.