IGS PGM3

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
While getting back into PGM and PGM2 stuff, I came across PGM3 and its Knights of Valour 3 HD. I totally forgot this even existed. Is KoV3 HD the only title released for it?

The system looks interesting enough, with both JAMMA and JVS support, 16:9 and 4:3 modes, the usual 2P integration and so on.

Does anyone on the forums have this? I'd be interested in opinions, current price for the hardware, how much of an upgrade is the HD version, and is it worth the money, etc. Thanks!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
From what I understand it's just the KOV3 from the PGM2 with higher res graphics. KOV3 is indeed the only released game. AFAIK the video output is only via DVI or VGA.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
From what I understand it's just the KOV3 from the PGM2 with higher res graphics. KOV3 is indeed the only released game.

That's too bad. PGM and PGM2 offered some solid beat 'em ups. KoV3 HD was the only title I saw for the PGM3, but since it's such a niche system, I thought maybe something is out there, but no one actually bothered to write about it. Is it only higher resolution graphics or some extra levels, characters, a layer of polish to the gameplay?

AFAIK the video output is only via DVI or VGA.

I've found an old thread on Arcade Otaku with some pictures of the mobo with the game installed. It does have a JAMMA edge, and supposedly, it has a hi-res / lo-res setting via DIPs. Someone posted the config further down the thread.

How much can this thing go for these days? Used, game and board only, preferably. I have seen only one eBay listing for it, and it's $998 plus another $50 for the shipping. It is a full kit with card readers, cards, papers and the 2nd player JAMMA harness, but that's a bit much for me. Especially since it's an HD upgrade.

This place also has it, but again, it's a new kit, and they don't specify the shipping cost. The kit alone is $870. Again, a bit much. This isn't a CAVE game. I've seen it listed here in a thread from 2014 for $425, for what would seem like a kit. That's a far more reasonable price, but that kit doesn't seem like something that should double in value over the years, especially since you're buying a one game system.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It couldn't hurt to send a message to sheep nova, he's always flush with PGM stuff and might have access to some of these.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
It couldn't hurt to send a message to sheep nova, he's always flush with PGM stuff and might have access to some of these.

Funny you should mention Sheep Nova. I have just bought some PGM stuff from him. It's the first time I'm dealing with this seller, so this is kind of reassuring. I'll ask, for sure.

madman

I'm aware it has a JAMMA edge, it's pretty obvious to see. There's a thread here where it was mentioned the output is DVI/VGA only and I've seen auctions that mention that as well. That thread you linked also says it's high-res only. If you were going to use it in a lo-res cab, it'd made more sense to get the PGM2 version. This really just seems like a board made for the modern LCD cabs, but go for it if you want to purchase it.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
That thread you linked also says it's high-res only.

Someone in that thread mentioned the manual which comes with the board has the DIP settings wrong, which is why some guy couldn't get it to work on his cabinet. Another member posted correct DIP settings, specifying hi-lo res switch. Would they really use the JAMMA edge if there's no video signal on it? Why not go JVS all the way? If what you're saying is true, you can't use that JAMMA anyway [for anything else than controls and audio, I guess], unless you run the JVS signals through an I/O board or something of that sort. Strange indeed.

This really just seems like a board made for the modern LCD cabs, but go for it if you want to purchase it.

I just got curious, that's all. I always liked PGM stuff, and seeing this again got me excited, but not excited enough to spend $900 on a single HD remake. If the price is right, though ... I'd definitely like to check it out.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
It's strictly Hi-Res graphics - no gameplay changes. I don't mind that there's only one game on the hardware; I prefer to keep a mother for each game as it is, the issue is it truly is a $300 price bump for slightly better graphics; that isn't going to either be compatible, or show a difference, on most cabs. I sold mine and kept my PGM2 setup.

madman

Last time Legend had the PGM3 sets they were $388. Either way, as mjmjmjmjmj said, you're paying a large premium for very minor improvement. My other concern would be if something goes wrong w/the mobo you're basically re-buying the whole kit as loose PGM3 mobos never show up. With PGM2 you'd likely have other mobos in the event of a failure. If you're a huge fan of the game/series and have a 16:9 LCD I guess it could be worth it.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
HKL charges big ship though - I think my last box was like 7lbs and $70. If Simon (sheep) has it, he'll still be a better price, like $410 I think he was wanting last time. He has KoV3 PGM2 for like $175-185 usually.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Where does going for a full MVS kit stand on that scale?

Pretty high. You should probably trade me your kits for loose carts to reduce your collectard level.